Home Chat General Chat

Abuse!

Whilst out for a run yesterday evening, and got the usual "Run! Forest Run!", never fails to make me smile. Does anyone else get anything more original?

Comments

• nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    Usually someone smoking outside a pub shouting go on son. Also the usual chav hanging out of a corsa when I'm on the bike. But they always forget that on on a bike you're pretty quick and you catch them up at the next lights.

I caught one group once and while they were queing I cycled down the side of the car and shouted back at the inside of his car. The boy jumped from one side of his car to the other and I laughed off down the road. It was just to make him jump not to scare him.
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    A favourite one round here when you're on your bike is "your wheels are going round and round and round" Not sure that it really is as clever as they seem to think it is or perhaps I'm missing something! Reply is "did you know your mouth was opening and closing and noise was coming out"
  • gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    Your all pretty nuts to answer back to cars?? I may give a gesture if i am not in the wrong.

My mate had someone one a bike knock his mirror and then give a gesture..... so when he started moving again he ran them over. So i aways bear that in mind when shouting at cars. He got a years ban and his answer is if it happened again he wouldn't stop after running em down. He was kind enough to call an ambulance after all.

• gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Remind me not to cycle near you!
    I only ever do it when there's a big queue or I write an email the the company if it's a van/lorry informing there transport manager to give there drivers some training.

There are some lunatics on the road I'm always pretty careful who I have a word with. Usually I give them the use your eyes sign.
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    I only really reply to pedestrians - too scared of what car drivers might do having been run off the road, spat at and had stuff thrown at me just for being there.

I did have a friend who had a muffin thrown at her out of a car window though
    luckily most of my riding is done at the same time day in day out. I could probably tell you the reg numbers of most of them! Its like groundhog day.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I once had a lovelly Swindon chavette shout "hey you - the one with no muscles". Usually i just have a little grin and crack on. But i have to admit, that one stung a bit!
  • Chris JChris J Posts: 71
    On a course in Bradford recently. Running round a park where white people were the minority (not a racist comment - just a fact) and got spat at by a scary looking fellow who then bared his teeth at me on the next lap. Had he known I am in the military I suspect he may not have been so friendly. [:D][:D]
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228

Twice I've been attacked by a dog on my local beach! (drew blood twice)

and I get chased by two giant poodles on a monthly basis ( I hate them!)

Got told I had 'a nice tight arse' once while running past a local pub in a wet-suit. I felt violated.

Gotta keep a sense of humor in this triathlon game!

• IronABSIronABS Posts: 66
    I've had a few nightmares - I've had glass bottles thrown at me whilst on the bike by drunks outside a pub - I've been attacked by swans whilst running on the outskirts of Manchester City Centre, it literally took flight after me, Usain Bolt would'nt have been able to catch me although i doubt he'd have been screamin like a little school girl like me!!! - Another occasion on the bike after shouting at a car that had just nearly ploughed me down at a roundabout, the aforementioned car slammed its brakes on and then attempted to reverse into me only missing me because i had my wits about me.

Apart from these incidents i get the usual "C'mon lad" from local scallies and i'm the bemused looks from others like they've never seen someone out running or on a bike before!!

Its the beauty of training around Manchester/Salford/Ancoats/Cheetham Hill - Long runs/Bike rides are always the order of the day just to get as far away from this hell hole as possible if just for a couple of hours!!!
  • I've had the usual rounds of "run forest run", chavs making to jump shouting into the road in front of me (as happened this morinig) etc. even had a reasonably serious case of road rage where some guy swerved his car sideways to try and ram me off my bike etc. but this weekend I was up in Scotland and had an entirely different experience.

I was supposed to be visiting my sister in Edinburgh but I took the opportunity to go for a long ride to work on my hill legs, I ended up dong the route of the Southern Upland Sportive, a beautiful ~170k ride south of Glasgow. Anyway at about 90k you hit a big 20% climb and as I crawled up at near walking pace I encountered a friendly farmer complete with collie who strolled alongside me for a way trying to engage me in conversation...

I caught snippets of "Looks like hard work that!", "its an awful long way to the top","won't you be fit then?" and "lovely view though" before muttering something about how it was bloody hard work and that I wished I could have some of that fitness now! As I left him behind me he called good luck before going back to whistling at his dog who by now had raced ahead and was gathering the sheep.

