Home Chat General Chat

Using kickboards and pullbuoys

Afternoon all - as you can tell I'm having a Tri-day - too much time mooching on the forum. But it's all good.

Anyway - I am now the owner of a kickboard and a pullbuoy and would like some pointers as to how to get the best out of them in terms of drills.

I'm a competent swimmer (for a 43 yr old female) - I do 1500m (pool) in about 28mins (longer in OW), but would like to improve my kick (I kick from the knees when I don't concentrate) and also my catch and stroke rate, to give me the edge. I'd like to be a faster swimmer, but also a more efficient one as I'm looking to go for 70.3 next year.

Thanks in advance.

blurredgirl

Comments

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Got a kickboard and a pull buoy (xmas gifts) but have yet to use the pull buoy in anger. Even on my technique course (12 weeks) we used fins and boards, but never pull buoys.

Used boards mainly for concentrating on a shallow kick aiming to keep the legs high in the water. Fins for streamlining and breathing drills but not pull buoys... yet.

I'd be interested to see what the hardcore swimmers out there say...

• durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    Don't think I qualify as a hard core swimmer but here's my 2p's worth.

We used pullbuoys to do various drills including DPS drills, and anaerobic sets (swim lengths breathing every 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2) this is easier with the pullbuoy. It was good for me because I tended not to bother pulling but to rely on kicking. Lots of sculling as well - I think to improve feel for the water. We also did tumble turns with them.

Look forward to seeing what everyone else does with them
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    where do you put the pull buoy?

between the ankles, knees or up in the groin?

didds

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I got a pull buoy and some training fins - basically, these are required for tri club training sessions. But I've only discovered how to use them relatively recently.

The only way I see people using the pull buoy is clasped between the thighs - to get the hips up when working on arm drills.

• ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    I had a kick from the knee, drag me backwards thing going on. A spell with fins sorted it. No float, just hold breath, arms in front, face down in water - breathing with one of those Finis snorkels. 15 mins like this, fins off - hey presto, body learnt how to kick from hip.

Other drill recommended by my swim teacher (Ian at Swimshack in Loughborough, TI coach) is a pull bouy under each arm, vertical in the water, practice the kick using glutes and abs.

cheers

Ade

• MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    didds wrote:

where do you put the pull buoy?

between the ankles, knees or up in the groin?

In the groin, right up near the crown jewels. I used to cross my legs at the ankles, but now keep them apart to try and practice a slow kick.
  • steve785steve785 Posts: 52
    yo got 1 of those pull bouys .... wow i was like a torpedo but find they dont help when you get rid of it ! i try and do drills and keep my fist clenched for 50m then get rid of the bouy and do normal 50m i find i have a better feel of the water?? im still trying and want to be better
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Thanks people. I do have fins, but my local pool won't let me use them, so they only come out for seasonal sea swimming and that's not enough to correct my knee-kick.

Might have a trawl on YouTube - see what that brings up.

Thanks again!

blurredgirl