Home Chat General Chat

Sympathy please....

Hi all,

I went out on my bike earlier with the intention of doing a timed 20k (I'm in training for my first sprint tri in September) and have been knocked off by a (sadly female) car driver who only passed her test on Tuesday. She was apparently reaching down for her mobile, to pass it to one of her 3 friends in the car with her, as she knew she shouldn't answer it herself! :roll:

She hit me from behind, square on the back wheel which threw me over the handlebars and down the road. The girl actually wet herself in shock, my bike is totalled, and I'm stiff but thankfully no major injuries apart from scrapes, bruises and a couple twinges in my shoulder. But I could certainly use a dose or two of sympathy... any offers?

Comments

• brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    oh sweetpea....you poor thing! here you go...sympathy, sympathy, sympathy

glad you're ok, shame about your bike....is she going to pay to replace it?
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    that's rough luck limeycat, good hear that you came out of it relatively unhurt.

i think the training manual for this sort of incident calls for cake and wine to calm nerves. once the nerves are calmed then some shopping for the replacement bike might help focus the mind on the race in september!
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Just think of the new bike on her insurance!
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Oh dear! I'd give you a big hug, but that would probably hurt too much

Don't let it put you off. I hope you managed to get her details and the insurance works out (you might need to let the police know, and perhaps visit the GP to get your injuries on record) so that you can get a nice shiny new bike.

It's worth reviewing things with a critcal eye to see if there is anything more that you could have done - route, high viz clothing etc. etc. There usually isn't, but going through the process can give you some confidence. Do you have a mate than you can go for a ride with? That might also help a bit.

Lots of sympathy - and get back out there - hopefully on a nicer bike. Your nearest and dearest probably also need a bit of sympathy too - as I expect that they will be worried about you a bit more now! Good luck.
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Really sorry to hear that LC. Hope you weren't too hurt and it doesn't stop you getting right back on when you get your brand new, shiny bike.
  • LimeycatLimeycat Posts: 29
    Thanks all, for the sympathy and the advice. Fortunately, some kind people who stopped just after it happened insisted on calling the police and ambulance, so it's all on record. The copper who brought me home confirmed that the driver is insured and that she'll prolly be prosecuted for driving without due care, not least since she admitted that she was picking her phone up. Oddly, I feel a bit sorry for her; she'd only passed her test 5 days previously, so I was far calmer than she was at the time!

Took Ris' advice on the wine last night, complemented by half a pack of cherry jaffa cakes (yes, I know it's a contradiction in terms!!). The bruises are coming out now and I'm very stiff and sore, but I've driven back to the spot this morning to take some photos and sit for a minute to contemplate how lucky I was. It could so easily have been my family and friends driving there to leave flowers!!!! Jack, you're absolutely right that they'll need sympathy - I haven't dared tell them yet, phone calls planned later on....

I'll post a couple of pics of the poor old bike later too, if I can work out how to reduce the file size...

Right, onwards and upwards - any recommendations what I should consider for a replacement bike? Budget only up to about £400 at the moment, tho could be more if I waited for the claim to go through!!!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Whilst I appreciate your sympathy for the newly qualified driver...I can't share, which I guess makes you the better person.
    For the life of me I cannot imagine why a new driver would even contemplate having their mobile switched on whilst in a car in the first few times out on your own, when you really need to be concentrating & even with a test pass you still have not got the hang of everything, furthermore unless she was speeding, how come she didn't see you before she hit you? Before she reached for her 'phone?
    Some will be the fault of the test system which I believe does not emphasise cycles & cycling enough, this I base on my own single & group ride experiences of abuse, aggression & dangerous driving, but the rest..down to the driver. I would consider that unwittingly you have provided her with a practical & long lasting lesson on how dangerous driving can be & that there are more people on the road than just car users.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Firstly - symnpathies of course. Glad to hear you are OK generally .

Secondly, I dunno what sort of deal you need on a bike BUT... do NOT accept £400! You will NOT (??) be able to get a replacement bike for that amount these days unless (could be) you ride a bit of a clunker (no rudeness intended .

Entry level bikes may have cost you £400 LAST year, but it will be a minimum of £500 THIS year.

didds
    further to what i said above... I see where the £400 comes in now. While you wait for the insurance etc.

Chat up the LBS - see if they can loan you a 2nd hand bike or whatever until your claim comes through. The worst they can say is no, and at the moment I wold hope they could see the benefits of keeping you interested in spending your insurance money at THEIR shop.

Meanwhile... are you 5' 10"ish per chance... i could have the bike for you !

didds
    Here's the aftermath.... poor old bike!
    [attachment=2:2oul8bzw]mangled1.jpg[/attachment:2oul8bzw][attachment=1:2oul8bzw]mangled2.jpg[/attachment:2oul8bzw]
    [attachment=0:2oul8bzw]mangled4.jpg[/attachment:2oul8bzw]
    Aftermath part 2
    Comedy throbbing thumb picture:
    [attachment=0:33vk6li7]mangled5.jpg[/attachment:33vk6li7]
    Can't show you my other bruises, would be done for indecent exposure!

@ Britspin - you're right of course; and I won't be so nice when it comes to the insurance claim! The girl's mother has rung me earlier; evidently she's pretty distraught and says she won't drive again. She may not get the chance tho - the copper did tell me she could get banned.

@ didds - thanks for the thought but I'm 5 foot and a fag end, so I'm afraid your bike would be a little oversize! Re your suggestion with the LBS: it's a good idea, but I only live about 20 miles from Bridgetown, so I think I'll toddle on down there for some advice before committing myself to spending elsewhere. If they're half as good as their reputation, I'm sure I'll be well looked after!
    BTW - I see you're doing the Derby sprint in Sept - that's my first Tri (assuming I've still got lives left!). Hopefully I'll be there on a spanky new steed!
    @ didds - thanks for the thought but I'm 5 foot and a fag end, so I'm afraid your bike would be a little oversize! Re your suggestion with the LBS: it's a good idea, but I only live about 20 miles from Bridgetown, so I think I'll toddle on down there for some advice before committing myself to spending elsewhere.
    Oh absolutely. By LBS I really meant wherever you may end up spending your dosh

As for Derby, I haven't splashed the cash yet but its deffo on the cards but may get altered for another Oly or even (if I am daft enough!) a very very late season 70.3 now I am fired up by Conehead's excellent LD rookie day!

didds
  • fatstufatstu Posts: 46
    Ouch Limeycat...

That bike looks terminal, I don't even think it will be fit for turbo use...