Home Chat General Chat

Turbo, Rollers or Spinning?

I've been doing Spinning classes for the last five years, and my current schedule is:
Monday: 30 minute row, 45 minute Spinning class, 30 minute treadmill, 30 minute Spinning, 10 minute treadmill
Tuesday: 60-90 minute outdoor run, 60 minute Body Condition class, 60 minute Spinning class, 10 minute treadmill
I also do 2-3 20-30 minute swmim session, 1 60-90 minute run session, a 5km Parkrun race, and 1 2-3 hour bike ride a week.

I feel that I'm doing a fair mix, but I note that others are using Turbo Trainers. My questions are:
Is there a significant difference in the benefits gained between a Spining Class and a Turbo session?
For use at home, would rollers or a Turbo be better?
Ultimately, is it better to get outdoors and cycle, rather than cycle indoors?

Comments

• cammykcammyk Posts: 36
    I find personally its better to cycle outside than do a gym session and i get more from it. i find spinning in a class better than doing a training bike session on my own as I can push myself harder in company. Any activity is better than none.
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I do try to get out as often as I can, but I feind that if I call in home after work, then I get sidelined, whereas going straight to the gym, I canget on with what I had planned. I to find it difficult to work as hard on my own on a SPin bike as wehn I'm in a formal session, but that's obviously something I'll have to work on, because come race day, I'm on my own.
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Hi there,

I prefer to go out cycling when I can - there's nothing like experiencing all the inconsistencies of cycling on the road and I'm learning how best to use my aero bars. However I do also use a turbo trainer and here's why:

I can do a session when it's chucking it down/is freezing cold/is windy/I'm feeling wimpy
    I can structure my sessions i.e. I can manage exactly how hard I want to work
    I can focus on technique and do drills that would have me on the tarmac in no time in the real world.

I have a very cheap Cyclops Magneto and I love it. No wires, no fuss, the resistence changes when I change gear and I get all my info from my Cateye V2.

Simples. Oh bugger, that's stuck in my head now.....

blurredgirl
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    I'd say try and spend more time on your bike.
    That may mean getting a turbo..but when it's lashing it down I quite enjoy getting the mountain bike out and going for a ride on that.
    Working indoors and swimming indoors is bad enough. I'd rather get out than sit in my living room/sweaty gym exercising.