Home Chat General Chat

I'm now a triathlete....

Again this is where I big up the legend Conehead.

Had my first OW sprint tri today. It was a blast. Didn't do particulary well for various reasons but eventually finished it. Unsure of time yet but circa 1hr 35m.

I had only just my fourth sprint last Sunday and was focused on this one and wanted to do well. I joined the tri club on Thursday and I definently pushed myself too far cause I was sore and stiff right up to today. Coupled with being sick this morning I was contemplating a DNS but I don't ever quit. Arrived got registered and my nerves were killing me..... just to make it plain I have never been in a wetsuit or the OW prior. I had planned a few training sessions but the river was in spay and never made it.

I got the shock of my tri-life today when I stepped in that water. The water was freeeeezzing, coupled with the restrictive movement of the suit and my asthma (which kicked in very quickly and there was nothing I could do about it) its safe to say that I struggled in the swim. I think I came out the water at around the 16-17m mark but can't be sure. I tried to keep the head in the water and work the front crawl but my Zoggs, which have never leaked before decided that they wanted a drink and leaked like a seive. The most amazing sight was the guy who was in the swim class above me, he blatantly couldn't sight properly and swum in a diagnol (in the wrong direction) towards the bank and swum into a tree branch. Priceless. I was stopped to dewater my goggles and saw it. Legendary.

I got out the water and I remember being told to kick like mad before so that I wouldn't be disoreintated.Nobody told the guy next to me that, he fell flat on his face and into the sand bank. I didn't laugh cause I was really gasping for my inhaler. I had signalled to the wingman(wife) that I needed and she met me as I ran up to T1.

Got on the bike and off I went on the bike leg. At this point I'm really starting to labour and I realised that the work done at the tri club has been to my disadvantage now. It was very hilly and hard. It was was one of the hardest bike legs I've done and aprt for being overtaken a few times it was pretty uneventful. Excpet the marshall telling me to slow down as I chased them that had overtaken me. I was determined not to be shown up and Claudia (my bike ) served me well when I nailed them and never saw them again.

Things started to go wrong for me on the run as I had left the inhaler in the saddle bag and I was in for a full blown attack at this point. At this point I have to bigup the guy hwo kindly gave me his inhaler while running aside me as I have no doubt in my mind that had he not been there then I would have been sitting in a hospital right now.

All in all a ver hard tri but still loved it and lessons to be learned are more experience with the wetsuit and don't forget the inhaler.....

PS has anybody noticed how hard it is to write a long thread.The oPage jumps about like a maddy when you get so far.... apologies if the spelling is bad..

Comments

• fatstufatstu Posts: 46
    Great job S11...

Sounds like lots of inhaler related learnings for future tri's. I'm in awe of people who manage tri's through stuff like asthma - I feel like I contract it every time I come out of T2 and I don't even get it...
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    wow you have come over lots for this race! congrats... i also admire peeps who can do tris with asthma...good report tho...
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    i found the post jumping all over the place too....maybe i just write to much
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    Well done, cracking job getting through it.

I was really glad that I'd done an OW at heron before my first sprint. When I went in at the lake everything just closed up. The best thing to do is get the wetsuit on and walk around a bit, pop into the water if oyu can, then take your inhaler just before the start as the suit constriction and cold always make the asthma worse.

Congrats on finishing!

JB
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    loved it
    Nice one mate, you summed it up yourself. You loved it!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Asthama was problem but got through it ok. Feel rough as hell now.

However, I'm away on holiday in 8 hours so you won't hear from me for 5 days. Planning to go to the velodrome when I get back.

Can't wait.

I should've taken my steriod pills but I don't quit. I need to be taken away strapped to a bed before I'd quit.

I would say to anyone, never let it hold you back cause I've never used it as an excuse.
  • YeppahYeppah Posts: 15
    Hi all!

I am new to this forum (been hanging around as a guest for a while).
    Must say: Great job for finishing!

Hoping that I´ll do as well in my first sprint - only three weeks from now.
    I´m very nervous about the swim as I´ve got asthma as well - and the water in the lakes of Sweden (where I live) are pretty cold even in the middle of july. I have been practising a bit OW swimming but no way near enough i´m afraid. Haven´t got a wetsuit yet...
    Must remember to bring the inhaler on the run! That´s an important one!
    Hmmm, perhaps put a second inhaler in the running shoes?
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I'm impresse. With how you guys do it. I have enough trouble remembering the standard kit without the added pressure if medication as well. Respect!
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i'm not surprised the asthma flared up in cold water, but you deserve great credit for not quitting. i'd rather walk an event wheezing my head off than give up and it looks like you are the same.maybe bung a spare inhaler into your running shoes so that you carry it on the run next time.

sounds like the bike route was a tough one, marshalls telling you to slow down?! madness... this sport is all about the speed!

great report, and great that you loved it. congrats, if you are on holiday now then i think you have earned it.
  • RockieRockie Posts: 40
    I thought the same thing. Why on earth would a marshal tell you to slow down?
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    I concur with the above, well done in digging in and finishing - I tend to have similar problems with breathing brought on by my hayfever, fortunately it normally only lasts for the period of June, but I know how much of a horrible feeling not being able to get your breath feels like, for anyone with full blown Asthma to complete a Tri is such an achievement in itself.

Well done.