Home Chat General Chat

First Tri

Hi guys,

I've got my first triathlon coming up on Wednesday evening at Dorney lake. I'm feeling more nervous than excited at the minute, although I'm sure that'll change on the start line. How did you feel before your first one, and have you got any top tips to help me record a good time/not come dead last.

Cheers

JB

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    The colour of nerves is brown! Are you feeling brown?

Tip tip on the bike - Ride it like just stole it!

Conehead said in another thread that you should swim like you dont have to ride and ride like you dont have to run!

Go out give it your all but dont blow up in the swim! Get hyfrated acouple of days before and keep drinking water like theres no tomorrow!

the best tip ENJOY IT! you will love it!!!!!
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    So jealous that you guys down south get to do midweek evening tris!

Hope you have a good one!

• BmanBman Posts: 442
    lets just say I spent some quality time in the portaloo before the start. it was at dorney too, got really nervous just before we got it, but the start was great and I took a mouthful of water cos I was laughing so much. Bobs your auntie and it was done (with some huffing in between). I promise you wont regret it, no matter how long you do it in (fade into sepia image of me on my bum in T1 trying to tie my shoelaces with a dizzy head and the mrs shouting at me asking me what im doing and telling me to get up and go).

Tips: I saved the most time between my first 2 races by speeding up T1, so getting the wetsuit off quicker, number belt (no shirt with numbers pinned to it, not easy to get over wet trisuit), elastic laces, no socks, and shoes already on the bike. But if you havent practiced stuff like that, do what you have practiced and just do it fast.

T1 and T2 are the easiest places to make up time. good luck.
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    Cheers for the responses guys,

I'm still bricking it a bit, but also quite excited. Someone has to come last I suppose, but I'm gonna work damn hard to make sure it isn't me!

I'll let you know how it went later on

JB
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Good luck Jellybaby! Had my first tri at Dorney lake a few weeks back. Made a few rookie errors (wetsuit on back to front to start with) and blew up on the swim so basically did half breaststroke as I thought I would DNF.

Came through it though and loved it and I'm guessing you will too!

Try and get in the water a good 5mins before the start though would be my advice (I basically had to jump in and go due to wetsuit issues above) swim around a bit, get used to it and bl00dy nail it!
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Good luck JB. Don't think about coming last. Run your own race. The losers are those who don't even compete.

p.s. you won't come last.
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    Well, it's all over now and I had a f***ing great time.

The swim went far better than expected, with me being through T1 on the bike in 16:23.

Was rather disappointed with my cycling section, which took 44:07, and I probably ought to have done it in 39 or so, but was fairly dizzy for the first bit and knackered for the swim.

Finished the run in 29:19, which, while not quick, was under half an hour which I'm ecstatic about. Also had a sprint finish with a guy who I'd been just ahead of for most of the race who caught me up on the run – Cheers Graeme.

In all I finished in 1:29:49.

Good bits

Met some really excellent people who kept me going and pushed me to the end

Achieved all of my objectives for my first race:

Overall under 1:30

Don't be last out of the swim

Don't be last overall.

Run under 30 mins.

Woohoo!

Not so good bits

Cycle was not as good as I had hoped, was not ready for the dizziness after the swim.

Learning points:

My swim is not as weak as I thought - maybe start a bit nearer the front next time

Need to concentrate on running, a lot.

Need to do some swim to bike bricks.

Final thought:

Bring on the next one!

• BmanBman Posts: 442
    Hey Congrats jellybaby, you are a triathlete!!
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    well done jellybaby, Just over a week to mine and i'm really looking forward to it.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Great result jellybaby.

I took the advice of some guys on here re: swimming/dizziness etc..and that is to 'leap' out of the pool after every swim and run around for a bit. It's certainly worked for me. The others in the pool must think I'm nuts but who cares? I probably do about four 'leaps' per session depending on what training I'm doing. Touch wood no dizziness.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Bring on the newest Triathlete to the fold Jelly baby.

Good work dude. Now you have the bug its time to start paying for new kit.

well done dude!