Home Chat General Chat

Should I buy a pair of Newtons

I'm in the market for a new pair of trainers and have been suckered in by all the fuss about Newtons. I'm more inclined to forefoot striking than heel so think they may be good for me.

However I'm reluctant to buy online without giving them a go first. Anyone know of any London stores that sell them and have gait analysis? Or anyone have any experience running in them?

Blurredgirl... How are you getting on with yours? Still good?

Comments

• BmanBman Posts: 442
    I know Up and Running have them. I think they have a few stores in London
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Dave -Dont forget to ask the magical Britspin as he has some!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Good one Baz!

Mr Britspin, any advice please? You happy with your Newtons? Or am I just a sucker for bright colours?
  • BlurredgirlBlurredgirl Posts: 292
    Dave,

I love them, I really do. I am a midfoot striker so the whole science thing seems to work for me - I run faster in them for sure, I've taken 2 whole minutes off my PB using them.

But also, they are so comfortable and so light. I try to save them for racing as they feel like my feet are floating when I've been training in my old Supernovas; however they are so nice to run in that I sometimes 'treat' myself to a long training run in them. I don't want to wear them out 'cos I would never be able to afford to replace them!

I had no issues at all getting used to the lugs - although did start with a few short runs. But no injuries, nothing, just blissful running.

So - I'm a convert. If you have the dough, then I would do it. I've not seen them for sale in any running shops, though.

blurredgirl
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    There's a new shop in Clapham called Pioneers who have some Newtons (although not sure they keep a lot of stock of them - best to phone beforehand). They also have gait analysis so you can have a go.
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    Hi Dave,

Running Shoes London in Sheldon Square behind Paddington Station is a good bet for buying Newtons and gait analysis.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Thanks guys and gal

I want them even more now after that report Blurredgirl, they sound like they have magical powers!

There's no way I'm telling the misses how much they cost though! Will check out the stores suggested and see whats what...
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Only if they look fast.

If they don't then why bother? Its your legs that do the running!

But, as i say, if they look good then by the laws of triathlon you MUST have them, otherwise you will be damned by the tri gods.

:roll:
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Flavadave wrote:
    they sound like they have magical powers!
    That's what I'm hoping. Currently I'm thinking of getting some (and a copy of ChiRunning) to get me back on my foot again after I have my knee removed next week.

Really, just looking at ways of minimising knee damage - and trying to change a biodynamic action that caused it in the first place. Obviously, I don't know for sure that failure to midfoot strike has caused the knee problem, but I'm a great believer in the motivational powers of a nice new shiny bit of kit
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    They cost lots therefore by virtue of the first law of triathlon, they are very fast.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I hear my name called.....yes I do posses such winged foot holders, but cannot report as positive an impact as previously mentioned. They are light, they are airy & I did a pretty good interval session this morning, so I do like them, but cannot make great claims..never raced in them either.
  • garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    by virtue of the first law of triathlon, they are very fast.
    I feel another thread coming on..... :roll:
  • combatdwarfcombatdwarf Posts: 258
    I have had a pair for six months and I have never looked back.

I got them initially as I had shin splints (and previously anterior compartment syndrome) and they were suggested as a way of reducing leg stress during running. I am naturally a forefoot striker (although I am 86kgs) and as such they suit. I also massively over supinate (and pronate a little too - I know great biomechanics!!) and so purchasing trainers is always a challenge - my previous pair were bought after tons of gait analysis and I ended up with Brooks Infiniti...still good but heavy...

The Newtons are light and fab to race in - although at about mile 10 I wished I had my Infinitis on when I did Wimbleball....I am a complete convert! My only issue is trying to go back to my old shoes - I did a 10km training run in them and my legs hurt again (with a 3month break...) so back to the Newtons no problems

Apparently there is a new version coming out the "Isaac" Newton which will cater for the forefoot runners who like to be able to relax onto the heel every now and then...

Really cannot recommend them enough - IF - you are a mid to fore foot runner

Iain.
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    Hi,
    Sorry to jump in here but, am I right in hearing that these newton trainers reduce the chance of injury?

Like alot of people on this forum I've had my miniscus cartlage tidied up in my right knee (2 years ago next month) although i can run, i still know its there.

I'm up for anything that will reduce the chance of injury!

How much are they? £100 -£120?? Bargan if they keep you injury free.

Are they more suited to lighter runners?
    I'm going to do some research for sure, cheers for the thread.