Home Chat General Chat

OMG one week until my first 70.3

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone doing the UK 70.3 next week - hope the taper is going well!!

Do I have the FEAR? Yes!

Am I looking forward to it? Yes!

See you there!

Iain.

Comments

• [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    Good luck dude, still a month till my first olympic distance and I'm scared already!
  • Yeah, im doing it. Getting excited now.

I have seriously got the fear over the weather conditions now. Its looking to me as if it could be a wet one. Dont much fancy the cycle in the rain!! I also have the fear over getting no sleep the night before, as the prospect of getting up about 3.45 am is so disheartening, i dont even want to think about it... il have to try and get to bed by 8pm

What do you do if it is raining, wear waterproofs? I was thinking just sticking with the tri-suit and puuting gloves on, and some overshoes?

Run should be fine in the rain, probably quite nice.
  • james1james1 Posts: 14
    Im scared!!! this will be my first 70.3 and Triathlon.

Ive heard bad things about the bike leg!

I did 54miles will 2600ft of climbing in 3h40 on saturday so hopefully ill be ok?

has anyone done a test run of the bike course?

• danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Its my first 70.3 as well, and I'm excited. The course looks like it'll be incredibly tough, but at least the swim is flat!

The biggest thing I'm worried about nwo is the weather... Doing this race in pouring rain would be amazingly bad. As long as it keeps to a steady light rain, ok. And my tent is barely waterproof, so that should be fun. My plan for a wet race is just to wear my arm and shoe covers and probably end up drinking a lot less since you'll never get to sweaty.

Maybe they'll have hot chocolate or coffee on the run course?

• combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    Try this link

http://iaindoesahalfironman.blogspot.com/2009/05/703-familiarisation-day.html

to my report from the training day that TriLife ran - the course is hard but doable - depending on gear choice and fitness!
    http://iaindoesahalfironman.blogspot.com/2009/05/703-familiarisation-day.html

great report- thanks.

I think i will be fine. just a little nervous. Im from Yorkshire so im accustomed to hills.......
    how long did the bike lap take you?
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    Forever but we were not racing - I have no idea how long it will take on Sunday because of the hills - as long as I get somewhere around 4hrs I am happy!

I.
  • JoddyBearJoddyBear Posts: 66
    hey guys, i'm doing this one too and i am nervous as hell.

it's not only my first open water but also my first tri above a sprint distance.

i've done a couple of training rides around the bike course but only done a single lap each time although as a fairly slow cyclist i'm pretty confident of knocking it out in around the 4 hours.

am starting to stress about have i got all the kit i need, how many bottles do i want on the bike, how early should i get there on race day etc.

i'm sure that all will be fine but it's suddenly apparant just how difficult this event is going to be, we really are a bunch of masochists in this sport.

hope everybodys prep goes well and look forward to seeing you all at the briefing on saturday.

oh and sam, i am staying at halse farm now too, at least you won't be the only one there getting up at stupid o clock
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    I'm not even doing it-my son is, and I'm nervous as hell!!
    Sorry if this sound really stupid!!

Do i just swim in my wetsuit and some trunks/shorts then change into my trisuit in transition?

clearly a novice!
    That always screwed me up doing marathons with an early start. In addition to race nerves, my body doesn't want to eat ANYTHING at 4:30am, regardless of whether or not I'm going to burn 4000 calories.
    Thanks for the advice Conehead.

I'll get up to speed eventually!!
  • JoddyBearJoddyBear Posts: 66
    Good point conehead, cheers for that one. i must take the advice and off to bed in a minute.

With regards to whats under the wetsuit, i've read that people reccommend wearing the race belt and number too. I know it's on tyvek but is that capable of living through that much water?
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Its no problem wearing your racebelt and number under your wetsuit, it just means less things to think about / forget about when hitting T1.
  • Looking at the weather forecast it looks like it may rain a bit on Saturday night, Sunday looks okish.

When you rack your bike up the day before is it undercover? Or should you put a cover on it?
    sam_thebatman wrote:

Looking at the weather forecast it looks like it may rain a bit on Saturday night, Sunday looks okish.

When you rack your bike up the day before is it undercover? Or should you put a cover on it?

You're going to be soaking wet coming out of the water, wearing a wet trisuit, and are worried about getting onto a bike that may have a few drops of water on the seat?

Maybe cover the drivetrain if you're really paranoid, or just make sure everything is well lubed and you'll be dry by mile 3.

• cammykcammyk Posts: 36
    Just remember to try and enjoy it. You have done all the hard work in training so now its just about turning up and doing what you've trained for. Remember to ENJOY YOURSELF.....