It definitely made me smile as it made a pleasant change from the usual obscenities, and he was right... the view from the top was stunning!

• anitaanita Posts: 27
    Brilliant responses. Bit naughty but I have my MP3 music on so I dont have to hear any abuse that I am getting from anyone. However I probably give myself more abuse at the moment getting use to clip ons. Only fell off my bike twice today and I I tell you my pride was more than dented. Just glad no one seen me lol. Would not mind but it was at the end of the ride and I forgot I was clipped in lol Dont ask.
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    [/quote]
    Got told I had 'a nice tight arse' once while running past a local pub in a wet-suit. I felt violated.

pls tell me this pub was near a beach or pool??? otherwise i'm slightly bemused as to why you were running past it in your wetsuit??
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    I had a cracker about a month ago..... (You have to understand I deal with chav twats on a daily basis and I had my fill this evening).... was cycling over Epsom Downs, and a battered Corsa pulled up next to me when I was spinning up a nice hill. 2 chav youths in the car being complete cocks, swearing and abusive to me.

Water of a ducks back usually but then they started on about the wife..... so I stopped, they stopped and turned off ignition, I unclipped and walked over to the drivers door staddling my bike with one foot still clipped in.

He was being SO rude, so I simply told him to behave himself and then pointed at an imaginary police car - he turned to look out of the passenger window - I then leant in and took his keys and rode off back down the hill - the look on their faces told a thousand words.

I tossed the keys in a bush about a mile away and went the long way home. LOL

PS - if you do this make sure you

a) have an escape route that is faster than they can run

b) You are in ther right gear

c) they don't get a hold of you

d) Laugh out loud and point at them as you ride away.

legend!!! ^^^^^

• JoddyBearJoddyBear Posts: 66
    willieverfinish wrote:

e) Don't cycle on that route again for a long, long, time. [:D]

Genius!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I once had a local chav pretend to punch me and shouted 'aaaagh' as i ran past on him and his girlfriend a narrow part of the Thames path. unfortunately he actually hit me on the side of my head. I got some good speed work in for the 5 seconds it took me to catch him and give him a little 'attitude adjustment' in response.

I've also had the comments from cars and someone who thought it was funny to knock on my helmet (oh) at traffic lights, to ask directions, although i actually thought that was quite funny.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    I then leant in and took his keys and rode off back down the hill - the look on their faces told a thousand words.

absolute classic!

You can almost see their faces now - fuming!!!
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228

Don't worry Brizzichick I don't go out running in my wet-suit!!

I live 2 mins from the beach so I suit up in doors then run down to the water!

unfortunately this requires passing a boozer full of undesirables!
  • chapperschappers Posts: 97
    in the winter on a commute home, I had not one but two chavs drive past me and slap me on the ass. They stopped at the top of the hill for some reason and Iknow I shouldn't have done it but I rode past and slapped one of their wing mirrors.. I heard "follow him" from behind me at which point I turned into jack bauer trying to lose them. Eventually stopped where they couldn't, turned florescent jacket inside out (jack would have been proud of my make shift disguise) and took a different route home. Not what your legs need on a Friday after a shedloads of training in the week.

Other than that Ive been egged (again from a drive by chav) when out running- feckers
  • TommiTriTommiTri Posts: 879
    where do you people live???

I have never been abused by chavs, but I was running once and a guy (who I presume was not all there) started running with me, he tried his best to keep up with me, but eventually failed and shouted "jog on" to me as I ran off!
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    A few years ago I was in great shape - lean, defined, tanned and a fully shaven head. I was on the bike wearing shades a rowing singlet and shorts. Anyway I very cheekly rode up a column of cars that were stopped at lights, it must have infuriated one driver (a dumpy 50 something), because as he passed me, he shouted at me "if you try that again I will knock your ballyx in". I caught up with him at the next set of very slow lights, I calmly got off the bike strode over to him and suggested that he would not have to wait - he could have a go at knocking it in now - He grew very small and declined my offer.

