Home Chat General Chat

Wheels....

Morning all,

Just a quick question on wheels

I've been doing tris for a couple of years on a road bike with tri bars and have managed to warp my rear wheel. I'm in the market for some new wheels but need some advice on what to get. Budget wise it will be low end (not aero wheels) in keeping with the fact I use a road bike and not a tri-specific bike. A couple of shops have suggested Mavic Ksyrium Equipe/Elite wheels which seem okay. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    Easton do great entry wheels at good prices.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    If you intend on training/commuting/racing on these wheels may I suggest Mavic Aksium. I've been training/commuting on these wheels for 3 years now and the still run as true as they did when I first had them. These wheels are absolutely BOMB PROOF!! They also come with flat aero spokes and arnt that heavy. A serious contender for the best allround wheel (no pun intended!). They wont break the bank either!!!
  • Thanks.

I've had a look at the easton wheels and they look good but I was concerned about how durable they are so Mavic seemed better from what I'd been told. I'm nearly 15st and ride to work regularly so need something to stand up to london roads/potholes etc. Alternatively, I was thinking of buying a v. base wheelset for bashing about on the commute and then having a better set for training/racing. Is there a good cheapo, heavy and rugged wheelset you know of?

• gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    The eastons are lighter for the entry level so good value and rated high on reviews.

As for commute wheels maybe something like a shimano 105 hub laced up with mavic rims. Plenty of built up ones on ebay, cost as much as entry race wheels but they will be easy to service, get parts for and maintain.
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    I second the vote for Aksiums. Got a set, and despite riding them around south London at high speed, they are still 100%. Great hoops.
  • What about the Fulcrum 5 set? Anyone raced/trained on those?

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I got EASTON EA70's - purely because at the time; a. they had a reputation as best bang for the buck and b. a friend had an almost new set up for grabs (WAT officer gave hime a WAT refund so he max'd out and got his dream set up).

No problems so far seem to roll nicely er that's it really

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheels/wheelsets/easton/PRD_412143_2490crx.aspx
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Shimano Tiagra's. Found them totally solid. Hit several potholes on the tri on sunday and not a hint of a buckle.....

One of the best investments for £150
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Campagnolo, Easton, Mavic are all good. If you are big avoid budget lighter wheels as they will flex and the bearings tend not to be as good.

Probably Mavic are the "safest option" but are seen as less exotic as the others