Home Chat Race Chat

windsor triathlon swimming tips

I am doing this for the first time Sunday and would be grateful for any last-minute advice.

Swimming is my weakest discipline and, as the day draws near, I am getting anxious.

My main worry is the cold but I'm not sure this is the right thing to focus on. How hard is it battling the current? As I'm slow, do I just hang back and let everybody get away first?

Anyway, all advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• BmanBman Posts: 442
    hey, its going to be my first windsor too, so these are the tips ive picked up.

Getting across to the far side (where the boats are moored) means less current to swim against on the 900m upstream. Take a look at the swim course on a map and realise you wont be swimming for one target buoy, its a series of corners so know what to expect. When you turn around, stick to the middle to get full current back. If you arent the strongest swimmer, hold back for a few sec to give yourself space, but dont forget the next wave goes 5 min later so there will be faster swimmers coming up behind you, so expect it.

As for the water temp, I hear its not cold at all at the moment, but get in as soon as you can and get some water in the wetsuit to get used to it, and it will provide you with an insulating layer against the skin. They are updating us on water temp 2mo, so watch the website.

Good luck for sunday.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Jonhinio had a look at the start line and noted "It's hardly flowing at present" so good news. Water not too cold at the moment either, so all good.

Bet there's a bleedin torrential downpour Sunday morning.

Depending on the flow, I might go for a more central line on the way out, save myself a bit of distance.

• BmanBman Posts: 442
    Good call Flava, I was thinking the same thing. I was told by a friend who's done it that it could be worth to stick more central for a while longer cos the hordes rush for the side straight from the start.