Home Chat General Chat

Henley Sprint - done & dusted

well...done at least

when packing last night...had a panic attack and realised that i'd left my trainers at work...so at 10pm off i head on my bike to work...nice 20k round trip! well i tried to take it slow...just can't find a slow button when on my bike...

swim was good....well i did a better time by about 2 mins so was well chuffed...but i have to say, i thought the organisation for the swim was not very good at all...there were only 4 lanes so you had to do 4 lengths in each lane and basically it was a free for all....quite a few times i had to stop or try and swim around 3/4 bods and it was wasn't fluent at all!

the transition was just outside and got outta there in a min so was pleased with that...tested out my new tri shoes and did the rubber band on bike thing..do think it helped me...cycle just wasn't up to standard for me and it took ages for my legs to get moving! i knew from then on in it was going to be tuff (I just don't understand why)

it took me about 1.5 laps (run is 4 laps) to get moving and even then i wasn't up to my normal form... so overall i was a little disappointed but comparing it to my last tri...it wasn't as bad as i thought...

swim 8.43 (400m)
t1 1min
cycle & t2 58.49 (my stupid watch stopped so didn't get to record proper times)
run 29.16
47 in womans overall

did wear by 220 t but didn't see anyone...hope you all had a great day

Comments

• JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    Well done Brizzi, excellent effort. Shame the swim was a bit poorly organised.

JB
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    47 in womans overall
    Well done brizzi! Sounds like a great result. Pleased to hear you tackled the 'shoes clipped in'..... definitely the way to go
  • I did the fun Tri at Henley. It was my first and I loved it! I liked the swim and the way it was done, but I only had to swim 2 lengths in each lane. Overall a nice atmosphere and a great day. Not sure of my times as they never got put up
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    the results should be on the website tomorrow cantdo....yeh it was very friendly...that's the great thing about tri's....
  • MintyMatMintyMat Posts: 98
    Brilliant Stuff Brizzi. I looked out for you and the others but didn't see any forumites. Although I haven't got a tshirt!

All my fears about wearing number 1 weren't realised and I think I was only overtaken twice in the pool.

I agree the whole thing appeared disorganised. I had a chat to an experienced guy afterward and he said that it was shocking in the pool. Going out first was a real blessing. I think they could have done a lot more generally to help people feels at ease. It had 2 transition areas, which was difficult and little information around, leaving lots of people confused.

Despite all that I was delighted! All sections seemed to go well except cramp in my legs comin off the bike and beginning the run but kept up 7.30 min miles, so was happy. Completed it in 1.27.30. Haven't a clue what my splits were though as I pressed the wrong button on the Garmin! Looking forward to the results.
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I too did this event, and can honestly say that I'll be crossing it off the 'Must do next year' list.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoed the event at a Tri, but not the organisation, or running of it. A few issus marred it for me:
    - T1 and T2 were in deifferent places, so when you're new to this thing (it's only my fourth event) any knowledge of setting out transition area goes out the window, as you now have to separate T1 kit and T2 kit, together with whats needed for the end of the event, and set them up in different areas. It also means it two locations you need to remember in the ehat of battle.
    - the swim was in probably the narrowest pool i've ever seen. It was a 16 length race, having to do four lengths then dip under the rope, four more lengths, until you'd done 16 lengths in the 4 lanes. However, it seemed that the lanes were hardly wide enough to allow two people to pass without touching, only made worse when some were trying to overtake slower swimmers. At the moment I was told to go, I had three people just pushed off in front of me and two strokes into my length I was face-t0-arse with a queue of swimmers, and it didn't get any better. Slowest swim leg so far.
    - onto T1, which was particularly small, and held a maximum of 60 bikes, so congested. This congesttion was made worse, in that when you were running from pool to T1, you not only had to navigate others doing the same, but new competitors trying to set up their transition around you, adding to the congestion. But to add insult to injury, you also had Marshalls clearing and pakcing discared swimming detritus for transporting to T2 for collection on completion.
    - the bike start seemed to be on the wrong side of the road, facing the oncoming traffic, not that there was a lot, but not the best
    - first corner of the bike, and you're onto a mainish road. There was a specific Triathlon parking field, which only cost £3, and the money went to charity. However, this road was solid on one side with cars parked on the verge, so you were riding down the middle of the road, trying to avoid pedestrians, dog walkers, car doors, cars being parked, with your right elbow almost scraping the oncoming traffic, and there was no chance of passing anyone.
    - bike course was generally OK, but roads could have been smoother, and it looks they had recently been bitmaced and gravelled, so cautionwas the name of the game
    - last km into T2 was uphill in narrow lane, so no chance to 'spin' the legs ready for the run, instead you entered T2 with your legs burning. Also, ride through the school form the road to T2 seemed tight and twisty, with pedestrians walking in the cycle lane.
    - run was OK'ish, but a little twisty around the perimeter of the field, so dificult to maintain a good pace.

