Home Chat General Chat

feeling relieved but stupid

md6md6 Posts: 969
well i have just found that there are now bike lap times available for my first tri. Having been thouroughly dissapointed with the bike time, i thought I'd have a look. As i scrolled down the page i noticed something, my lap count went up to 10, the race was over 9 laps...and the guy that finished first only had 8 lap times...well If I did an extra lap, surely i can knock that off my time at least for my personal records? Or am I just cheating myself with my lack of basic numeracy skills?

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Thats not cheating. just make sure you learn to count for next time!
  • johnashtonjohnashton Posts: 32
    For your personal records fine but I'm sure that if a race car driver did one extra lap then it's be there own fault and wouldn't win. But I've done it so I cannot talk, I couldn't work out why my normal 400m 7 minute swim suddenly jumped to over eight in my first race, and realised the pool was a differnet length to what i'd been practising in. What a spanner!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Yeah point taken, learning to count is this weeks lesson for my rest day, must be the mythical '5th discipline'
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Brilliant!

I'm sure you're not the first mate and definitely not the last... Nine laps though? Yeesh! I struggled to count to 4 at Eton, having to shout to the misses "IS THIS MY LAST LAP?"... "YES YOU DOUGHNUT!" was the spiriting reply.

• Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    earning to count is this weeks lesson for my rest day
    I've just bought one of these: SportCount LapCounters.

I know that I will never be able to count. Which is the biggest lesson of all!

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Flavadave wrote:

Brilliant!

I'm sure you're not the first mate and definitely not the last... Nine laps though? Yeesh! I struggled to count to 4 at Eton, having to shout to the misses "IS THIS MY LAST LAP?"... "YES YOU DOUGHNUT!" was the spiriting reply.

Risking a DQ there Flavadave!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Jules wrote:

Really??? *gulp* Maan, I got so much to learn...
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    Counting??? I have a computer to do that at work.... Might take some practise to count to more than four
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Flavadave wrote:
    ORIGINAL: Jules

Really??? *gulp* Maan, I got so much to learn...

Yeah, if a marshall spotted you apparently - counts as outside assistance. I did the Oulton Park Duathlon, which is a six lap bike. The race info had tips on counting the laps which specifically referred to not being allowed to have someone tell you what lap you were on.

Best to work out a codeword for the last lap [:D]
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Did a pool based tri last year where I seemed to be only just in front of the other guys in transition, despite lapping them in the pool.

That's what comes from doing 18 lengths instead of 16....

(In my defence the lane marshal didn't give me the 2 length warning that we were promised and when I popped up after 16 and said "I'm finished, right?" she looked at the guys I'd lapped and said "Errr, two more" then got back to chatting with her mate.)