Home Chat General Chat

Phobia

Ok so do not laugh at this......

I've got my first open water event coming up and I had planned to train OW prior but I've not been able to. My aim was to get in the water and get comfortable with it.

I enjoy swimming in the sea but I have one slight problem...... jelly fish.

I foocking hate them.

So here's my moment of truth to face up to my phobia. However do these little & big buggers scarpper when there is the massive swim ruck or do they plead ingorance as if you were never there?

How sore is the sting?????

Oh well time to face up to it!!!

Comments

• andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    i swam in the albert dock at liverpool last month for my first ow swim...the event is next week...at the start we could see LOADS of jelly fish...the assured us they were not stingers but it was still scary....i just decided to jump in....apparently its not possible for them to sting your palms (dont ask me why) and obviously with a wetsuit on they wont get you there...so feet and face (assuming your swim isnt liverpool, cause they dont sting there) are all you need to worry about. i think you'd be really unlucky to get stung in a crowd of people, i'm sure they will scarper, i brushed one in portugal with my shin and didnt notice till 5 mins after..(stood on an urchin in cyprus and that hurt a lot more) .it felt like sunburn...wasnt bad...wasnt nice either.

anyway dont be scared, you'll be reet
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    OK - where's your first OW swim? The chances of running into a hord of jelly fish off UK waters is possible but small and your wetsuit will protect you from most of the stings should they be a stinging variety - variety of treatments but weeing on the sting sites is a myth it makes them burn all the more[:D] If you do get stung seek medical opinion, antihistamines are often perscribed
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    moonshine wrote:

OK - where's your first OW swim?  The chances of running into a hord of jelly fish off UK waters is possible but small and your wetsuit will protect you from most of the stings should they be a stinging variety - variety of treatments but weeing on the sting sites is a myth it makes them burn all the more[:D]  If you do get stung seek medical opinion, antihistamines are often perscribed

i'll post some pics of the liverpool tri next week...you should see em all...
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I once had a phobia about birds/wings/feathers, I got a job on a poultry farm I walked into a shed of 16,000 chickens I was bricking it, I just took my balls in one hand and got on with it, I still have the phobia but I overrode it

The same feeling returned at the start of IM Switzerland, I froze for a while then I started to swim and got on with it, I still HATE open water but I take it on because I choose to and because I know the phobia is daft.

So dry your eyes, build a bridge and get over it or quit, sg=hut up and go back to the flower arranging

• BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    So dry your eyes, build a bridge and get over it or quit, sg=hut up and go back to the flower arranging

*sigh* Where would we be without the Frog to shake us up?

You were missed.

blurredgirl
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I once had a phobia about birds/wings/feathers, I got a job on a poultry farm I walked into a shed of 16,000 chickens I was bricking it, I just took my balls in one hand and got on with it, I still have the phobia but I overrode it
    That's not a phobia. That's a mild dislike.

Of course, like 'flu, the term phobia is miss/over used.

But for some people it's not a case of toughening up.

I'm not saying anything about S11's trepidation - just that not all phobias can be overcome as simply as you suggest.
  • Fear is good, dont deny fear it releases a ton of cool hormones.

Take an arrow on the forehead, never in the back.

Cowards dont die honourable deaths.

blah blah blah

End of the day, it wont kill you. Sure itll hurt, but the pain is never as bad as the fear of said pain.

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    treefrog wrote:

The same feeling returned at the start of IM Switzerland, I froze for a while then I started to swim and got on with it, I still HATE open water but I take it on because I choose to and because I know the phobia is daft.

Treegfrog,

As blurredgirl says, you've been missed!!!!

Brilliant. I'm away to buy some flowers LOL!!!

• brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    variety of treatments but weeing on the sting sites is a myth it makes them burn all the more If you do get stung seek medical opinion, antihistamines are often perscribed

vinegar is also used in oz until medical treatment arrives...lucky for you S11 you have a wetsuit otherwise in oz they recommend wearing tights! nice swimming look me thinks [;)]
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Jack Hughes, how right you are with your comment above. A real phobia requires therapy to cure.
    Ok so perhaps phobia is the wrong word, but humour me at least. Ihate those little blobby's.

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Wasn't criticising you S11 - but rather Treefrog's dismissive attitude to anyone that fails to meet his uncompromising ideals. Not that I mind treefrog's uncompromising ideals (so long as he's not a hypocrite, and I don't believe he is). Just wanted to address the balance a bit.
    Jack,

Not to worry, Treefrog's thread didn't bother me, It was quite funny.

Still he is right, got to face those pesky blobby's!!!