Home Chat General Chat

4th Sprint in..

Error whilst Doing a Replacement, Error in srv_convert.

Comments

• gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    It may not have completely gone to plan, but at least you nailed the bike. It doesn;t matter how much you read the race pack, it never gives the full detail about run into transtion etc, so that always comes as a suprise, and I never seem to make enough allowance for it when calculating a taget time.

I too have got my 4th sprint of the year next Sunday, and it's a slightly different format to the ones I've already done, as T1 and T2 are in dfferent locations, so not too sure how to set up, or how to collect detritus as end. Also, to make it worse it's a 15 minute walk from the carpark to transtion as well. I'm also going without my wingmen (wife and daughter), and it's Fathers Day, and it's a 2 1/2 drive, so early start.

Anyway, glad you finished, and I'm sure that you've learnt alot from the weekend, and you right about the bike, bling bike + crap rider = slow time, crap bike + good rider = good time, and as you seem to fall into the latter imaine bling bike + good rider.

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Just got the times emailed there.

swim t1 bike t2 run total

15m 52s 2m39s 42m3s 2m12s 27m24s 1hr30m 10s

Bike section time seems wrong as my computer had 39min on it but I'm querying that one. T1/T2 times really cost but interestingly the swim time is better than my last tri where I felt I nailed it. This one I felt I didn't nail it but I'm quicker..... how the foock does that work?

Best of all, given the crappy T1/T2 I'm quicker by 1m than my last tri.......

Weird.

The swim time is probably better as you were working more efficiently, the long smooth glide that everyone talks about. Whats your secret?

gdh,

the problem that I had is that most of it was done on breaststroke..... I done about 10 length in front crawl trying to keep up that I lost all my ryhthmn and ditched it. Went back to breaststroke, I know that I can swim better, christ I do it every week in the pool, doing all the drills, long swims but in race meetings I lose it completely.

I'm rejoining the triclub this week I seriously need to sort my swim times out. Still got other areas to focus on as well. The guy who won the tri done the 20k in 28mins..... how the hell is that possbile?
    I'm in the same boat. Three Sprints, and never finished the swim doing crawl. In the pool, I can crawl for 2k without a problem, must be the pressure, adrenaline, or I need to pace myself better.

As to the abilities of others, it never ceases to amaze me. duirng a recent event I took about 5 minutes of max HR effor to reel in a cyclist ahead and pass him inch-by-inch, only for some wippet to cruise passed me as if I was standing still.

Well I know that I get really motivated on the bike, whilst the rider makes the difference I'm sure that if I had a better bike I would be quicker, given the fact that I nailed two of them on their bling bikes only reinforces that.

I did notice on Sunday that my gear choices were miles better than previously, I had plently of scope to up/down shift just to give me that bit more when I needed it.

If only I had the capital for a decent bike. Not joking my bike is far too heavy.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Those times don't look too bad to me shadowone.

I think it's really hard to compare one race with another..no two courses are identical. The bike and run courses I've done have varied massively..plus been one or two k different from each other. Doing the same races next season will be the real indication of how your training is/has gone. But even then your times might be affected by weather etc!

And transitions have varied. See how yours compare with the best in that race and then think about where you can improve.

Being my first season I'm trying to judge each race on effort levels..and looking at those better than me to see areas which need most work.

My second tri, unlike my first where I was a bit cautious, I gave it everything I had. You can't ask more of yourself than that.

I keep being told every race makes you a wiser athlete and even if you're slightly disappointed by one or two aspects you're in a better position now than when you started. Plus, sometimes you need a bad discipline or two to keep you motivated/hungry.

Best of luck for Sunday.

I know I'm making progress and for training on my own I'm relatively pleased. Thought I'd post my times so far this season:

Event Swim T1 Bike t2 run total

Edinburgh Uni Sprint 21m, 28s ? 50m30s 1m 29 30m 1h43m

Galashiels Sprint 17m, 21s 3m,7s 48m,37s 2m,40 29,02 1hr40m

Dalkieth Sprint 16m, 13s 1m,01s 43,30s 1m,27s 27,53 1hr 30m

Peebles 15m 52s 2m39s 42m3s 2m12s 27m24s 1hr30m 10s

I should've mentioned in the Peebles sprint, I had to stop in T1 to use my asthma inhaler, I felt really tight in the chest.

Progress but could've done better. I'll not get near those times in the next tri but I'll do my best.
    You've showed me yours, show I'll show you mine. Here's my splits for my first three Tri's:

Swim +T1 Bike + T2 Run Total

# 01 400m/25km/5km 00:08:21 00:58:31 00:25:59 01:32:51

# 02 400m/16km/5km 00:08:45 00:37:19 00:25:17 01:11:21

# 03 400m/25km/5km 00:08:16 00:48:48 00:26:50 01:23:54

All of these were done back-to-back over three wekends in April/May, so there wasn't any time to trian in between to improve. I've got my next Tri this weekend, after 5/6 weeks of additional training. I'm conscious that one the first was I was a bit tentative, as I made sure I had enough for the next discipline, and didn't want to blow-up and DNF. In the last one I went too hard on the bike, and struggled on the run.

I've since started doing the Parkrun 5km, and currently have a PB of 23:54, although this isn't straight off the bike, my times are improving little-by-little.

I'd try not to get too bogged down in analysis riace after race, as not only is the terrain, geography, climate and logistics of each race different, you've also got your own physical condition to factor in. Analysing the results does give you some idea on where to focus your training for improvement, and my #03 is re-run in October where I've set myself the target of reducing each split by 10%. So time will tell.

I've also entered an OD event later this month, as my initial entries were just to see if I can complete a Triathlon, but now I know I can so the sprints, I now need to find out whether I''m a speed freak, and stick to Sprints, or better at the endurance element an go OD, HIM or ultimately IM.

Only time will tell, but the focus in my training that these events have given me is fantastic, and like you I wish I was quicker, but so far I've finished all my Tri's and Runs with a smile on my face glad that at 42 I can still race, but slightly regretful that I'l never get a podium position, but I am a Triathlete, and when you discuss it with most mortals they are still in awe at you.

Do your best, but don't beat yourself up over it, and take away the fun, because then there's nothing left.
    gdh,

Some good times in there. So well done. I was the same on the first tri. I done my first tri on the 28/03 and it was blowing a gale throughout but I also made some silly mistakes and held back a good bit.

I was really annoyed on Sunday but I'm more pleased with it now that I've seen that I wasn't as slow as I thought I was. Still waiting to hear back on my bike time as I had a different time to that one.

I've entered the Strathclyde OD in July, after my first OW next week I'll be focusing on ramping up the effort to this distance. Could be doing with some OW lessons though.

Good Luck and keep us posted.