Home Chat General Chat

just starting advice needed

hi, i have been pursuaded by a friend to do a few tri's this yr. I am currently ridin my dads old puequot road bike so i really need a new 1. Have looked at the giant OCR1 but would like to no some other triathletes opinions. also i wud like to no about wetsuits. I heard that orca made good 1s but they seem expensive.

cheers,

dan

p.s my bike limit is £400

Comments

• loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    The "any words of wisdom" thread http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=277 Has loads of good bits and pieces on it that will help.

But basically regarding bikes is that unless you really want to spend all that money a few upgrades (some or all which can be used on future bikes) will see you right in the first year.

These are namely

Clippless pedals and shoes

Aero bars

and slick racing tyres..

There are a couple of which bike threads (I will look for these later)

Orca are apparently extremely good but as you say expensive - this tread http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=180 has some advice

I am sure the more experience triers on here will beable add to this but I hope it should get you started

• DuD3DuD3 Posts: 1
    hey, I got a ribble mirage 9 last season and it was great for triathlons. Only £500 but an amazing quality bike with really good finishing kit. Dont know if they are still doing it but worth a try and a look.
  • SetantaSetanta Posts: 42
    Wetsuits are expensive but you can get last years model and in some cases even 04 suits at a greatly discounted price.

Check out http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk for 04 suits and they also have more expensive newer suits. If you are buying a suit though, make sure it is Tri specific as normal wetsuits don't compare. Make sure that it fits you snugly but not too tight that it will smother you.

You can get bikes at your price range at the aforementioned site or www.wiggle.co.uk or www.evanscycles.com.
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    Dan, try http://www.triuk.com/ They have a Giant OCR2 on special for £450 if you can push the budget. They also sell ex-hire wetsuits. You can pick up some good bargains at the various tri shops if you're prepared to buy last season's or the season before's kit.
  • If you're into cycling, and are keen to try triathlons, then I think if you can stretch to a new bike, it's a nice thing to have. They ride so well these days, and £400 will buy you something nice. What about spending that amount on something second hand? You could snap up a beauty! Anyhow, as Loonytoon said, you do need to have some money set aside for accessories, like shoes and clip pedals (if you don't already have these you gotta get them, they make a huge difference), aerobars (same again), helmet and clothing. If you do buy a bike, try to prioritise on frame and wheels. Components are less important and can be upgraded later. If your frame and wheels are good, you can build on them gradually.

Wet suits can usually be bought for a good price after you hire them. I got an Ironman instinct for about £125 after I hired it for the London Triathlon. But get the fit right - it should be quite snug!
  • Its taken me 6 years to get to this point....and now im here I know nothing !! If any one can give a little advice on web sites or publications for beginners regarding training regimes, nutrition and anything else it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
  • Is there a triathlon Association I need to join ??
  • bigmatbigmat Posts: 20
    radiostar,

no, you don't have to join the BTA (british triathlon association), but you will have to pay for a day racing license at each event if you don't. these are normally £5, and are either included in your entry fee, or you pay it on the day. joining the BTA will save you this money, but will also give you loads of other beneifts. check out their website.

as for training, well it's all pretty personal. if you have a stronger discipline ie running, then concentrate more on swimming and cycling in your training. triathlon 101 is a pretty good book to give you a few pointers on training etc. or just keep on reading 220.

matt
  • danmtbdanmtb Posts: 3
    cheers for all of the advice. If you think that they ride so great these days your right but this bike is practically an antique.

http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~Tplan/bicycle/peugeot/pr-1.JPG

there is a pic of google that is almost the same as my dads bike

i've got a gul canoeing wetsuit would that be alright to use in a race

cheers.

• SetantaSetanta Posts: 42
    Use the wetsuit it you know that you can swim a half a mile in it but really the difference between tri specific wetsuits and the gul wetsuit is something else. Your gul absorbs more water and traps more water making it heavier to swim in and it also isn't nearly as bouyant.

At the end of the day it's what you are happy with though.

Good Luck,

Joe
  • Bigmat

Cheers mate. Is the BTA web site www.britishtriathlon.org ? if it is I cant seem to enter, can you verify this for me.

Thanks
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    Hi Radiostar, I just followed the link & had no problems getting on the BTA site. Cheers. Rob
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    Anyone know how much BTA membership is? Do you get that automatically as part of membership of an affiliated club?

Any other benefits apart from saving £5+ on an event entry?

David
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    about 70 quid I think...don't know about other benefits ... as I am sure you have just discovered if that info is on their site its well hidden

Edit

Found it Seems to be £49.00 for individual membership

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    HI .. you asked about BTA membership ... I recently joined and it was £38.00 ... this will get you various discount on stuff if you check out their website they detail thises.. along with this you also get reduced entry to most races (as mentioned by loonytoon)

madnurse (phil)

ps - the above is for a membership if you are with a local tri club .. worth joing them for support etc not to mention the extra discount