Home Chat General Chat

Is the Forum dying?

It seems that the forum is ill. For there is a serious lack of posts and little sign of the folk who made it what it was. I may have been a stranger for a few weeks but i think it would be a real shame if we lost what is (was) a brilliant online community and one that i got a huge amount of enjoyment from.

Comments

• fatstufatstu Posts: 46
    I think the system hassles over the last few days have put some off for a while along with not being able to navigate as well as they could before (think it will be okay when they get used to it). Hopefully everyone will be back soon, I need to read more race reports...
  • I got really fed up. I couldnt post anything as I had to log in all the time. Even then when I went to write something I was always logged out again! Now got a change of password and it seems ok. But how can I change my password???? :roll:
  • It's probably because the new form is crap! Why fix something that isn't broken?! :roll:
  • MrSquishyMrSquishy Posts: 277
    swimlikeabrick wrote:
    Why fix something that isn't broken?! :roll:
    What boggles me is, there didn't seem to be any forewarming that it was coming or the reasons why a new forum was required. As such we seem to be beta testing the new forum while they iron out all the problems and it doews seem to have had a negative impact on the amount of traffic.

Apart from the excessive spam issue I had no beef with the old forum and other than the "Go to first unread post" thingy and everything being blue instead of yellow, don't see much difference.

AND... all my stars have gone, I worked hard for those!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I hope not as it is a friendly and informative one. I may do searches elswhere but I was always ask a question here as even though it may have been asked before you don't get a vicious putdown like they do in other forums which can also seem to give the impression that if you are not part of the clique you will not get an answer

So I hope to see some of you chaps and chapesses for the first time at the South Cerney and will be wearing my 220 Forum Buddies T shirt with pride - thanks Gary - good job
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    This board software is potentially better than the old one. I go on a football forum which uses the same board.

Hopefully 220 can iron out the glitches.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I was waiting for someone to notice I was missing before posting. Ho hum.

Reserving judgment on the software... Not liking it much - but most of that is probably because it is different. However, I do mainly use a nice little Asus EEE Dog Proof Netbook. It doesn't have a lot of screen space - and the new software just does not fit as well. It's hard to see what is there and get a feel for things. Also, I've not got it to tell me the threads that are unread. So can't see the wood for the trees.

But! I've not really got any questions, and feel all answered out. I can't really get on with anything tri related while I'm waiting for this pesky op. I'm feeling a little emotionally bruised by the whole thing - a little bit of me is going "waahh - it's not fair, all I wanted to do was get fit and have a bit of fun, and all I've got is 6 months of pain and now having to go into hospital for an operation with general anaesthetic for the first time since I was a kid".

So, instead of posting on the forum, I'm spending all my spare time throwing stones at the fatties. It's childish, but makes me feel better.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    A simple answer.

Yes - this change will be the end of the forum as we know it.

Why change it ? - All that was needed was a person to delete the spamming twats who posted their crap adverts. Now we have to put up with this.

Awful.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I don't think it dying, I have noted ticed the serious lack of threads but I'm certain that its down to the logon issues.

Its natural that we are resistant to changes, its human nature by definition. We all have the routine and comfort zones and when we're forced out of it then we resist.

I'm not a web expert or a programmer so I don't know the ins/out of it but I like the new forum. I would like to see the stars back though. Hopefully as the weeks progress thinkgs will be tweaked. What we do know is that 220 are monitoring the forum so they are getting the thoughts of everyone.

why don't we start a thread of the changes/ things we would like on the forum.... we are the only ones who can make it better.

S11
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Hope not - now i've got a bit used to it - i quite like it....

Would like to be able to quote though.

Really like the view most recent post option

I tried 5 times on the last forum to put a profile pic on and just couldn't do it - took 2 mins on this one.

Come in everyone - the waters lovely
    A quote button would be really useful. h board software should support it, the admins just need to activate it I think!
    And an edit posts button.
    Jules wrote:
    A quote button would be really useful. h board software should support it, the admins just need to activate it I think!
    Well, the quote function has been enabled.
    The display of threads with unread posts is there..

But so is some spam!
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    Maybe I'm lucky,but I only have one issue with the forum. If I go to the 220 home page I get logged out of the forum. Solution: don't visit the 220 homepage.

As conehead said stick with it. Aren't we mean to be triathletes, we don't quit when when the going gets tough! Just think of it as the final km of the run, it's painful and seems to take but when you get that post done it will be a great feeling.
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    Think it's fair to say that we all have some gripes with the new forum, but the same folk are on here and it'll come back together I'm sure. Why? Because whether it's advice we want, help, news or just a bit of entertainment, we get it all here. It's the people who make this forum, not the software.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    At last I made it!

EVERYBODY IS SLOWLY COMING BACK HOME....... EVEN THE SPAMMERS.........

GOOD TO SEE FOLKS BACK.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    well, I go along with Conehead really... its a case of HTFU and get on with it as is.

It IS a shame though that with the changes made it still doesn;t seem to prevent the spamming, whether totally obvious or (being kind) obviously through lack of a braincell or two and posting in the wrong forum...

didds
    What I would say is that the spammer obv registered on the sunday as I checked his detailed and it mentioed joined on the 21/06.

Perhaps there are no admin looking at the forum. This brings me to my next point, I was under the impression that some of us would be granted additional rights..... anyone get these?
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    he spammer obv registered on the sunday
    as an example though and depending on how the cloick works on the forum, Sunday 21st when it begins in New Zealand is still sat 20th in the UK.

didds
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Perhaps there are no admin looking at the forum. This brings me to my next point, I was under the impression that some of us would be granted additional rights..... anyone get these?
    I spoke to james (the editor) before the new site was launched - he said that if the spam was not sorted by the new site - then we would get admin rights - (i think it's been promised before but i'll give it a couple of days and then chase him up.....)
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I hope it's not dead. It's just having a period of rest before it comes back bigger and stronger. We all just need to make a concerted effort to kick it back into full swing
    gdh250467 wrote:
    I hope it's not dead. It's just having a period of rest before it comes back bigger and stronger. We all just need to make a concerted effort to kick it back into full swing
    I'm kicking it!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    I think it's slowly coming back to life. Lots of new posts this morning when I logged in at work, some good race reports to read so many posts that I'm going to have to take a 'work break' and come back later.

Good job everyone!
  • julesojuleso Posts: 279
    Forum, please don't die! What would I do with my working day?
    Oh, I don't know, work maybe.
  • Cheryl6162Cheryl6162 Posts: 356
    thats a ridiculous idea GDH and far too extreme for my liking!

And I'm back too now that the login logout things is sorted!!
    Aplogies. I banish those thoughts in future!
  • RockieRockie Posts: 40
    It's not dying, just tapering.
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    Hi Folks, back up to date with the posts.

I went away and came back and all had changed, took me a day to sort the login issues out, and another 2 days to read all the missed posts.

Not keen on the new layout, but they say change is a good thing - I will reserve my judgment, they did it to FB and people have eventually got used to it, so I dare say the same will happen here.

Hope you are all well, and enjoying the summers racing, about 4 weeks to my next sprint at Hatfield, once again 220 T-Shirt will be on display.