Which Tyres?

Can anyone recommend some good tyres, clinchers

thanks

--------- __o

------- _`<,_

------ (*)/ (*)

Comments

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Vittoria or veloflex - both very fast and of high quality, although maybe more suited to dry conditions

I find Continental to have better grip in the wet
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    As someone has started a specific tyre thread, I hope no one minds me bumping a question about tyres I put on another thred?

How much faster will light fast tyres be (say over a OD 40KM ride) than heavier more pucture proof ones? This info would be useful to determine if the extra risk of puctures is worth taking.

• First timerFirst timer Posts: 139
    To be honest I use shwalbe puncture proofs excellent tyres never had any problems even rode from John O'Groats to Lands End last year on a set with not one spot of bother.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    My personal choice is Michelin pro race.

In answer to the light weight v Puncture resistance,I would have to say that if you stood in a good position to get a podium finish with the time difference just a couple of seconds between the top 5,then yes go with the lightweight.If you puncture you will lose at least a min(thats going with the fastest option of using pitstop),repairing it ,pushing you down the results list.

Even the most puncture resistant tyres can still blow,if you use the same bike/wheels/tyres for training and racing then the most cost efficient way would be going for heavy puncture resistant ones.

You could also factor in that if it was a long course the chance of getting a puncture is increased,but 4 mins lost repairing it,could be made up.
  • i have swapped tyres to gatorskins, the only time i ever seemed to get punctures was in races, on a short race spending time fixing a puncture seems pointless, i'd go with a more resistant tyre and race with the peace of mind, unless your elite and a top position is really important to you, then enjoying the race is the most important thing, sitting on the side of the road, taking skin off your humbs trying to get a tyre back on, watching everyone flying past is not fun, for the sake of may be a minute on lighter tyres, eveyones different, it depends what is most important to you.
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    Just fitted some Schwalbe Ultremo R Evolutions - unbelievably good!!!!!!! (700 23c)

I went out for a quick 20min ride (well I am tapering) over a known route and what a difference over my Conti GrandPrix 4000s - they take a huge amount of bumps/road buzz out of the ride on my bike. On the puncture resistance who knows! but I will be taking a spare tyre and 2 inners with me to Wimbleball on Sunday!

i.
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    Conehead wrote:

Schwalbe Stelvio - and Michelin pro race 3 is supposed to be ok.  I'd go for puncture resistance over rolling resistance everytime.

Peace of mind.

why not have both? I have a set of michelin pro lights, pretty much the best clincher rolling resistance you can get, bested only by veloflex, coming up to 500 miles no punctures.

If you have the correct pressure in a decent tyre with latex innertubes you should never really puncture unless you get a pinch.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I have a bit of a newbie question, what are clinchers? and what's the alternative and differences?
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    clinchers are what you have mate!

they are essentially a tyre on the outside, separate inner tube, which when pumped up pushes the tyre onto the inside of the rim clinching it on I guess!

The alternative are tubulars or tubs, these are what you would get it you took that tyre and put the inner tube inside and then sewed it up. You then glue the whole thing onto the rim. I have these and use them for racing only.

If you are new to all of this I wouldn't get too hung up of the difference, there aren't too many tubs around these days and you would never get them on a new bike
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Thanks Tommi
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Combatdwarf

I have Schwalbe Ultremos and recommended them on another thread.

Got warned off about blowouts, Did some searching and found the successor, the Ultremo R's are the ones that are having blowouts. Think it may only be a batch but suggest you look into it pretty ASAP
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Zacnici wrote:

Did some searching and found the successor, the Ultremo R's are the ones that are having blowouts.

Thats not strictly true.....ALL types of Ultremo are having problems, mine failed and were the older Evo version.........

Have a look........

Schwalbe Ultremo Clincher Reviews

Schwalbe Ultremo clincher tire?? :: Weight Weenies

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    There are quite a few tub shod wheels about - all the Zipp range and the vast majority of discs are tubular
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Conti GP4000's.

Only ever had 2 punctures and that was riding over broken glass and nails all over the road... don't ask.

• threekneesthreeknees Posts: 19
    Gotta agree with Zacnici...

I too am racing in Wimbleball this week and was gutted to read the recent reports of the Schwalbe tearing apart because of a manufacturing problem....

http://www.schwalbetires.com/ultremo_warning_home

Am considering getting others fitted on Thursday and 'wearing' them in a wee bit on the turbo before Sunday...would be gutted if my tyre completely shat it after all my hard work.

F

• husslerhussler Posts: 237
    When I used clinchers I used Conti GP 4000's very good and never got a puncture....

I now use Tubs on everything with Conti Competition Pro.....awesome 19mm too:)