Home Chat General Chat

any plans / hair brained ideas for next year ?????

Hello all ... most of us will be well into this years racing by now possibly with only a few left to play with before it all ends and Xmas sets in (20 weeks shopping to go and so much carbon to buy...etc) anyhow I wondered if anyone had actually sat and thought about next season. a few of us have committed to doing Wimbleball (big park for a walk.... see related thread) & I thought it might be an idea to see what poeple had in mind esp' if we are to look at a social meet up now and then around racing ....

my plans include;

Chester Deva Olympic

Salford Olympic

Wimbleball 70.3

Helvellyn

I also fancy a race abroad making a long wknd away of it. Training camps are another consideration & will be booking up before long........

Comments

• MeadoMeado Posts: 17
    I am seriously considering Wimbleball 70.3, it would be good to crank it up another level. The only problem is getting round Mrs. Meado and her plans for us to go to the Seychelles...

• loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    My 3 races for next year are

UKIM 70.3

Ironbridge Oly

Helvellyn

All nice hilly routes ;)

will probably do others for prep etc - I am also considering london but as its 75 quid and UKIM70.3 is 150 it all adds up..

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Unfortunatel I'm not making any plans as to next year yet. The main reason being that I have decided to move out to Australia sometime in January, and at some point in my time out there spend some serious time training down in Cronulla.

However if things fall through I'll be putting in my entry for Wimball if only so I get to meet Madnurse this time [8D] Likewise if I'm still around then I'm planning on getting up to my old Uni and doing the Stirling triathlon. Outside of that I have no ideas.

However end of this year I'll be doing the Crawley Late Summer Triathlon, Brighton 10km, and Chippenham Chilly Duathlon. I'm also running the Belgrave 5km this Sunday.
  • nickjaywnickjayw Posts: 33
    My big aim for the year is over with the Cow Man last weekend, but for the rest of this year I still have:

- 115 mile Cyclosportive ride

- New Forest Marathon

- Maybe the Beaulieu duathlon

Then for 2007, then plan is still to go for the big one:

- London Marathon (subject to lottery)

- Weymouth Middle distance

- Sherbourne Ironman

• madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    Loon - (how do?) - if you want a big olympic with the feel of London (big event, televised, dockland location, easy access & spectator friendly as well as cheaper) then Salford has to be an alternative ... and you get a t-shirt as well as a medal. oh and better shopping access for the WAGS. It does lack the hills of Wimbelball etc but Salfod I have to admitt is good with its tight technical bike course.

(did I sound biased then)
    I may well consider it but I am sticking with a firm(ish) 3 then looking for others later ;)

(did I sound biased then)

Nah!!!!!

as far as a social/tri I can recommend ironbridge - free camping - picturesque river side/small town setting and a big hill done 3 times(oly) for the pain junkies on the bike course ;)

• recoilrecoil Posts: 3
    I have my first really small sprint in a few weeks in warwick.. If I enjoy that then I'm going to start seriously training for next year. Hoping to do at least a couple more sprint, an Oly and finally going for the Vitruvian in September. I did want to do Wimbleball in June but stupidly booked my hols for that weekend :(
  • jazdogjazdog Posts: 223
    Hi all!

Big aims for next year will be Orkney middle distance (was going to do wimbelball but thought £150 was a bit severe -esp when I add on travelling expenses from the other end of the UK) - a couple of Olys and I might be persuaded to do Helvelyn.
    HI JAzz .... when is the orkney middle distance....
  • andysvenandysven Posts: 10
    hi all,

given i only took this up this year so don't know much about the events - probably going to do 3 or 4 next year - the london olympic again, another olympic distance & quite want to try a half iron man - any recommendations?

have read about wimbleball and quite scared of the course!!

2007 Triathlon ( & other) Races

April - ? training camp (italy)

May 2007 - Dragon (oly) - Abadare, wales

June 2007 - 17th Wimbleball (70.3)

July 2007 - Salford (oly)

Sept 2007 - Helvellyn (oly +++) or Orkney (middle)

Oct 2007 - Snowdonia (marathon).... prep for IM 2008

looking for another few oly's plus the odd 10km & a 1/2 marathon
  • Tim DTim D Posts: 64
    I am planning on doing IM UK at Sherborne. I would love to do Wimbleball again, but I cannot afford to enter it right now so am hoping its not full when I can. If I have to financially commit early to a race its gonna have to be the full IM. I am definitely gonna do the Marazion middle distance in May, but not sure whether I am going to do London again simply down to fact I cannot afford so many high priced races. The usual mix of local sprints and olys.

Looking orward to next season already!

Tim
    Hey Phil,

Orkney middle distance is in september so gives me all season to prepare and get some oly's in before then. You fancy it? Swim is in Scapa flow and then 56 mile bike round some historic sites. Check out the orkney club's website for details... looks cool!!!
    oddly enough I do fancy it ...... my parents go up to Orkney every year & Iwent up to the hebs withthe army (breath taking place) .... only itch for me is that it clashes with Helvellyn but I will probably fancy the change with doing helvellyn this year (if am lucky they might not next year). London wasnt as good as I expected for the cost so am looking for alternatives and as you say this looks a good middle distance race. like you i will doing a number of oly's as prep plus a 1/2 marathon if i can as well as wimbleball with a few others on here.

Phil
  • Rich_CRich_C Posts: 152
    Hello,

My first post on the forum, so id like to say hello to all ![:)]

Im new to Tri events and have just entered my first for next year.

Airbrained? YES! Virtually impossible (For me)? Probably!

But ive paid my 350 Euros and got my confirmation.

