Home Chat General Chat

I swam in open water and I liked it!!

was it your first time in the open water? im going for my first time on sat, im a little bit worried as swimming is my weakest discipline.

Comments

• nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    Today I got over my fear of open water swimming I did 750m this morning and 1500m this evening. I went to Reading to the Blueseventy Swim Centre, the people there were really friendly and I would highly recommend it.

The bloke there was also doing the Norseman triathlon, what a lunatic.

No it was my third it has always been my weakest area, I had the fear last time as I did not prepare myself properly. The only advice I can give you is get there early stay at the side and just relax.

Also if I did not say relax.

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    nicknofinger wrote:

No it was my third it has always been my weakest area, I had the fear last time as I did not prepare myself properly. The only advice I can give you is get there early stay at the side and just relax.

Also if I did not say relax.

Great isn't it? I've done the open water thing a whole twice now (third time tomorrow). First time was a disaster, second time, great fun and such a relief not to be scared and panicking!
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Well done you for getting over 'the fear'!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Did my third open water swim in a wetsuit last night at the Serpentine in Hyde Park with SwimForTri.

Water was horrible, full of weeds and algae and not very deep either so continually swimming through big plumes of weeds which also smelt dodgy.

Did kind of enjoy it though. Coped better than previously and we all did a simulated 'Windsor' start which was useful... Mass start swimming over to one side and diagonal back, followed by a quick run after (dodging goose poo).

I guess the more you swim in OW the more relaxed you get. Having said that, I fully expect to be doing some breastroke on Sunday morning at approx 6.15am.
  • Congrats.

I had my first dip at Serpentine on Sunday. Was not exactly _pleasant_, but not too bad. To be honest, being _just_ able to stand up at either end is probably an advantage (certainly at the East end, where the algae seems worst).

The other swimmers I chatted too were all quite friendly, as well - there seemed to be quite a few 'newbies'.

Certainly worth doing the practice before a real OW swim, if only to get used to where the cold water goes as your suit fills up.

question: anyone got any tips for swimming in a straight line? (so far, I've tried alternating the breathing every 3rd/5th stroke, which seems to help)
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Think most swimmers will have a one-sided stroke to some degree... Bilateral breathing can help, but in a race situation I'm definitely breathing every two strokes.

Sighting is the way forward I reckon. Depending on how straight your stroke is in general will dictate how often you need to do this. Me... probably every 6 strokes I'll have a look and see where I'm heading but others may find they can go further without having to straighten up as often.

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    I've moved from terrified of open water to really enjoying it in four attempts.

Straight lines? Touch wood, regular sighting (about every 8 or 10 strokes, I'm not sceintific about it) seems to keep me going reasonably straight.
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    I love open water swimming, my first race (liverpool tri) is this weekend and a couple of weeks ago we has some training sessions, i'm really excited about the swim part even though swimming is my weakest sport...just hope the jellyfish do a runner from the first two races before mine.
    I'm even looking forward to it now, and I'm doing two this week.

Blueseventy on Thursday night and Chester Triathlon on Sunday.

• combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    My first every open water race was the 70.3 this year! I have only swum in OW three times before (twice at Lake 32 in the Cotswolds and once in a practice session for the 70.3) and I think it is excellent - but then I came out 81st with a 31:25 time for the 1.9km swim :-))

I.