Home Chat General Chat

Ladies clothing

Sorry, I'm just a beginner at age 44! I'm starting with a 'sprint' triathlon (& may never proceed to the real thing but none the less - please can anyone advise me what to wear. I'm a bit confused as we do the swim bit in a pool, then jump onto bike etc but I don't think it appropriate to wear a wetsuit but don't want to get disqualified for nakedness if changing! Also, if I wear cycling shorts with padded crotch - how comfortable would these be for the run?

Please help!

Comments

• ardkeenardkeen Posts: 152
    Hi, an easy solution as it is pool based tri is a trisuit it will be fine swimming, cycling and running and no bother changing, although nakedness might be encouraged.
  • pigletpiglet Posts: 86
    Hi Nicola

I had the same question and got some good replies- go down the forum list and look for the post "what do you ladies wear?"

Cheers[:D]
  • rpopper65rpopper65 Posts: 171
    In many respects, ladies' clothing for triathlons is not so very different from men's clothing in triathlon. What we both need is something to wear for each discipline, minimal changing time in transition and comfort where we can get it. A one-piece trisuit attempts to give you that in one outfit, since it can be worn for all 3 disciplines and significantly reduces changing time in transition. The only question that we each individually need to answer is: what about comfort?

My outfit of choice is almost always a one-piece trisuit, if only for simplicity's sake and force of habit. But, some swear by the use of two-piece trisuits (a little easier breathing in the chest, especially when you get to the running section). I don't belong to a tri club, so I just have to pluck up the courage to talk to people at races, but I am always curious to see what other people wear and how they like it for comfort and ease of use in races.

I do know there is one company (Assos of Switzerland) that sells their cycling clothing for women as being women-specific in shape and padding. But my wife and I have always been able to swap cycling and running clothes pretty easily (everything except shoes), without either of us feeling any major difference, so far.
  • rpopper65rpopper65 Posts: 171
    ...oh, and running bras. We don't swap that item of clothing, either. Very gender-specific, those running bras.
  • john001john001 Posts: 1
    Cycling Clothing

Shimano Cycling Clothing Cycling Shorts Campagnolo Cycle clothing

Team Cycle Clothing And Cycling Accessories From Probikekit

http://www.probikekit.com/

• gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I would offer some advice, but was offended by the "I'm starting with a 'sprint' triathlon (& may never proceed to the real thing)". I've only done sprints so far, and thought they were the real thing. Mortified!

Anyway, tri-suit is the way to go. No changing, no dry shirts over wet bodies, enough padding for the bike leg, and easy to run in at th end.

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Yeah, I baulked at the "real thing" comment.

Don't undersell yourself, a sprint is the real thing!

It's the difference between a 400m run and a marathon, that's all.

Requires a different approach to both training and the race!

The big problem is that events like the olympics don't include a range of triathlons - i.e. sprint, standard, middle, full.

there is nothing dishonorable with a sprint:

Why I am targeting a sprint for my first:

1) I'm a very poor swimmer - so although I would be happy with longer distances in the bike/run, I need to minimise the swimming until I improve

2) I have limited time available for training - I'll be able to perform well at a sprint distance, even though I have to devote a lot of time to my internationally insignificant job.

3) Injury management/avoidance.

Once you can run for an hour, you can run for any distance, it's just a matter of slowing down and nutrition - so although IronMan sounds impressive, it really isn't {ho ho}. And you have the time to laze through transition etc. etc. While a sprint - it requires everything to be optimal at the top of your game etc. etc. So a sprint is the real thing.

• gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I'll jump in again a support Jack. Although sprints are over shorter distances, there is no time to stop and think or to pace yourself. It's full speed from the moment you start, and you can't let down in any discipline ubntil you've finished. In order to post the best time possible you're HR will be at or near max for the full 60-100 minutes.

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    A friend of mine, after a bit of goading/encouragement from YT, just did her first sprint - only wanted to make minimal investment - which is quite reasonable.

She bought an awful bike for £30, which had a basket on the front (I didn't tell treefrog).

Wore her costume for the swim, put some ordinary shorts on (i.e. not cycling, not running) and a tee-shirt. With the nice comfy shopper bike and the short duration, she quite rightly thought that padded shorts weren't needed! She did buy some new running shoes though - used them on the bike as no clips.

I hope she had a decent sports bra under the costume.

She did fine - obviously, the bike leg was a bit slow - but she was nowhere near last (she's a pretty good natural athlete and would be really excellent with a bit of training and preparation).

But more to the point, has the bug, wants to do some more, and is looking at getting a new bike (when she gets back from travelling round the world, that is).

I would say a good bra and decent shoes are the key things - as these are about avoiding damage/injury.

Everything else is just a time/cost trade off.
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Trisuit is the way to go - but for your first ever triathlon:

Swimming costume, ordinary shorts and T-shirt over the top in T1. OR Tri-shorts and swim top, jersey over the top in T1.

Good luck! And a sprint IS a proper triathlon - honest. There are National Sprint Champs - so there you go.

blurredgirl

• julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Ditto Blurredgirl. A trisuit does mean it's a bit more tricky to wee behind a bush (if you ever need to...!) but otherwise it does remove the worry of that bit of belly that can stick out over the shorts!

Orca do a pretty good range of stuff that's quite reasonably priced but beware the tightish leg elastic; if you can try something on rather than buying it online, that's a good idea. By the way, don't buy a trisuit and then assume that you'll be skinny by the time your event comes round......! I speak from experience on that score...
  • I did my first tri (novice distance) last week and wore a sports bra under my swimsuit, and just pulled on shorts in transition - didn't bother with t-shirt. I also wore my trainers on the bike, makes for a lightning fast T2 [:D]