Home Chat General Chat

Blister remedies

BmanBman Posts: 442
Compeed.

Comments

• BmanBman Posts: 442
    Well Im ready for some more training but after forgetting to vaseline my in-steps, combined with not-so-completely-worn-in shoes, I have a lovely combo of blisters on both feet after yesterday's race. Together with a twisted ankle after a misplaced step on the cobblestones on Eton bridge. Anyone got any fast-heal remedies that your granny told you, which strangely enough work? I would love to hear them.
    Excellent Jules, I can even wear my high heels with those! Simples.
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    Once repaired get some Surgical Spirit onto the feet where you normally experience blisters. This will help toughen up the skin and reduce the chances of getting a re-occurence.

Also, read that pro's tape their feet in the more common place pre-race!!!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I seem to recall that peeing on your feet toughens them up (never done it myself - and you girls don't start on your 'men weeing' jibes'), but I think the surgical spirit tip would be better for domestic harmony.
  • sperm of the rare blue nose trout, applied on feb 29 each year
  • Phil TPhil T Posts: 49
    I'm currently researching best blister prevention methods. Tried new Zoot sockless trainers at Dorney on Wed, feet ripped to pieces (and yes I did wear them in properly). Tried zinc oxide tape at Windsor on Sunday. Tape came off in the Thames feet ripped to pieces (really had to grizz out the run as Wed blisters opened after about 200m). New Zoots covered in blood now...which I kind of like. Tried better tape swimming tonight and some of it peeled off so I would have though that would make things worse. Will try with longer tape on wed swim session

But surgical spirit will harden the skin for sure so thats where I'm going next. I've heard putting vaseline (other lubricants are available) actually on the shoe rather than the feet is a winner too.

Of course the fail safe method is socks but if you're like me you don't want to wear socks. I'll keep you updated on my findings...

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Second skin from a walking shop. Its great. It wont help heal the blister but will protect it like nothing I have used before!
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I seem to recall that peeing on your feet toughens them up
    That's for athlete's foot!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Jack,

You are a fountain of knowledge. Where do you get all this information?

Just to add to a previous post, I got blisters on my toes with socks on so its still poss.

Not sure whether to brave a run tonight or not or whether just to have a long turbo session.
  • BARNYBARNY Posts: 157
    A blister plaster will sort you out.

Personally I run in little socketts... I figure I run faster being comfortable than not and putting the socks on takes 6secs max
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    I used to get blisters all the time from orienteering in the hills around home, and the one thing that always helped me was to drain the fluid. I know loads of people are going to say 'no, thats to protect the skin underneath, blah', but if you are walking on it, the tender skin will tear and end up much worse. Sort of depends on how big it is, but anything bigger than a 20p peice, defintely go for it.

Clean the blister, take a sterile needle (put it it a gas flame), then prick the side. Don't pull the skin off! You need to make sure it stays clean, then cover with a big band aid, or if it's in a spot where it'll get a lot of rubbing, compeed. Make sure to change the cover if it gets wet or too sweaty. Basically, keep it clean and covered.

Always worked for me.
    Well something I learned last night..dont try and swim with 50p-sized blisters with flappy skin on. Most disgusting feeling in the world.

But thanks for all the tips. I know where I always get rubbing on my feet, so cant believe I forgot to apply stuff beforehand. Pre-race nerves I guess.
  • First timerFirst timer Posts: 139
    This is a bit brutal but works very well and the pain only lasts about 5 mins. I drain the blister and into the small hole created put in a drop or two of either antiseptic spray or after shave. YES it will STING [:@] but the next day your ready to go again with out socks. Or if a little tender use medical tape.

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I always thought that there was no way I could run without socks but then got a pair of Asics Noosas. Wore socks to break them in and then applied Bodyglide liberally on the heel, sides and instep of the shoe. No problemo. When I do my 10K's though I always wear socks though.