Home Chat General Chat

So....what next.....

Well now the pain is starting to be a little more bearable in the legs I am now trying to decide what event to go for next....

I have managed to gain my wife's limited support to do a full IM (if I give up doing Reserve Forces stuff...) but which one??

I do best at swimming (not pushing it I came out of the water in 81st at Wimbleball) so a hard swim event would be best but also one which has a relatively low hill content would be good....

Thoughts?

I.

Comments

• cammykcammyk Posts: 36
    I'm going to register for IM Austria as soon as this years event gets done. Swim looks good as it goes right along the bank on some of it so plenty of support available and cycle leg is on a closed road. It fills up very fast every year.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I have no experience, but have been pondering similar questions myself. I have come up with two - Quelle Challenge Roth and IM Germany. The reasons are as follows:

Macca won Germany last year in less than 8 hours

Yvonne Van Vlerken set a new Ironman distance triathlon woman's world record at Roth.

Thus they must both be flat and fast. Also as both are in Germany, I would imagine the conditions to be fairly similar to what we have here.
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    Mowf wrote:

I have no experience, but have been pondering similar questions myself. I have come up with two - Quelle Challenge Roth and IM Germany. The reasons are as follows:

Macca won Germany last year in less than 8 hours

Yvonne Van Vlerken set a new Ironman distance triathlon woman's world record at Roth.

Thus they must both be flat and fast. Also as both are in Germany, I would imagine the conditions to be fairly similar to what we have here.

Fast yes, flat no. It's not UK 70.3 hilly, but if you want a flat course I don't think its going to do you any favors. I'd love to do Roth myself and am seriously considering it for next year. However that will require a new TT bike instead of the roady I just got two months ago.

• combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    I am not sure if I want a flat course but one with a good/interesting (non wetsuit??) swim and a relatively (not UK 70.3..) flat course....

what is IM NZ like?? Worth the travel?

I.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Challenge Barcelona might be worth a look.

It's a sea swim and pretty flat bike (although next to coast so could be breezy!)
  • Scott WScott W Posts: 51
    IM New York swim is all down stream !
  • I like the look of the Barcelona event, is it the first year it has ran? Could be a good one for me to plump for as a first-timer and comes at a good time of the year.

• combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    What about IM Switzerland next year?? Has anyone done it? Is it any good???

The swim looks nice and the bike looks fast (if a bit hilly - but not Wimbleball hilly) with a flat city marathon...

Thoughts anyone??
    I.