Home Chat General Chat

Anyone got a magic cure for painful IT Band.

tight/painfull it band.

Had a bit of a problem with it earlier in the year and went to a physio, given massage and physio to do at home. That seemed to help - although it might have been that i laid off the running.

Did an 8mile run on Tue and its back with a vengence - pain down the right hand side of the right thigh - it aches and feels almost like a bruise.

Didn't ice it which i would usually have done - which probably didn't help.

Any help much appreciated folks!!

Comments

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    i need this help too!

1st time I've had it... and it is concerning me!

am seeing a physio next week about it... manwhile... what do I do except not train on it?

(I'm at the LD day tomorrow and will be training there! Maybe not full on... getting my excuses in early!)

didds
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    Regular foam roller use eased mine quite a lot, though it hurts at the time!
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Yeah - foam roller is the best thing you can do, sort of seeing a sports therapist. Hurts though. Really.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Someone did suggest that to me - i dunno - i'll spend a small fortune on a bike and trying to scrimp on £15 quid for a roll.

On order...

Thanks.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    You could try a rolling pin

My Pilates instructor actually suggested that to a cyclist - but then she is evil
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    from what i understand, and i'm not a doc or a physio, a good solution is to do strengthening work and stretches for your groin, glutes, and hip.

single leg bridge lifts, 'clam' leg opening exercises, that sort of thing. i thought i might have a bit of itb in my knee itself so i've been adding these to a nightly stretching and joga-based core/balancing routines. so far it seems to be helping, but that doesn't mean it's right for everyone.
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    single leg bridge lifts, 'clam' leg opening exercises, that sort of thing.
    I was advised to do this by my physio and the guy who did my sports massage, simple thing to do and should help loads.
  • durhamvamdurhamvam Posts: 246
    The foam roller thing is great but makes grown men weep!

If you really don't want to spend the money then you can also use a well inflated rugby ball (my pilates instructor recommended that one) I think she mentioned that cricket balls also work but that's a bit hard core!
  • BootooBootoo Posts: 29
    I had this problem and it was linked to weak muscles around it and not enough stretching.

Once the worst of pain was over (helped by stretch and massage) I did glute & hamstring strengthing exercises and I haven't had any problems since (touching wood)
    When I first got it did try to traon through it but had to give up for a while in the end as it was getting worse.
    I still make sure I stretch as best I can now and it's a thing of the past