Home Chat General Chat

peroneal insertional tendonitis

Have a recurring problem with pain down the outside of my left foot and a trawl of the interweb suggests that the problem is "peroneal insertional tendonitis"

Any experience of this or suggestions on how to deal, causes etc?

Getting in the way of training and very frustrating

Comments

• ipay1980ipay1980 Posts: 84
    my only experience is with patella tendonitis. the approach they took was to scan, see how spread or compact it was. in my case they then operated and cut out the dead tendon!

i am no doc, but would suggest rest first if not better get a scan!
  • Phil TPhil T Posts: 49
    Hi Scott. Peroneal pain is strongly linking to a lateral loading (i.e. supinating) foot. Have you been gait assessed at all? I mean by a good physio or podiatrist with good lower limb biomechanical knowledge not someone in a running shop. It can also occur if you have been recommended and sold anti-pronation trainers and you don't need them.

Give me a pain description too. i.e. dull ache, sharp, constant, when it occurs what makes i go away etc.

As a differential diagnosis don't discount plantarfasciitis (PF). PF can occur anywhere on the sole of the foot

Cheers Phil
  • Scott WScott W Posts: 51
    Phil,

Thanks for the response. During an outbreak tt is a dull ache constantly and then stabbing when I put weight on it.

Last serious outbreak (before this one) was in Florida 10 days ago, responded to NSAID (Advil 200mg) and ice and elevation. Went as quick as it came.

I am wondering if it could be the running shoes I have...they are on last legs so have taken to wearing them more day to day (including long days walking round Disney) and after the Florida outbreak reverted to tennis shoes.

Sounds like I do need a decent gait analysis and ensure i get right shoes
  • gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    When sitting down have a tennis ball on the floor and roll your feet over it. Do this exercise in the evenings when cruising the web. My wife has had this problem off and on due to lots of walking on hard floors at work.
  • Phil TPhil T Posts: 49
    Yeah I'd get your trainers checked out and if they're old it won't be helping. There aren't many run shops I trust. Alexandra sports in Portsmouth used to have a very good podiatrist but not sure if he is still there. Lanson Running in Hampton Wick seem quite clued up. I let them carry out an assessment on my girlfriend and they were pretty accurate. I'm a podiatrist myself so I'd like to think I have some knowledge about gait and biomechanics.

Rolling a tennis ball is good advice but even better is a cold food tin (i.e. baked bean tin straight from the fridge) and you can eat whatever is in it afterwards.

Let me know how it goes

Phil