Home Chat General Chat

A good beginner 70.3?

See this thread for starters.

http://forum.220magazine.com/tm.asp?m=44847&mpage=1&key=little%2Cwoody&#44947

I'm thinking about Trentham Big Half for next year.

Comments

• gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Well this year I step up from Sprint to Olympic, so I guess next year will be a 70.3.

I had a look at the UK half Ironman site, but it claims to be the 'Toughest 70.3 course in the World!" and features 52 hills in 56 miles![&:]

Ouch!

Is there something less intimidating out there?
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    Thanks. I liked what Conehead had to say about doing an 'event'.

I like the sound of the M Dot races abroad but I guess all the costs will soon add up: flights, bike transport, accomodation...

Maybe I should be asking, What's the most accessible European 70.3 for a newbie?
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    A race abroad is out for me next year, unless I get any sudden windfalls!

2011, maybe. Ideally somewhere that can be combined with a short holiday for the family. An "event" race does sound good, one day!
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    I'm thinking of hopping across the channel - don't fancy a bike box and my bag of gear arriving in Australia instead of Austria!!!

Not sure how up to date this is but....

Austria ticks quite a few boxes for me!

It's a spreadsheet with (temp, climbs, humidity, etc etc)
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Whoops - that didn't come out right at all. If you send me your email - i'll send the excel sheet...

Just realised that your talking about 70.3 as well - this is for full ironman -

So pretty much ignore me!! [:D]
  • Yeah, im also interested in the most accessible european 70.3? Was thinking Wiesbaden or maybe Monacco? I think i would prefer the bike to be a little hilly.
  • I reckon that you should all bite the bullet and do the UK (Wimbleball) race. I did it last weekend and absolutley loved it and that was even with finishing 45 mins after I wanted after getting cramp (de-hydration) coming from the swim and a groin strain (old injury) on the run. The sense of achievement completing that bike course was something I will never forget and as long as you are sensible and don't go hell for leather from the start, is surprisingly managable.

The scenery in the area is also stunning!!
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    What were the crowds like? The impression you get is that a 70.3 in some other countries would be a huge event with a great atmosphere, but less so over here?
  • the crowds were there sporadically, but in good places. There were are large group at the top of the last major climb giving everyone encouragement which really helped and then because the run is a 3 lap course, you get a lot of encouragement from people in and arouond the finsihing area and on other sections.

There is also quite a lot of encouragement to be had from your fellow competitors, a surprisingly friendly, chatty atmosphere, I had many a conversation when biking and running (swimming not so much!!)
  • grant1974grant1974 Posts: 262
    Wimbleball is tough without a doubt, but certainly not unachievable, Wimbleball was my first 70.3 and I loved it, I did it slower than I hoped because the run was just so much harder than I gave it credit for. But knowing that, you should be fine. Plus I can now say I did toughest 70.3 on earth as my first race
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    When talking of hopping across the water have you thought of Ireland?
    http://www.triathlonireland-server.com/ ... ntCalendar

How about an Eireman 70.3
    http://www.eireman.org/home
  • moobsmoobs Posts: 14
    I upgraded to my first middle distance this year and chose UK 70.3, I figured if your gonna do it might as well do it with style. The bike and run course were awesome, the crowds were good and the organisation behind the event justifies the entry fee and puts other events to shame.
  • fatstufatstu Posts: 46
    I did Switzerland 70.3 which is in Rapperswill Jona near Zurich. It was my first 70.3 so nothing to compare it with but the crowd support from the town was absolutely awesome. Swim is in Lake Zurich - lovely flat, fresh water. Bike is very flat for half the course. It has some sharp hills on the other half but the locals realy turn up in force to support you up the 2 worst ones. The run is pretty flat but does have steps on it after 1k and 11k which was not a pleasant experience second time round. Organisation is excellent and it is a real picture postcard location. Officials in Zurich airport were not helpful to bike lugging passengers and the towns were very expensive for taxis and tri-kit so hire a car if you do go. Next one for me will be Singapore which I hear is also brilliant