Home Chat General Chat

Aero bottle profile design

I,m sure there has been loads of talk on this subject but I have a few words of wisdom and a few questions.

I have discovered a way to stop getting the Powerade Shower from my aero bottle every time i go over a bump. Firstly on the new bottles there is a lid, which is almost as useless as the yellow squishy thing. But combine them and you get much better results. Basically shove the yellow thing sideways inside the bottle so it goes across the bottle, this should stop spray. I also use part of a swim cap stretched over the top of the bottle and underneath the lid, which holds it on, with a slit cut big enough to still fill up on the move. Results are good and a lot less sticky.

My question is that the elastic bands annoyingly don't keep the bottle in place so it shifts around between the bars. I am thinking of buying the mount, but would like to know if anyone firstly has a solution to elastic band movement and secondly if the mount is any good?

Please reply as your help could make a good idea into a great one thanks.

Comments

• BmanBman Posts: 442
    To be honest, I never even considered trying it without the mount. The mount works perfectly, with no movement of the bottle at all. Maybe wrap something like bartape or thin rubber around the aerobars where the bottle sits, just to make it a bit less mobile with the elastic bands. Wrt splash, I just took the yellow thing, uncoiled it complelety and then coiled it back up. It made it a bit bigger so squeezes into the bottle top nicely and you dont get any splashing at all.
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    first time out with my aero bottle was a very wet and sticky affair! The useless yellow scrunchy thing popped right out (even though i'd done the uncoil and recoil thing) and i got covered. Worse than that i had to stop and peddle back up the huge hill i was on to recover the useless yellow thing

In addition to that, i can't drink out of that bloody straw either!!! Its too wide, when i'm going for it and breathing heavy i dont have time to get any liquid in. Anyway else suffer this???

I wouldn't recommend the bottle to anyway.....its pants.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Are there any aero bottles that are any good? I reckon I could have saved two minutes today with a decent one.
  • CCSCCS Posts: 53
    How about using a camelbak instead?
    Ok, you do need to take one hand off for a little bit to grab the tube thingy - but I certainly find you can still keep up good speed while using one. I have always used one (perhaps from when I used to ride a MTB more) - and have a large one for the commute to work (so I can carry my laptop as well) and a little one for when I am just out for a ride and racing.
  • This bottle is good it just takes a bit of trial and error. I will get a mount I think, the fact that I have to keep stopping and readjusting the bottle with elastic bands makes £8 seem a small price to pay. I think profile should sell the bottle withsmesort of gauze or mesh and tell people not to put the yellow thing in the top but inside the bottle sideways.
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    For races the rubber band solution is zip ties - three thin ones x2 hold it snug as a bug - just don't zip tie your gear change cables if they come out of your aero bars near the bottle! Took me three goes to avoid this at HIM - well it was 4am and I was half asleep!!

As to the top I find filling it to 500ml avoids a significant amount of the damp legs but I agree you still get splash even with the new top....good thing though is on longer races you can just refil it with water and pop a nuun tab through the top
    I.
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Used my aerobottle for the ist time this weekend at Henley. Elastic bands not the best fixing methds, Gatorade down my legs and all over the bike, had difficulty actually using it. However, purchased a fixing bracket from the TriUK stabd, so hopefully that will improve it's solidity. Also, kept reading on the forum people saying 'don't try anything new on race day that you haven't already tried in training', so now I know what they mean. I'll make sure I train with it, and know how to secure and use it. however, first race with aerobars, and a revelation.
  • timtim Posts: 43
    Used this bottle twice (once water once Gatorade), i think its great, however after yesterdays (gatorade) ride i have decided water is the way to go, if that splashes i'll survive, being sticky and making the bike sticky is not so much fun, so no Gatorade!

the bands seem to do the job, but i do find it rattles, does the mount stop the rattling? cause that may be worthwhile

cheers
    Tim
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Are you guys using it with Profile bars? I have Profile Century bars, which it is supposed to be designed to fit without a fixing kit?
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I'm using it with Profile T2+ bars, so it's not a perfect fit, and the bands / fixing bracket is requried.
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    I got the bottle and the mounting kit at the same time so have no experience of the elastic bands. In my experience the mounting kit holds the bottle well in place (I use Profile T2+ aero bars).

Once I'd trimmed the straw to the right length (after a couple of goes on the turbo and then a fine tweaking session on the road) I've got it working quite well. I find having the bottle in front of you face reminds / forces you to drink more frequently and the only thing I've had to get used to is getting the straw in to my mouth while in the aero position.

The big bonus for me is that you don't have to take your eyes off the road or hands off the bars to get a drink so can keep concetrating on riding.