Home Chat General Chat

New tyres...

I use Armadillos for my commuter and haven't had any issues with taking them on and off. I found that these tyres offered as much puncture resistance as the gator skins to.

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Dave,

I use these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Continental_Ultra_Gator_Duraskin_Folding_Tyre/5360028710/

Found them not too bad to get one. Got really pissed off with punctures I went for these. Not a single puncture since. They were hard to get on but not too hard. I suppose its the gatorskin that stops it being as supple.

Have you tried strecthing the tyre a little? Try and work the rubber a bit and see how it feels then.

I do recommend those tyre tho
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Does anyone know of any decent tyres which are EASY to get on and off.

I've got the continental gatorskins tyres after various good reviews... However, they're an absolute b##tard to get on my wheels, so much so that I'm contemplating burning them after my weekend frustrations.

Friday before Windsor noticed my back tyre was a bit flat. Thought instead of hoping for the best I should replace the tube. After half an hour of frantic action with various tyre levers, including the speed lever, I eventually managed to get the tyre back on.

So, get to Windsor and the tyre is flat. Pinched the tube no doubt, so now I've got to change it again. After 20mins trying to get the tyre back on, and two broken levers, I admitted defeat. Took it to the triuk stall where the guy there even struggled but eventually sorted it with the help of levers

So, anyone got any suggestions? I'm worried that in a race if I get a flat I'll be DNF for sure as I'll never get the tyre back on!

Please help.
    Might be a daft question, and in danger of de-railing my own thread, but do people use lubricant to get tyres on?
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I have used a small amount of fairy liquid in the past.... a very small amount, as it says in the advert it goes a long way!!!

• MGMG Posts: 470
    I use the folding gatorskins (dont get them from wiggle!! get them from Probikekit they're cheaper).

When getting the tyre on, a speed lever is all you should need.

Practice makes perfect.....no sorry, PERFECT practice makes perfect!!

Get some spit, its free, and you will have some with you should you puncture during a race, not sure if i want to carry fairy liquid in my saddle bag!! Put the saliva around the rim of tyre (sounds minging, I know) the lever should then skate faultlessly around your wheel bedding your tyre in in seconds.

Sit down with wheel and tyre and practice practice practice.......soon enough youll only lose about 3-4min on a flat during a race.........
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Completely biased advice, but my experience nonetheless:

Bontrager RaceXLite is a winning tire. Pretty quick, EASY on and off to change a tube, and durable enough to train/race on. I forget the cost, but would guess ~25.

• OranjOranj Posts: 45
    If you want tyres that almost fall off your rims, go for Vredesteins, they are a notoriously loose fit. I've not bought any for a while now, but I used to be able to get the Fortezza Tricomps on and off with only my thumbs.

Oh, and avoid Campag rims - they always come up slightly oversized. Pair these rims with Conti tyres and you'll never get them on!
    Thanks guys, all food for thought.

Will get some practice like you suggest MG and considering the Bontragers danny_s... Just another side question though for you guys with folding tyres.

Is there a good reason why you would choose folding tyres over non-folding?

Oranj wrote:

If you want tyres that almost fall off your rims, go for Vredesteins, they are a notoriously loose fit.

And I likes the sound of these... I'm on google now!
  • CCSCCS Posts: 53
    Have to admit that I haven't had any issues with gatorskins (in fact, the guy in the LBS recommended these over Armadillos as being far easier to put on / off) - and this is coming from someone who hadn't ever changed a tyre before, unless you count helping my dad when I was about 8, which is more years ago that I would care to admit to.

Perhaps it is indeed all down to the wheels you have (I have whatever came as standard on a basic Allez)
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    yes it s bloody anoying!

one day I will fiond that winning trie / wheel combination that will change easily!. one day...

I had some shimano wheels and conti gatorskin rigids and they really really really didnt like going on
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    I used Ultremo Rs for the UK HIM and they were awesome....no flats (and there were a lot) and soo smooth easy to get on/off my SRAM 60s too