Home Chat General Chat

to tri or not to tri?

Go for it. Surely a DNF is better than a DNS, at least it shows you tried. But even a DNF is unlikely, you're guaranteed a PB, and it'll give you something to sim at in London. But I can guarantee that if you do it, London will not be your next, you'll be searching for another one to enter in between.

Comments

• pippip Posts: 170
    Mine own personal opinion would be to train as hard as poss without doing a tri this way the more you get out on your bike and get running your confidence will grow and grow as you get fitter.Iwouldn`t do any brick sessions to start with but after a couple of months training have a go at a bike/run session concentrating on mainly finishing rather than posting a great time,but log your time because that will act as a bencmark and i`d say do a couple of bike/run bricks a month.I`m no expert but this is what i did and it worked for me.The first brick session was agony on the run but it got easier.Give it whirl you may be pleasantly suprised
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Something you might want to consider, to get a bit of confidence, is doing some individual events before hand. Just to get a feel for competing and overcoming the nerves.

Running would be an obvious first move.

Have a look at www.parkrun.com and see if there is one near you!

Good luck though - you will enjoy the tri and do better than you think!
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Doitdoitdoitdoitdoitdoit!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Oh Go on,Go on,Go on,Go on,Go on.

You will always have to start a race,if I have a bad race,I treat it as a learning experience,and from the amount I keep learning I must be at the bottom of the remedial class.

So it would be good to get a couple of races in before London,for experience,but what if thru some intervention you couldn't do these races???Would you not start at London.Course not,you would be there ready to go,anxious through anticipation.Eager to start and show some of the young pretenders how to race.

So do it,every race is an experience,if you are worried about losing it thru empty legs,just relax and don't hammer the bike,build up the momentum through the race,for the last half mile spin the pedals on an easy gear,you will hardly lose any time,and the run will be so much easier.Best of luck.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Go on - do it!

We all started off exactly wher you are - except perhaps for Conehead who probably leapt out at birth and headed for T1

• maltesermalteser Posts: 25
    thanks for the input ppl ... I have indeed signed up for the race and will be going for it

cheers!
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Well done, sometimes clicking the 'send' button on the entry form is harder than the race itself. I know from experience, attempted to enter the London OD numerous times but bottled it at the last screen, kept getting emails telling me I'd only part completed my entry. Finally plucked up the courage, and entered, only then to be told 'sorry, it's full', now only doing the sprint. Lesson learnt!

Good luck, and let us know how it went.

Which event is it?

• ScibbyScibby Posts: 55
    out of interest - are you from malta or do you just like the chocs?
    Scibby, I am actually maltese (don't eat choc) :)

as for the race its one of the Team Outrageous midweek series sprints organised in Larkfield Kent ... I do some open water swimming with MIke there so it seemed like a logical palce to start
  • ScibbyScibby Posts: 55
    Sweet - me too!
    I've actually done it ... i've completed my first sprint triathlon and I am absolutely buzzing ... knackered but buzzing!!! Thank you Team Outrageous for a well organised event, thanks to all those who kept encouraging me during the run and thanks to my lovely wifey (my wingwoman) for the support and the cheering

I can now call myself a triathlete (albeit a slow one - but hey I've gotta start somewhere)

and if you were wondering ... distances were 550m/16km/5km and my time was 1hr 21.05

frikkin brilliant ... bring on the next one!
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Don't put yourself down, that time is impressive! How did the race go, what did you learn from it, and when's the next one?
    there's plenty I can improve on as I see it

1. I had never practiced T1 - the wetsuit is new and I couldn't unstrap the velcro ties, wasted about a minute hopping about trying to stretch it so i could rip it off me ... so T1 was a laboroius and ultimately frustrating process - I don't need to wear cycle gloves and I need to buy myself elastic laces ... I should know all this really but there's no substitute for learning from experience.

2. I'm not comfortable enough on the bike. I need to be out on the road more practising ... spinning just doesn't do it ... I don't push a high enough gear on the flats and I push too low a gear on inclines ... that needs to be remedied ... plus I'm still getting used to the gearing and I often change up or change down at the wrong time, meaning my feet fly off the pedals (i don't have bike shoes) wasting me some time.

apart from that its just continuing the training and getting fitter and faster in each event ... next Tri is the London sprint for now ... but will be hunting for one more to do I reckon before that.