Home Chat General Chat

sea swimming

can any one help me out here.

when i swim 1500m in pool or lake( w/ wetsuit) my time is 22min

swimming in the sea with suit my time is 29 min but without suit its 24min.

I find i am floating on top of water and have no power.

what do i need to do to improve my sea swim time

my suit is an orca predator i weigh 60kg if its any help

Comments

• MGMG Posts: 470
    Strange, triathlon wetsuits are primerily designed to give added bouyancy therefore you will be a little higher "out of the water", this should be better for your speed, in theory. A wetsuit does sometimes shorten your stroke though, and can cause your times to increase. If you feel that your swim is being compromised by the wetsuit, maybe you might benefit from trying some different types. Some tri shops do have an endless pool facility so you can try before you buy.

Good luck!
  • First timerFirst timer Posts: 139
    I have had the same problem, put my suit on and i slow down and felt restricted in my arm movement.

A friend suggested a change of suit so i purchased a new Aquasphere np.

GREAT now i feel comfortable i can breath and all is well.

So as MG says try another make and model there not all the same.

Good hunting....
  • apana790apana790 Posts: 76
    The technique for swimming in a wetsuit is a bit diffrent. You want to to glide accross the water and therefore slow down your stroke, also try to catch the water with your whole forearm, and dont forget not to do high elbow recovery as you would without a suit as this will waste some energy. If you already do all of this anyway it might be down to water temperature. If you find you're getting too much floatation you might want to consider buying one of the more expensive wetsuits as they offer less floatation and are designed for more experienced swimmers