Home› Chat› General Chat

OMG...only two days to go

Well, i'm feeling a little panicky now. I'm doing my first ever triathlon on Sunday in Liverpool. Its only the supersprint event which is 400m OW swim (complete with jellyfish), 10k ride and 2.5k run....having done a lot of training i've been thinking i should have entered sprint but now i'm glad i didn't cause i'm feeling nervous about it....i dont want to be dead last.
i'm doing it all in pretty amateur gear but i'm not too bothered as i think the whole supersprint will probably be full of first timers...i'm hoping most people are nervous about the swim also so it wont be so rough.

Any last minute tips???

Comments

• JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    Just enjoy it

I only did my first one a couple of weeks ago. You'll surprise yourself at how quick you are. If you think you should have entered the sprint rather than the SS, then you're probably fit enough to go like "hot snot" (thanks conehead) and get a really good time.

This will be your PB, which you can then break at the next event.

Good luck!

JB
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Fantastic, you'll have the tuime of your life, and wonder why you didn;t do it earlier in the year / your life.

I've got my fourth of the year on Sunday, and can't wait, nervous, but excited as well. The added benefit with yours is that it a guaranteed PB.

Enjoy, and report back!
  • PC_67PC_67 Posts: 196
    Enjoy. Hope your bike doesn't get nicked.

OK, that was a disgraceful stereotyped attack on Liverpudlians. You're allowed a free shot back at an Irishman in return, I won't be offended.
  • IronABSIronABS Posts: 66
    Best of Luck - I'll be there too doing the Sprint - This will be my third tri, but first one with an open water swim and i cant wait to take on those jellyfish!!!!
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    Hi IronAbs, have you been to one of the training days at the albert dock??? i went to the first one and it was great. the jelly fish are not stinger apparently and i never even felt one, i think they tend to hang around the edges where the water is slightly warmer.

Good luck mate, this is my first one and my aim is sprints next...hopefully doing an OD this time next year at liverpool.....

Just got to get through this first one though....gulp
    I cant believe i'm so nervous about this....what if i forget something? what if i am last out of the water?? what if i get a puncture??? what if i pull a muscle??
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Bless you, andyb99, you'll have the time of your life.

Presumably you've made a list of things to take. At least then you shouldn't worry about forgetting something.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    It's completely natural mate! You got 'the fear' is all.

I was soooo nervous before my first (now a veteran of errr.. 2 ahem), but then I realised talking to people that everyone else was too. It's a bit of a cliche, but seriously the triathlete community is brilliant. The people around me in transition were great, everyone dead chatty and a bit of banter as well. By the time I got to the bike (swim bit of a disaster but made it out of the water), I had a huge grin on my face and it lasted till I crossed the line when it got even bigger!

Chances are you'll make a mistake, but you learn from it and probably laugh about it as well. In my haste I put my wetsuit on back to front initially and then when I finished I forgot to pack it!

You will love it. Conquer the fear, run your race and bloody enjoy it mate!
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Hi Andy,

Don't worry about it! Deep breaths - You;ve done loads of trainging and i bet on the day you'll be flying!! I barely got any sleep on the night before - kept on waking up thinking i'd slept through!!

I've so far done a grand total of one and it was great...even though...

Came flying into T2, fell off at the dismount line - had a little look around to make sure no one was looking (only about 300!!) dusted myslef off - then tried to start the run with my helmet and glasses still one!!

Suppose what i'm trying to say is - something will prob go wrong but it won't matter as you'll soon be a triathlete!!

I def won't do the same in T2 next week though!!
    Thanks guys, yeah i've got a list....i'm just gonna try and enjoy myself and stop thinking about all the millions of things that can go wrong...lol
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Dude you will be fine! let the nerves come and they will soon go.
    I was nerves as hell before my first and only so far tri.

a quick prayer to the tri gods the night before and a 53rd check of your kit and transition layout and you will be well sorted.

good luck and let us know how it goes. I feel the force is strong in yo u!
    really....thanks guys...i appreciate the encouragement....i'll post a full report on how it goes for me.
    Hi Andy

Dont get too nervous mate you'll be fine - i did go to the OW swim sessions at the docks i went on the first Sunday, the jellyfish weren't a problem really it was a bit of a shock when i first saw one up close but you get use to them and like you say they are harmless anyway.

Like i said earlier this is my third and before each one i've written myself a checklist so i won't forget anything i write it a week in advance and add to it through the week if i realise i'v eforgotton something, its pretty much tigh now. I'll also admit to my biggest fear being getting a puncture, i take a spare inner tube & tyre levers with me on the bike they dont add too much weight and give me peace of mind. The bike is my least enjoyable leg my theory is that with the swim & run there is only one thing that can go wrong and thats me, but with the bike there are so many outside influences, weather, road surfaces, mechanics.

The main thing is to relax and just enjoy the whole experience, i'm totally obssesed with triathlon now.

BTW my race no is 661 keep an eye out and best of luck
    heres the thing, it's only a 6.4 mile ride...so by the time i've replaced a tire its all over....should i really take a spare?? and pump etc???
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    i suppose if you're tyre goes after 1 mile you've got a 5 mile run then another 10K run....good luck and enjoy!
    do you mean i should take one ginger???
    Good point Andy, although the way i look at it is i'd rather finish last after a puncture than have a DNF
    Good point iron ABS.
    Good luck with the sprint today mate i'll look out for you.
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Can someone post a Report on the Liverpool Tri, I'd be interested to know what the vibe is as I'm tempted to do it next year!
    i'll do it...it was fuckin brill

i'll post a fresh report tomox...but i was 9th..in my age cat...and thats enough
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    andyb99 wrote:
    i'll do it...it was fuckin brill

i'll post a fresh report tomox...but i was 9th..in my age cat...and thats enough
    Cool! And very well done. Looking forward to the report. Plus photos of the Jelly Fish
    sorry about the swearing post there guys,,, had a couple to celebrate....