Home Chat General Chat

Smelly water bottles

Thats right, it also keeps any nasty germs from multiplying!! When I'm not using my bottles they get stored in the freezer........

Comments

• MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    Guess what I learned yesterday... apparently if you keep your empty water bottles in the freezer it stops them smelling of plastic or whatever you had in it previously. Magic!

This tip was brought to yu by the good people of Bridgtown Cycles.
  • The dishwasher gets them nice and clean!
  • fatstufatstu Posts: 46
    Watch the temperature on the dishwasher though... Some of my bottles are not exactly bottle shaped any more [:D]

Once a month with Milton does a good job too I find
  • BubbaBubba Posts: 2
    Top tip just put all my bottles in the freezer.

If you have any more Top Tips let us all know

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Wicked... some of my old ones smell of rotten fruit or old socks.

I'll give this a try.

Bridgetown to the rescue again

• MintyMatMintyMat Posts: 98
    I hate the taste of water bottle so thought I'd try this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Camelbak_Podium_620ml~21oz_Bottle/5360033551/

Great bottle, doesn't leak, tastes of water and once on the bike it's always open you just need to squeeze. Well worth the money.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    I do the same thing for my camelback bladder. Nice cold water later when out on a trail too.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    MintyMat wrote:

Great bottle, doesn't leak, tastes of water and once on the bike it's always open you just need to squeeze. Well worth the money.

£7.99 for a bottle??!! Are you mad?!!
  • MintyMatMintyMat Posts: 98
    MG wrote:
    ORIGINAL: MintyMat

£7.99 for a bottle??!! Are you mad?!!

I thought that initially but it's about a fiver more than a cheap one. A fiver. and it makes my ride more enjoyable and easier. I can take it to work in my bag and not have it spill anywhere and it survives the dishwasher.

In the world of tri an extra fiver to get the very best is unheard of.
  • couple of spoons of bicarbonate of soda in a bottle full of water left overnight is great at getting rid of the lingering taste of previous drinks
  • j27rtj27rt Posts: 102
    Numpty question I'm afraid - when you put the bottle in the freezer do you put the lid on or off?
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    Oh great so now on top of the new bike, trainers and wetsuit i need to buy a second freezer!!!!!

This is never ending
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    clarkey30 wrote:

Oh great so now on top of the new bike, trainers and wetsuit i need to buy a second freezer!!!!!

This is never ending

I was just thinking this! We don't have enough space for all the food as it is [:D]

I don't wash my water bottles in the dishwasher as the heat makes them go out of shape and the tops leak.

Fortunately my sense of smell is not great so I can put up with them whiffing a bit.
  • clarkey30clarkey30 Posts: 270
    baby sanitiser stuff works for me