However, as a plus point, general vibe was of a relaxed and enjoyable day, didn't post a fantastic time, but provisinal results were sub 1:30, an a top 100 finish. But I won't be back next year to see of I can beat it.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I agree with what everyone said here - the pool was shocking , i got lucky in that twhen i started there was no one in front of me, however the 2 guys starting before me were set off just as someone else kicked off the wall for their 3 length in the lane so their starts were effected. Plus it was tiny, so narrow. i agree with the comments about the lane into T2 there were people in there and although the marshalls were blowing a whistle - they hadn't told anyone what that meant so pedestrians and children were in my way (i managed to avoid them though). The run was ok and I am glad that it was dry of it would have been a nightmare of a cross country type race. Had a small problem with a back spasm which meant i had to walk to ease it out but then finished very strong and should have started my kick further out. Oh and the guy announcing the finishers missed me as i crossed the line and didn't spot me until i had a gatprade and had been finished for about 30 seconds. i hope he wasn't recording the times...which brings me nicely onto my other point - no chip timing. Why????

All in all, I won't be back, even though i managed (on my watch) 1:28:04 the official time was some 40 seconds slower - i am certain that i didn't loose 40 seconds along the way - particularly as i didn't hit the lap button so couldn't have stopped the timed in either T1 or T2. My splits from checking the time were 8:08 swim, ~54 bike, and ~24 on the run, plus about 1min each in T1 and T2.

Well done to all who competed - its a shame i didn't see anyone else in their Forum T - i had mine before and after the race, although i was in a lot of pain after so left pretty sharpish.
    Oh, and I was 95th it seems - top 100 isn't bad.
    Just read the reuslts, and seem to have been bumped down from what was published yesterday at the event, still in top 120, so pleased.
  • Error whilst Doing a Replacement, Error in srv_convert.
  • MintyMatMintyMat Posts: 98
    The results are up: http://www.fun2tri.co.uk/Henley-new/results.htm

Really chuffed that I came 81st in my first attempt. Loads of room for improvement and I've lots of plans to shave off time, especially in transition. I hadn't considered how difficult a wet cycle top with a number attached would be to put on. Bought a tri top now.

Anyone else think that a few of the results look a bit weird? I reckon several people didn't swim the right number of lengths and/or ran a lap or 2 short on the run. Doesn't quite add up.

I only wish they'd done the chip timing. I would have loved to have known the stats exactly for each discipline and transition. They should also break the results down into age groups and disciplines.
  • Im SpartacusIm Spartacus Posts: 204
    I too thought the swim was a farce, utter lunacy. However enjoyed the bike route and the run route was ok, not the biggest fan of laps but thats just me.

The marshalls were fantastic really encouraging especially the guy at the start / finnish of the bike route.

Overall enjoyed the race the 2 transitions didn't bother me that much, but there did seem loads of people milling about in them. Did ok, a poor run let me down but nothing new there :roll: 119th. Good atmosphere all round, but the swim put a big downer on it for me.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    sounds like everyone who completed this deserved a medal for having put up with the madness of the swim section and 2 different transition areas! changing lane seems insane, i could imagine that the organisers thought they would have a steady throughput of swimmers but it would only take one or two slow ones to knacker it up.

what's wrong with 4 to a lane in 10-15min spaced waves?

congrats to everyone who faced the adversity and crossed the finish line!
    It's due to too many entrants. Approximately 800 entered, so 2 per lane in 4 lanes, that's 100 waves. If you went off at 15 minute intervals it would take 25 hours.

Mind you, I think I woul dhave preferred a 2 am start and a ride and run in the dark than the swim in the pool. But it was run on the longest day, so there might have been enough light anyway. Have to email the organisers for next year.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    This sounds very similar to the Stratford event run by the same organisation..the swim is quite often carnage, I was blocked & ended up walking in the shallow end due to 3 blokes seemingly just standing around...no idea what they were doing.
    That's quite interesting that you should say that Britspin, as the starter at the pool was not looking at the pool and was just concentrating at getting people int he water and going when they said go. the 2 guys in front of me 9and probably numerous others) were started right as someone else was kicking off the wall - one of them had to swim around a breast stroker who cut right across in front of him at the start. Aside from the pool it was a good day out, and as my back has stopped hurting after a nice gentle swim and time spent laying on the sofa last night i am happier with the whole day (and my result).
    P.S - anyone know when the photos are going to be available to see?

*i haven't found an 'edit' button
    I too had them kicking off in fornt of me just as I was given to 'go'.

I've now had a good look at the results, analysed mine in comparison with the top 10 (I'm anal about stats) and my previous races, and I came in 2:57 under my predicted time based on previous performances, my bike time was only +19% on top of the average for the Top 10. Given that all three legs weren't ideal, they can explain away why I didn't do as well as I probably could hav done. It was also my first event with my wingmen (wife and daughter), so had to fly solo, had a 2 1/2 hour drive to get there, to pre-race feed was an issue.

In hindsight, it was a good day, but I don't think I'll do it again. Onwards and upwards, open water event next, so expect further complaints over the weekend about, punhcing, kicking and general hair pulling!
    md6, the photos are up, just follow the link from the website. Be warned though, half of mine seem to be of someone else, who unfortunately looks like he's a batter runner than I am.
    Cheers GDH, surprisingly i look quite good on the run, what number were you? I was 120, just in case anyone wants to see how great my aero position was on the bike (ha)
    I was 206, just keep the laughs down when you look.

It's amazing how they always seemed to have taken the phot when my feet are on the floor, no long strides, good kickback etc, or maybe that's my style, must video myself one day just to see (and the swim, and bike, and transition)
    they're not bad, at least you look like you're moving - although that was a quick change into the cap and sunnies on the run it's funny how sometimes they just lump the unidentifieds in with someone else - i had that at crystal palace last month, just some random bloke in the photos. Doesn't really matter, i wasn't buying them anyway