Its the Ironman Lanzarote as a charity fund rasing event.

Im not an internet forum troll, nor a crank for those who may be think this ( after all its my first post on here )[:D]

Over the next 9 months i will be asking many questons and hoping for as much help as i can get as i know its going to be hard to the extreme for me to get to the finish line (or have a realist chance of doing so!)

I thank you all in advance for any advice i may be lucky enough to receive.

Regards, Rich
    hats off 2 you rich_c lanzorote is supposed 2 be one tough mother of a ironman
  • pacrfishpacrfish Posts: 266
    2007 - Have registered for the dreaded Wimbleball again (next year I WILL run the run, and I WILL NOT walk!!), so probably some duathlons over the winter, then Derby Spring Tri, (good bike distance, cheap and nearby), Grendon Lakes sprint (open water and nearby) and the 70.3. After that I don't know, cos then training starts for the IM in 2008. Would like to do Vitruvian, though.

Don't really know what to do with the rest of 2007. Have been training for the Robin Hood marathon in Sept, but for various reasons I don't think it will happen, so I'm feeling a bit lost .....

• WellaWella Posts: 188
    Hi all,

Been a while since I last posted as work completely took over my life for the last 3 weeks. Really wanted to get up to London to cheer you lot on but I was stuck in my office. Felt even worse when I looked out the window and saw the Michelob blimp. Well done to all who entered.

It motivated me for next year anyway so I plan to do:

Bleinham (sprint)

Windsor (olympic)

St Albans (sprint)

London (olympic)

One other sprint

In addition I've got the Run London 10k race in October and at the weekend I sent off my application for the London Marathon. Fingers crossed on that one.

Sam
  • slimslim Posts: 4
    hi guy's,

I just joined forum today, I have aspirations of doing Nice Ironman next year. God and any one else help me, but I'm still in need for some very basic advice.'m strong as an ox and use to race Ski Biathlon but have not ridden a bike I really need the help so come on vets "HELP PLEASE"

• Aiming to train longer on the run to put in a half marathon this autumn Gosport 19th Nov?

Winter of hard base miles on the bike and keep the running going, upto half marathons runs for launch pad next season. Lots of swim training to improve my speed after a year of technique work.

early start with sprints then into the Olys possibly Bournemouth, Worthing, Swanage, Seaford..... But probably not all!

Might look at Windsor, Bananaman and Eton but prefer smaller events rather than a big crush. Prefer to get good times rather than worry too much about drafting on the bike which will be more of a problem in mass start events than the rolling start sprints that i have done this year.

David
    So whats everyone got planned for the winter training season? How many are considering doing duathlons? Anyone taking a whole month off training?

Like David I'm doing a half marathon in OCtober and was planning on taking a couple of weeks off not doing anything .. the odd bike run and a swim now and again. Then pick up base training at start of november. Any thoughts?

Jaz
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    I have so far entered the Olympic London Triathlon, but would like to enter the Blenheim Olympic Triathlon. I will add Cambridge, Norwich to that list for Olympic distance. The go and do a load of sprint distances.

Slowly but surely preparing the the half ironman the year after.

I've got the 10k in October so plenty of running for me. I start Rugby training tonight as well so it will kep the fitness going. Plan to focus on the weights in the gym to shift some of the excess weight but mix it with a bike ride or swim once a week.

Sam
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    I started rugby training a few weeks ago. Couldn't believe it. Since tri training, I have so much more pace. I was flying past everybody, even the youngsters.

Although when it come to doing arm raises with tackle bags, I looked a right fairy. So all fitness but no strength lol.

Wella, your with Brightlinsea? I am Stowmarket.

• scorpionscorpion Posts: 11
    Hi All!!

Not been on forum for a bit. Wow, how it's grown. Just done London olympic (recommend for anyone to do london at least once, real nice tri!), and only got Bala to do. As for next year, probably do Woodhall Spa sprint again as a benchmark for training progress and then focussing on any world qualifiers. Just waiting for listings.

[:)]
    JasonB wrote:

Wella, your with Brightlinsea? I am Stowmarket.

Jason,

I play for Cheshunt in Hertfordshire. I think our first team may have played you guys before.

My problem is everyone knows I've done a couple of triathlons over the summer and is expecting me to be super fit. Due to work I've hardly trained for the last three weeks so I hope I haven't lost too much pace and stamina.

I'll find out tonight!

Sam
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    I will do a few sprints and short courses next year but I plan to do both IM South Africa in March and IM Brazil in May just hope to get things right so I can have a good time at both.
  • CenzoCenzo Posts: 91
    Difficult to think about next year coming to the end (hopefully) of an injury / illness hit couple of months but here's the plan.

Winter, run training including 16miler in Kingston in October

Spring - Marathon, first one, hopefully London

May / June Jump on the bike & do Wimbleball (probably get an oly in first)

Summer - training for Sherborne, maybe 1 more oly or possibly cow-man

Big target - Sherborne 2007
  • Hi people, this is my first post so please be gentle with me! How's this for hairbrained... 2007 3 sprint distances, and maybe an olympic, venues yet to be decided and then work towards 2008 Austrian Ironman. Well a blokes gotta have a target!!

Oh, not forgetting London Marathon(for charity, of course[;)]).

Problems..I cant swim more than 200m at the moment[:(]

Someone tell me to grow up..please!!
    Thats not at all hairbrained.... and no one on this site can tell anyone else to grow up!!! If we grew up we would never be daft enough to do tri! [:D][:D][:D]

Look at me ... 32 nearly 33 and I feel better now than I did when I was a 21 year old.... never want to lose that feeling!!!!

Keep up the tri.... its the canines testes!