Home Chat General Chat

What's the chances of catching something nasty?

The chances are probably low.If you have a low immune system then the probability will be increased.So you would have as much chance as getting swine flu walking through the local shopping center.

Weil's disease is mostly prevalent in still water,and the local rat population being present.So if you take suitable precautions,then there shouldn't have too much to worry about,check for open wounds and make sure they are suitably covered/disinfected etc,there is some rumour about drinking coke after swimming to kill any 'nasties' that you might have swallowed.

Your mind is now in overdrive thinking about it,so stop,be sensible,and if it is Weil's Disease you are probably doubled up in pain,sweating profusely,and burning up like an effergy on a bonfire.

So chances of catching something is very slim.

Comments

• husslerhussler Posts: 237
    OW swimming can give you little bugs and upset stomachs etc

Full fat coke is the way forward as soon as poss after an OW swim.... it kills anything that you pick up on the lake....:)

Even in races you can use it... has to be flat though otherwise youll be burping the rest of the race lol
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    On the back of handangeo's post about catching a virus through OW swimming, thought I'd ask the question about OW swimming in general.

After Eton, I was on the bog all day (both ends) and into the next which I can only put down to swallowing some of the contents of the lake.

Also went swimming in the Serpentine on Tuesday evening and since I'm now getting a cold I'm terrified I've got weils disease and my kidneys are going to pack up any minute!

What's the deal? Am I risking my health every time I go OW swimming?

F.E.A.R creeping in...
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    I was wondering how careful you wshould be about swallowing water?? I like to drink a fair amount at the pool.... But should i be extra extra careful when OW. I had the FEAR last week but got better...
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    The more water you drink then the chances of catching something nasty are increased,some of the lakes used in races on the continent are practically of drinking water purity,such as IMCH and Austria(excluding the canal segment at the end).If we overtrain our immune system gets suppressed,so a minor stomach ache could turn into a bad series of stomach cramps.

don't let it worry you,just be aware that it is slightly possible,OW swimming is hugely enjoyable,and less prone to incident than cycling or running(if you are OW aware)
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    I was told to drink Coke after, which I have done, touch wood OK so far.

Not sure what Coke does to kill bacteria, does it have to be full fat Coke or will diet be OK? Will Pepsi do instead? Is there any science behind this or is it made up bollocks?
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    COKE - There has beena thread on here before about coke being the great bug killer. The over riding asnwer was coke can not kill bugs and its an old wives tale/urban myth.

I suppose that if it works for you menatlly then there must be a place for it in your kit bag.

Weils diease is mostly caught from stagnent water I believe I you would n ot want to swim in that. Rynes are a big carrier as well.

Just avoid the rats and keep it as clean as possible. The sea seems a good start! No rats in salt water. Sharks and Crocs though. Jelly fish. Sting rays Barracude..............................................Wind surfers, ships. Sewage pipes. AAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH can we swim anywhere safely??????
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    I say MAN UP dude....if it was unsafe they wouldn't let you swim in it....OW swimming is miles more fun than pool swimming and if we all went around worrying about catching something we'd all wear face masks on the tube.
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    Blinkybaz wrote:
    COKE - There has beena thread on here before about coke being the great bug killer. The over riding asnwer was coke can not kill bugs and its an old wives tale/urban myth.

The pH of Coke is ~3 (mildy acidic) compared to stomach acid coming in at around pH1-pH2 (highly acidic) so I would have thought any nasties that can't be killed by the acidity of your stomach won't be blitzed by Coke.

Might just be the placebo effect, but if it works for you then why not.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    andyb99 wrote:

I say MAN UP dude....

You're right. I am manning up as I write this email... I'm gonna drink the thames dry on Sunday!
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    Flavadave wrote:
    ORIGINAL: andyb99

I say MAN UP dude....

You're right. I am manning up as I write this email... I'm gonna drink the thames dry on Sunday!

That's the spirit, i'll do the albert dock next weekend...i'll even drink the jelly fish!!!
  • nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    "I say man up"

How can you do that in a wetsuit or tri suit?????

• gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Could be worse. You could be swimming in Australia where everything it seems is either out to eat you or kill you.[:D]

Bet that 15C pond is looking pretty inviting now.

I saw a guy being pursued by a swan last week, it stuck with for ages, keeping 10 feet behind him. The bloke was totally oblivious but it was one if the funniest things I've seen.
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    YOu just need to toughen up!

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I think conehead has caught something nasty. Coming out in spots...

(maybe its just trying to out spam the spammers?!?)
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    I firmly believe that coke can kill bugs when you see how it can consume a piece of raw meat in something like 24 hours! There's a great link on the web about all the uses for coke, such as cleaning the blood off the roads after RTA's in the states.