Home Chat General Chat

Coffin runs for 10K speed

Started doing coffin runs round my local footy pitch works out one lap = 0.25 miles (mapmyrun)

3/4 pace on the diagonal, and 1/2 pace running the length.

anyone else used/using this method to build speed for there running?

it feels like a decent work out any way!

also doing a long run (40-50mins) as part of training prog

My running is my worst event

5k = 24m

10k= 47m

got 11 weeks till my primary event!

Anyone think I'm barking up the wrong tree with coffins?

Comments

• MintyMatMintyMat Posts: 98
    Never heard of coffin runs but they sound like good speed work. I'm no expert but I'd be extending the longer run to at least an hour fifteen.

You need to make 10k feel like a ludicrously short distance to your legs. I like to do 90min 10 mile runs once a week when preparing for a 10k. I'll mix this with one speed session (usually 6-8 800ms at 3.10-20ish) and one decent pace 5 mile-10k run. It's all a personal thing though.

Good luck.
  • hazohazo Posts: 18
    Not heard of coffin runs either - but I've used footie pitches for speed work too.

Soft, level, measured distances - great training patch.

As minty said - you need to be stretching that long run out - 1 mile (max) extra a week works for me.

I use 10K races as a good focus for my training.

Choose a time you want to run a 10K - 45minutes looks like a nice round number.

Then practice running at this pace for say 2miles building up, over several weeks, to 5miles at race pace.

Runners World does a really good training plan. Take a look at the 40 -50min training plan for an idea of what you might want to aim at.

For me - recovery between speed sets/reps is really important -ensures quality.

Good luck

• TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228

okay,

coffin run must be a local term. (used to do them at footy and rugby training in my youth)

its a 3/4 pace the length of the pitch then a sprint diagonal across the pitch, repeated.

cheers for the input.

so one decent long run and another interval session. per week.

thanks heaps

I'm hoping for a 45 min 10K in august
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    I think in most peoples language you are doing strides. A very very good workout to increase speed.

Most peoples misconception of distance running is building endurance without working on speed. But working on you speed for short distances can greatly increase you speed endurance which is the key to faster times.

One of my 3 key workouts a week is a track speed session, doing strides on grass has a similar effect. By doing repeated runs at sub-maximal speed you will increase running economy.

Remember when you are doing this workout you should be concentrating on form.
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    Is this the same as fartlek? Sounds like one of the sessions my running club does, also involving sprinting & jogging round a footie pitch.

It's good for knowing that you've still got some in the tank if you need to go anaerobic & put in a sprint finish.