Home Chat General Chat
Options

Pool Tips

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice re my pool training.

I train in a 25m pool.

I'm currently trying to reduce my stroke count on each length.

I can do 14/15strokes on first length then 17/18strokes on second. I'm currently stopping for 20/30secs after each 50m since carrying on just increases the count to about 21 and my form goes.

I realise that the more I train the better I'll get, but I was wondering if there's any obvious tips or advice anyone can give me to help my form.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    BmanBman Posts: 442
    Hi, so by focussing on stroke length, you are trying to improve technique. Sounds like you need to do some aerobic work too ie get the fitness up. So on days when you arent counting lengths, do some sets of sprints followed by normal lengths. You could try a pyramid-type set ie 5 with the first and last being faster lengths, 15 sec break, then 4, break, then 3, then 2 fast and one last sprint. Knackering but good.

By forcing yourself to go after 15 or 10 sec (not the 20-30 you said), you dont recover and will help you more. pain and gain and all that..

You will be holding form for longer in no time
  • Options
    do some sets of sprints followed by normal lengths. You could try a pyramid-type set ie 5 with the first and last being faster lengths

Good stuff, I understand that.

Will try and incorporate that into next session
  • Options
    durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    Hi, I like the pyramid sets too - although I don't put a break between the sets and just do the last one fast or swim hard and then do the last one easy.

You could try some intervals as well or pool golf (maintaining your stroke count and time over a set repeated distance with defined rest periods) - that way you will be aware if your form is drifting as you get tired.