Home Chat General Chat

Am I a triathlete now??

well guys, i know it was only a supersprint but everybody has got to start somewhere right? and i started yesterday at the first Liverpool Triathlon.

First off i want to say it was brilliantly organised event, there were loads of race officials around to help and signposts everywhere..never once did i see anybody panicking not knowing where to go or what to do...well done....although not once single portaloo had loo roll.

Once i got into my wetsuit and reported to the swim brief i realised everybody there (almost) was a beginner just like me so my nerves settled a bit...we got into the water and MY GOD it was cold...the klaxon went and i started way too quick trying to keep up...i settled in once i'd caught my breath and overtook two people and didn't get passed so all in all i was pleased....the run (walk) to transition was agony on my ice blocks...i mean feet... so i definitely lost about 2-3 minutes here but i was just glad to get the swim over with.

I ran out of transition with the bike and promptly got cramp at the mount point in my left leg....not too bad and i managed to stretch it out within a minute or so....i just tried to relax on the bike and keep a steady pace....i over took a few people and was passed by a few others...it went really quick...nice a flat mostly and i really enjoyed this part.....back into transition onto the run

OMG my legs wont work...whats up with em??? took me probably 1k of the 2.5k run to make em go...BUT...i didn't walk once..and I'm chuffed with that cause i'm a long way from being a great runner....again a nice flat course with clear signs for the SS turn point...i was passed a couple of times but caught them up once my legs were working and they were walking...lol...went around the arena, up a little hill to come down into the finish and the cheering crowds...absolutely amazing feeling and i'd done it.

I know it was only a short one but if i'd have attempted a sprint i would have struggled on the run..but i'll build up to that and train some more cause i'm hooked now.

I was so nervous and excited and it was a great experience, everybody was very nice, very supportive and it made a difference. Liverpool is a great triathlon in a fantastic setting and well worth putting on your calendar

Supersprint or not, i'd like to call myself a triathlete now......Can I?

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    andyb99 wrote:

Supersprint or not, i'd like to call myself a triathlete now......Can I?
    Absolutely - well done
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Most definitely mate, well done and good report!

How do you feel now? Any different? Keep up the good work and set your sights on the next one!
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Don'tput yourself down with the 'I know it was only a short one'. Size doesn't matter. Some of us are built for speed, whereas others for endurance. I think you need to do both to find truly find out what you;re suited to. I;ve only done sprints so far, but hopeing to complete an OD this weekend, so I'll have some idea. If it's the longer distance, then who knows whats next.

You've completed it, and that fantatsic.
  • maltesermalteser Posts: 25
    congratulations,

I just did my first sprint last week and as you should be am quite proud to call myself a triathlete now. Like you I'm also hooked and am looking forward to doing many more events ... as yu say, we've all gotta start somewhere ... as long as you're on the road you're a deserving triathlete ... keep it going and enjoy!
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    Thanks Guys,
    yeah Flava i do feel differently, i knew i would enjoy it but i didnt realise how much of a buzz it would give me to think back on it....i am going to enter the NW tri which is in september so it will give me something to keep training for and hopefully now i know what to expect i'll be able to put in more effort to get better times.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    You.
    Are.
    A.
    Triathlete.

didds
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Dude!
    You are defo a triathlete now!
    Go outside now and tell the world loud and proud, I am a triathlete and I love it...................................................................................................................................................................Pause while I wait for you to come back in. CDont ever think its only a super sprint cause we all started some where and I do beleive that a super sprint is listed as a triathlon.

Good on you mate and get another booked in quick.

well done