Advice - avoid responding to drivers' abuse; I know of one guy who was killed because he had a go at a driver (the driver is now in prison)

• GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I have had the usual Chavs shouting from cars whilst I am on the bike or running - in fact last night one shouted as I was running - I just ignore them and carry on. Not yet had anything thrown at me but have been cut up and beeped at on several occassions just for the pure fact that I am riding a bike ... its a jungle out there ;)

willieverfinish wrote:

He was being SO rude, so I simply told him to behave himself and then pointed at an imaginary police car - he turned to look out of the passenger window - I then leant in and took his keys and rode off back down the hill - the look on their faces told a thousand words.

Amazing just amazing, keep safe though the unfit have cars.

• MintyMatMintyMat Posts: 98
    My favourite run ever was a 6am very jet lagged Sunday morning jog around Sydney Harbour. Had the place to myself except for a couple of drunks on the Opera House steps who pointed and laughed a lot, they got a big wave. Amazing memories. First time I'd been to Australia, woke up at 5 and thought "I fancy a run".
  • had a wierd one the other day...was walking back from morrisons and some chavs started shouting "show us yer shopping"....

wtf?

was temped to show him a can and his front wind shield breaking...but would it have been worth £30 of shopping?

• BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I find that most of it is usually of the harmless kind: cycling or running alongside (or sometimes even swimming) with the usual "Come on mate, I could beat you". I laugh it off with "Yeah, you probably could. But I'm x miles ahead of you already!". It always gets a bit of a chuckle and at least they appreciate that you're having a laugh about it. Also, a good response to "I'll race you!" is "No chance, mate, I'm knackered!".

It all works far better than "F*** off!"

Having said that... willi's story is utter gold and reminds me of the time that two Jacks in a Range Rover with WAGs in the back slowed down next to me. Passenger shouted "Oo are you, ven?? Lance bloody Armstrong??" and gobbed at me. At the next lights there they were, window still down, right next to the 'no cars' turning I was about to take... unfortunately, it coincided with one of those occasions when you need to need to clear all that de-hydrated mucus out of the back of your throat. I'd love to think it went into a heater vent, but I think I hit the dashboard. [:D]

On another occasion, a battered white van came close enough to hit me with the door mirror so the passenger could chuck the remains of his McD's at me. I got the number and called the rozzers when I got home. They put my complaint through to the local nick where a lovely police lady cyclist got put onto it. She was utterly furious... and even knowing that with no witnesses there was zero chance of a prosecution she made that idiot's life uncomfortable for months. Letters, compuslory producers, compulsory attendance interviews (3 of them! LOL!). I got a really nice letter from her saying that she couldn't take it further but she was sure the driver in question was very aware of cyclists. Result!

Seriously, though. If some tosspot cuts you up, puts you in danger, or you get hit by something chucked from a car (that is called 'Assault') get the number and report it. If some dick is doing it often then the more their number comes up the more they are likely to get pulled.
    Bopomofo wrote:

On another occasion, a battered white van came close enough to hit me with the door mirror so the passenger could chuck the remains of his McD's at me. I got the number and called the rozzers when I got home. They put my complaint through to the local nick where a lovely police lady cyclist got put onto it. She was utterly furious... and even knowing that with no witnesses there was zero chance of a prosecution she made that idiot's life uncomfortable for months. Letters, compuslory producers, compulsory attendance interviews (3 of them! LOL!). I got a really nice letter from her saying that she couldn't take it further but she was sure the driver in question was very aware of cyclists. Result!

Best kind of payback that's great.

• I don't mind the guys who shout and drive on... they're twats but I can usually let it slide.

But, I did call the cops on a guy who first tried to ram me off the road in his huge mitsubishi 4x4 (Twice- I avoided him the first time so he tried again!) then stopped and started throwing punches a me through his open window. He was just about to get out of the car to discuss things up close and personal when his wife who had been egging him on called him off- he spat in my face before speeding off. It was a sunny Sunday afternoon and the way the guy was acting I wouldn't be surprised if he was drunk.

Anyway, the cops were really helpful and went round to the house only to find the car was registered to the address of some old biddy. Apparently falsely registered cars are surprisingly common, but they have the number on record so if he ever gets pulled for anything else it will automatically red flag his number plate.

The thing that surprised me most was that while this was going on a train of about 15 cars built up, all of whom could clearly see what was going on, and all of whom calmly indicated around our little altercation and drove off... not one stopped to check everything was ok.