Home Chat General Chat

lost all interest in triathlons!

I recently [2 weeks ago] completed my first tri [OD] but have since been sick due to picking up virus from swim in river

I was sick during the run but still finished in 2 hrs 49 min.

Since then I have done no training due to constant nausea and have been to Doctors twice.

I have lost all interest in tri due to the sickness. Was meant to do an HIM in August that i have now changed to another OD instead.

Lacking motivation, interest and energy! What should I do??

George

Comments

• sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    take a break.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    He's right, do something else entirely for a while. Youve probably made a bad association with racing. Take the pressure off, do something else thats fun and active. The triathlon devil will find you again when it's time......
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    That sucks! Can only second what's been said before, take some time out. Don't be too hard on yourself either. How about doing a spinning class for a bit or Body Pump or pilates or whatnot for a change - but only when your body tells you you're up to it.

Take care.

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    What's the Dr said ?

Virus ? What's his advice/treatment ?

You will feel shit if you ill, and exercise is the last thing on your mind.

I just got over a virus and did nothing for 3 weeks... felt better, started eating again and it's picking up again. Don't rush back - you know why you started Tri's in the 1st place and that passion won't go completely.

What else do you like doing in your spare time - maybe concentrate on that for a month or just be a couch spud for a few weeks.

Best of luck
  • ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    dont drink the water in future!

once you recovered, get back on the bike! life is not about how many times you get knocked down, but how many times you get back up!

put it down to experience, and go and nail your next race!

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Take a break.

Nothing until you feel fit as a fiddle.

Get some mags, or look at some new kit.

Run or Bike for a bit - whichever is your favourite.

Keep reading/posting here.

Get well soon!
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    I lost my mojo a little while ago thanks to surgery, a sick husband and generally feeling rubbish. I took a break from the whole thing, drooled over bike kit, bought a new jersey; but mostly got some fantastic inspirational advice from the wonderful people on here.

It will come back, but you might need to be patient with yourself.

blurredgirl

• steve785steve785 Posts: 52
    he WILL come back to haunt you!!!!! he owns you.......see you in the water next time... you can do it!!!
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    The human body is a wonderful thing and when it knows that it needs all available resouces to heal and protect it will unplug itself to save vital resources. That's what your body is doing, it's taken away your interest do that it doesn't interfere with the job in hand, which is healing you. Sit back, allow your body to do what it is best at be when the time is right the interest will return

Fear not triathlon is for life, through richer to poorer and in sickness back to health!

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Best of luck with your recovery.Did the Doc give you any suggestions as to the nature of the virus.If you caught it from the water,did any of the other competitors catch something,looking at the bleakest side,Weil's disease etc,blood test could give you the answer and increase rate of recovery,left unattended could mean kidney shutdown.
  • dude get sick and have time off, its an excuse to eat chocolate, burgers, masturbate and sit around playing xbox. Thats what keeps me charging towards the light of at the end of the tunnel...which infact is usually oncoming traffic.