Home Chat General Chat

I cant do triathlon's any more!

That's right, i can't do triathlons any more, having not run in over a month and only swum and rode once this week, with an expanding waistline and dying motivation.

But.....

I'm world class at stretching with the aid of large elastic bands.

[>:]

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Are you injured Gary?
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    Hmmmm...me thinks you need a good boot up the backside!! [:)] You'll be back fighting fit in no time... it's always hard to get back into it...but once the routine slots in / get your mind focused, challenge yourself..then you're off....unless of course you really can't do tri's anymore![:o]

I'm enjoying a wee bit of a break at the moment, get my body niggles back to normal (well as normal as they can be), eating lots.....& lots...& lots etc..but I know it's going to be hard to motivate myself back to training...still it's that mental challenge that keeps me going!!!

Hope you really can do tri's again though matey!!...
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Time's a healer Gary. You'll be back before you know it

And if all else fails I'm sure there must be a chance of getting stretching as the showpiece sport for 2012? You'd be a shoe in!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Mr.Roberts! pull yourself together man.

Get back on that horse(bike), you know you want to.

I am backing off a bit due to a hard to shift cough/chest infection & anti biotics, and finding I have all sorts of aches & pains from NOT training.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    It appears you are an imposter sir and are holding the real Gary Roberts hostage.

You simple cannot be the real Gary Roberts, the same Gary Roberts that used to be so full of vitality like an excited puppy at the thought of triathlons. The Gary Roberts that asked all the questions I didn't even know I needed to ask! The Gary Roberts that motivated a whole squadron of newbie triathletes and I dare say a few veterans as well! The Gary Roberts that instigated the 220 forum buddies group and ironed all those t-shirts!

Hand him over.

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    @ Gaz - Maybe you need to add streching in as a new disipline!
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Cheer up Gary!

Break it down in to small bits - Bike, Swim if you can't run.

Get a bike time trial entered. That will focus the mind.

Find a masters swimming event.

I can email you my X Rays if you like, then you take comfort that all you have to do is a bit of stretching [:)]

On the other hand..

Can I have your bike if you don't want it?
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Sounds like a good reason to become a kickass swimmer to me!
  • BexHBexH Posts: 226
    Come on Gary- it's just a crap period for your training; you'll bounce back from it in no time. Just concentrate on bike and swim for the moment til you can run again and keep your fitness up (and the beer belly at bay!) If it makes you feel any better I had a shite run with the tri club last night (at the back as usual getting overtaken by all and sundry) and told them I wasn't going to come again as felt I was holding the group up. I was beaten (well, talked) into submission that I keep coming. Sometimes we just have crap moments eh and it takes a little encouragement from others to keep going. Keep smiling and keep motivated dude xxx
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    Don't tell me you can't do tris at all if you don't run! I have to walk the last bit (long term injury) and I only just started getting into it! It's frustrating though - I now have to sort out a load of osteopath treatment from being tempted into running for my first "fun" distance - ow, ow ow. I love running it just doesn't love me.

It can only get better from here right?

• pataallenpataallen Posts: 94
    Britspin wrote:
    I am backing off a bit due to a hard to shift cough/chest infection & anti biotics, and finding I have all sorts of aches & pains from NOT training.

I've been man-down all week with that exact same bug. Nasty hacking cough and feeling like shoite....have had to restrict training to gentle cycling and swimming...very frustrating indeed
  • Youll be fine Gary!

Whenever i feel like giving up i think about all the stuff that makes me angry, maybe throw some stuff around my house, kick some kids dog and im ready to go again.

• risris Posts: 1,002
    chin up gary, once you've got through this spot i'm sure you'll be back making trouble in transition.

keep up the strength building exercises, pool and bike time - it'll pay off once you are back running.
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I'm sure it's only a temporary thing.

"not run in over a month", I didn't run for 42 years (504 months), so it doesn't matter, as long as you get back into it.

"only swum and rode once this week", that's all I ever do.

"an expanding waistline", that's life.

Relax, and concentrate on what you can do, and utimately what you can't do will soon be do-able again.

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Gary - you'll be back mate.

I can't possibly carry on without your input and passion. You keep me going mate

• gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Can you feel the love?

Man hug![;)]
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Gary Roberts!

Stand up and be a hero! You know you want to!

Now get on that bike. then get off the bike and get in that pool.

Then when that's finished do it all over again.

And say to yourself constantly

"I am a TRIATHLETE! I am a WINNER in life!".

Chant this mantra constantly until your wife beats you. Depending on the relationship you have with your wife this will be

* what you enjoy

* infinitely worse than any worries you may have.

NOW DROP AND GIVE ME TWENTY.

Good lad.

WE ALL BELIEVE IN YOU GARY ROBERTS!

didds

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Something that annoys me:

Triathlon == Swim, Bike, Run

Duathlon == Run, Bike, Run (for people who can't swim or a frightened of the cold)

Aquathlon == Run, Swim, Run (for people who can't bike)

But what about something for those of us who can't run.

I'm up for a Bike Swim Bike Swim Bike Swim Bike Swim Bike Swim Bike Swim whatever.

Maybe nobody can think of a name:

Aquacyclothlon.

Whizwetathlon.

Yep. That's it.

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Jack - how about Cyclon?

Oh no ... that's already a Morrison's washing powder.

then again...

didds

• durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    I'd be up for a Cyclon!

Seriously though the not running thing sucks - hope everyone's back fit and well as soon as possible.

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    i'm sitting here with a little smile on my face, thank you!

i forgot how great you all were!

[:)]

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    oh......and i'm now going to get out of this bloody suit and get out on the bike!
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Good on ta, assuming it's not a wetsuit or trisuit, as nudity results in a DQ!
  • pippip Posts: 170
    Stop puusying around and get out and have a run or a ride or swim and you`ll soon get the bug again
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    On your feet soldier,and stop feeling sorry for yourself.

You motivate a great number of people on this forum.

Who said that you can't do triathlons any more?

Two years ago ,a so called expert said I should give up running....so I did,I use the eliptic and cross trainer(should be called the irate trainer as it infuriates me),and a bit of running on the spot in the pool,mainly to annoy other users.It is all low impact,the only time I run now is when I race.

Just because your not running shouldn't stop you from being part of a relay team in a tri,you swim,bike get someone else to run.two out of the three aint bad.

It's just a downer thru injury.Get Time Trialling with your local CC.

If you think negative,you become negative.

www.runningpain.com
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Watch a rocky film, they always motivate me.....

Gets me right in the mood.

Get you arse out mate, I've been using you as a yard stick to measure my progress.

Get the chin up and get cracking!!1
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    i've been away for a few weeks and come back to this post! C'mon gary get that bug back - otherwise your wife will take over as the t-shirt sender and general all round enthusiastic person you are! [:D]
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I had barely swum, cycled or run for a month... then I went and did a 70.3

Triathlon is about three disciplines (well, five if you include transition and eating) and you can't be Mr. Perfect at all three all of the time. Just keeping going at what you can do is part of it. It's a lifestyle sport and sometimes your lifestyle changes.

Actually, I've just added a sixth discipline: Putting up with Injury. Did a crash course in this myself last year for about four months (hip & shoulder).

One man's "Oh poo I can't swim/cycle/run" is another man's "GREAT! An excuse to concentrate on swim/cycle/run or core stability, or sport specific weights, or something else"

Don't lose focus, just re-focus.