Home Chat General Chat

Pool Allergies

Hi all, just wondering whether any of you have any problems with allergies to the chlorine in the swimming pool.

My Father is just getting into the swimming in a fairly enthusiastic manner, he usually swims in the evening session but often afterwards he suffers from a streaming nose and eyes and sometimes slightly itchy skin when he’s in bed that night. I’m guessing it’s a reaction to the chemicals they use in the pool but I wonder whether anyone has similar problems and whether you know of a solution?

I wonder about suggesting he tries anti hay fever tablets - do you recon these would help at all?

Comments

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    given its the evening session there may be an element of "human added chemicals" to the water too which may not be helping him.... :-(

didds
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    There have been lots of threads in this in past.. so If memory serves me correctly, people found a lot of benefits from wearing a nose clip. It's also a pretty common problem!

There are low/zero chlorine pools, but these are few and far between.

But I think the nose clip seemed to be by far the best solution.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Dumb questions I am sure, but I assume he is wearing goggles & showers thoroughly as soon as he is out of the pool?
    Non drowsy hayfever tabs may help (larotidine), does he moisturise his skin after? the chlorine can be pretty drying as it is a disinfectant after all..baby lotion would do the job & not cost a fortune or smell like a ladies boudoir, I use chromolux eyedrops (chromoglicate) which seem to do the job.
  • I tried to search but to no avail since the forum switch!!

We both swim in the same pool often at the same times (although I try to go in the mornings as often as posible for precisely the reasons Didds mentions!). I sometimes get a milder variety of the symptoms but only rarely - hence why I thought it might be an alergy/sensitivity thing.

He does wear goggles, and while I've never paid that much attention to his showering technique I think it is pretty standard. I'll suggest he tries all of the above (noseclips, baby lotion, eyedrops), but does anyone have any experience of anti histamines clearing things up?
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    i had the problem of running nose, sneezing etc and have been using a nose clip...it was worked wondered...not a good look but it's better than sneezing and having a running nose all the time... can't help you on the antihistamines tho...