Home Chat General Chat

Big thanks to the Long Distance Rookies

diddsdidds Posts: 655
And thanks to you too Conehead. Great day, very enjoyable, and - I can't stress this enough - great input from someone that has been there, done that, but not lost touch with where the majority of AGers come from and especially fat useless ones . Conehead refreshingly expounds the courage of his own convictions to promote a training ethos that is in stark contrast to the pre-scheduled, generalised patterns that potentially dominate our sport - and it makes PERFECT sense. In fact, personally, I think it is a perfect companion to TTTB because (at least for me) Conehead has filled in the blank that Joe Friel left out

But that's enough pomposity - if you are even considering doing Half or Full distance at ANY time, and can do already manage (say) a 1500m swim and an hour on a bike then get yourself on next April's course. And if you aren't quite there with the swim/bike then you have 10 months to get there... so what are you waiting for?! You will NOT regret it!

cheers!

Didds

Comments

• han382han382 Posts: 80
    Blimey-just took about half a hour to log on!

Had to do it though to thank Darren for such a top day. You said your main effort was to give us confidence as well as knowledge, but I think you might have over done it as now thinking of doing a 70.3 this year and full IM next season.

Great to meet a few of the guys from the forum as well-good luck Ewan and Craig with the UK IM in 6 weeks-and Dids for the OD you've got soon.

Finally-my son (he's 2) did not like the compression socks I still had on when I got home at all-but my calfs definately did!-thanks again, Simon.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    I am definately interested in this next year.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Can't wait for this boy to come to Scotland. I'm hoping that I can get to Aug but the drive there and back is horrendous.

As I'm hoping, I hope conehead brings it to Scotland.... I'd be first there. Could've done with his advice today.....
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Can we sign up for next years now? I'm itching to do a half IM next year possibly UK but preferably Austria in May... Haven't mentioned it to the misses yet though. Hmmm.

Do you training days cover WAT?
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Yeah. Having a date for next year to pencil in the diary would be great, and save any clashes which unfotunately prevented me attending any Rookie sessions this year.

I'm hopefuly steeping up to an OD this weekend, a half marathon in October, ful Marathon March/April 2010, and then either Half IM or IM next year, ot what the hell, both. So a session earlier in the year to give some time to take on board the advice would be great.
    Does VAT apply though?

No, serioulsy. I don't think anyone has an grumbles about the price, and I've onky ever read positive feedback about the sessions, it's just other comitments always seemed to clash with this years sessions. See you next year though!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749

Also on all training days you get more kit than the day costs

Already signed up for rookie day 2 in July and will be all over the long distance day as soon as the dates are released.

Nice one!
  • Thank you conehead for a fantastic day!

I know it's been said before but I cannot recommend these days highly enough.

The plan was to do a full distance swim, and although we didn't quite have time to go through the full distance the experience of doing 4/5ths the swim and still feeling comfortable was a great confidence booster and valuable learning experience. I discovered that I REALLY need to improve my sighting and steering otherwise I'm going to be swimming twice as far as necessary, but I practiced Rick's "turtle-ing" technique in the pool this eve which should make a drastic improvement.

After the swim strait onto the turbos for an hour and a half to chat with each other and have our bike positioning looked at, followed by a spin on the road working on bike handling and a mini time trial.

In the afternoon our chat about the ins and outs of long distance was a real eye opener, and everything the others have said is spot on!

Finally it was a great opportunity to put names to faces from the forum – great to meet you guys and I look forward to reading about your future exploits!

Conehead, will email properly you in a few days once work settles down a bit and I have a few more minutes to collect my thoughts.
  • p.s. to those guys at the LD rookie day, after bragging to you all about how I had never had a puncture out on the road I went for (what was supposed to be) a full distance ride on Sunday when karma caught up with me!

First my speedo went completely kaput so all I had was cadence,
    Then I got lost and added an extra 30k to my ride,
    Next I threw 2 water bottles full of lucozade out of my behind saddle cage (just as the cone said I would) only thing was I didn’t notice till I needed a some fuel and reached behind only to find I was out of energy drink – with 3 hours left to ride!
    Finally at about 150k google maps directed me down a road that suddenly deteriorated into a gravel track giving me an instant puncture which it took me 30 minutes sat in the rain to fix!

Suddenly my planned 6 hours on the bike was more like 8! Serves me right for boasting about my previous good fortune, but I guess it’s good preparation for race day when anything can go wrong!
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    ahhh.. but was it front or rear wheel Ewan?

didds
  • han382han382 Posts: 80
    That sounds like a nightmare Ewan-and v funny that you had your bottles catapult out after the discussion with Conehead! Good luck with the big Cow on the weekend-at least you know you're ride can't be worse than the one you've already done-you know what they say about rubbish rehearsals and great performances!
  • didds - Thankfully it was the front wheel... God knows what I'd have done if it had been my back wheel - smashed the bike to pieces in a fit of rage probably [note to self- practice changing rear tyre!]!

Si - I know re the bottles... conehead's predictions came true within 24 hours! I take it as evidence of his prophetic abilities. Shame I had to loose the lovely new water bottle he gave us though
    I'm sure that once he's read this, he'll email you another one!!!
  • WannabetriWannabetri Posts: 219
    Tee hee. Ewan that is just bloody brilliant.

I don't need to add anything on to what has already been said. Just get it booked and do it. It's a bloody good day for those of you even 'thinking' of doing middle distance or longer.

I am off to bike the IMUK course this weekend and will be trying a few bits and pieces from the coaching day to see if I will stick or change!
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Just get it booked and do it. It's a bloody good day for those of you even 'thinking' of doing middle distance or longer.

but be warned.

you'll do the day and then HAVE to do the Half/Full. You WILL fall into Conehead's trap of filling the starting lineups of long races throughout the word to aid his gobal domination from his secret island!!

Didds (99.99999999% going to do Austria 70.32010 now!)