Home Chat General Chat

Marking Up......R.I.P

jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got penned all over my calfs and arms on Sunday at Weymouth Middle Distance. So, it's still about!!!

(P.S. Only just managed to get rid of it completely today [:D])

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002
    got inked up on sunday, but then they didn't have chip timing.

highworth last year did chip and marking up, just to cover all bases.

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Thanks,I thought it had gone for good.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    With the onset of chip timing,does marking up still take place these days or has a Triathlon tradition finally gone.

No more scrubbing that indelible marker off your legs and arms.

No more standing in a queue with rolled up sleves and trouser legs looking like a Freemasons initiation meeting.

I was just wondering as it must be over 2 years since someone last wrote on me.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Good point...the lack of marking at chipped races always slightly bothers me, it seems to make it slightly easier for someone to waltz off with a bike that isn't theirs, there is nowt to tie the bike to me, my chip has been returned, my helmet has a number on, so does my bike, but since my bike & helmet are in the same place this proves nothing.

I appreciate that nayone can write a number on themselves if they so desired, but...
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I've done three Tri's do far this year, and I've been marked in each of them. Not yet been to a 21st Century tri with timing chips. Marking is pretty cool, as it takes a while to remove and is a talking point after the event.
  • thebouythebouy Posts: 61
    Exactly! Being a Noob (got my first Tri in a week and a half!) I can't wait to get marked up.....it somehow makes the whole thing seem more serious! Plus there's the office bragging rites etc....
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    1st tri I was so keen I registered and got marked up the day before (left arm/right leg)...woke up the next day with my race number '399' embedded backwards in the hotel sheets!!!....went back next morning and got marked up again...(will remember to bring my own black marker next time)...
  • they dont like marking me up ! tats get in the way i end up with marks on my wrist !

not a good look when in a meeting on a monday morning

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    I got marked up at a chip timed event last weekend.

I hope it continues, chip timing's not foolproof - they had me down as swimming my 400M in 21 minutes initially - so hopefully they keep a manual timing record too just in case.

Plus there is the bike security issue, as mentioned.

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I thought your number marked on your skin was like war paint!!

It really helps when getting your bike out of tranny to go home!
  • jon_gjon_g Posts: 318
    i've been doing tri's over here in the uk for the last 4 years, about 5/6 races a year and only been bodymarked a couple of times. i love being bodymarked, makes me feel like more of a triathlete!
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Come to think of it, in the dozen or so races Ive done, Ive never been marked up once. Sounds like Ive been missing out. I love the smell of those pens.