Home Chat General Chat

Orthotics

[toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
After considering the fact that i buy specific shoes for my feet for how i run i thought about all the time i spend in my other footwear and ordered some Orthotic sport insoles.

Does anyone else use them?

Comments

• chapperschappers Posts: 97
    quite timely as I'm picking up a my replacement pair tonight...

I'd been running for over 10yrs but nothing over 10 miles as this was about the treshold before knees/hips/back - in that order - gave way. Then decided to give marathons a go and got shin splints through training for my first marathon. Got got orthotics fitted (they took a cast of my foot) by bupa (luckily through insurance but had to pay for the materials). No problems since.

Have to add that I have bunions and very flat feet, so I find they help me loads, but I'm probably an extreme case. That said it's surprising the injuries that are caused by poor foot mechanics.

It seems sensible that one size doesn't fit all so off the shelf ones could cause more problems than they solve, but I'd go see a pediatrist and ask them to recommend off the shelf ones to suit your feet.

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    There are lots of of the peg ones,get some custom made ones,cost may be 4 times the price,but well worth it
  • u_j_2001u_j_2001 Posts: 47
    I have extremely flat feet and been using custom made orthotics for nearly 20 years.

I personally wouldn't touch off the shelf orthotics - and strongly recommend seeing an orthoped/podiatrist for proper fitting.

In any case, if you do plan on using orthotics either custom made or off the shelf make sure you buy your next pair of trainers with them in the shoe. You may need to buy a bigger/wider shoe or a different model as they will effect your pronation as well.

• Orthotics are a tricky subject in sports medicine.

The large majority of people do not need them. Your gluteals control what your entire leg does and as a result, weak gluts equals internally rotated thighs, poor knee alignment, ITB problems kick, and eventually further down the chain your arches will drop.

For the unbelievers amongst you, stand with feet shoulder width apart and parallel (the midline of your foot is from the mid ankle along the line of the second toe). Start by relaxing your legs, then gently squeeze your gluts and let your legs go where the glut stake them. If you watch your arches in a mirror while you do that, you will see them raise and fall normally (as long as you are relaxed!).

If this works for you, chances are you need better glut strength/activation and control and not orthotics.

IF your arches stay as flat as a year old coca-cola - chances are you need orthotics.

My recommendation would be always get custom builds if you can afford them, but make sure someone who is NOT a podiatrist has checked out your lower limb biomechanics first, IMO once you are in orthotics, they are hard to get rid of.

Orthotics are for life, not just for Christmas! The ass is where its at!

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    The 'fitness industry' (TM) altho recommending glute strengthening as a way forward, has come at this from the opposite end, as in its stability in the ankle particularly the tibia on talus junction. Stability here is reflected up the chain to knee & then hip...is this the industry getting wrong end of stick...or is it the same only different?
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I think I'll just go to bed. And not get up again.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Now then, now then...rest & recovery is all part of the tri experience.

You will be back stronger, faster..we can rebuild him...danananaaa nananananaaaaaa..
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    So I've given up on these already.

Wore them in my work shoes last week whilst having a break from running dew to calf injury.

Went for a run this tuesday and got pain through my left leg and lower left of my back.

As this was the only thing that I'd changed I thought I'd remove it from the equasition and see what happened, low and behold went for a run this morning after not using them for a week and all was fine again.

Sending them straight back for a refund hopefully.