Home Chat General Chat

Confessions of a newbie!

Hi all,
Just thought I would pen a quick note on my first Tri yesterday, Harwich Sprint (300m, 24k,5k).
I drunkenly agreed (bowed under peer pressure more likely!) to do my my first sprint at Christmas and found myself, 6 months, and some fairly hard training (for me) later, standing next to the pool with a couple of people in front of me and in front of a good turnout of friends and relatives watching, waiting for the go ahead to get in the pool. This I couldn't wait for as having "Carbo Loaded" the night before and eaten the best part of a kilogram of steamed potatoes (!) I just wanted to get going and feel the wind under my wings (if you know what I mean!!).
The swim was hard as, having trained on a 14 metre pool, and competing on a 25 metre I was ready for the turn way before it came.
Got out of the pool and sprinted into T1, friends and family all screaming encouragement, found my bike straight away and bolted to the mount point. I shouldn't mention the golden rule of putting on your helmet before unracking your bike as it's such an obvious point that only the most swim-fuzzed of newbies could make that error!
Setting off on the bike I could only berate myself for being so stupid, and told myself that I must keep going as a DQ wouldn't actually make any difference as I was only racing the clock, and also the fact that I hadn't actually moved the bike other than lifting the saddle out may count for something.
Settled into the bike and got down low on the aero bars of my trusty commute-every-day-hybrid.
Other than being passed twice by the blur of naked carbon, the bike went really well. The marshals were awesome, so encouraging it was great.
T2 went well, and started the run with fairly heavy legs.
After about 1k I remembered some pearls of wisom from Conehead, along the lines of "what is the point of crossing the finishing line with anything left in the tank?" and managed to step up the run a bit.
As I ran towards the finishing line I could see my supporters ahead, which helped give me a bit of a final push, and crossed the line in 1:16 (splits were 7:02, 48:32, 21:13).
I absolutely loved the day, everyone was so friendly and encouraging. If anyone takes anything from this post then my advice would be to do lots more brick sessions, and maybe not to eat quite as many potatoes the night before!
Lastly, just want to say thanks for this forum and all the motivation it has provided.... can't wait for my next one!!!
Cheers

Comments

• gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Congratulations on a great performance, and hope the supporters enjoyed the Tri experience. Time to get the schedules out and book in for the next one.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Wow! Awesome splits - pretty good going off just six months of prep. You seemed to keep everything together for a really well paced effort! What next?
  • thebouythebouy Posts: 61
    Thanks very much guys, but I wouldn't say I had it together, see my point about how I didn't (wink, wink) lift the bike out of the rack!! Next on the menu is knee surgery I'm afraid, so no more racing this year (unless there are some events in November/December?). But am absolutely itching to do my next one....plan is a couple more sprints, and then possibly an OD towards the latter part of next season.
    Also, happy days, I've got the wife to let me get a road bike...up to £700. So I will probably hold on until later in the year when the 08 models are cheap, as due to my knee it's not like i'm going to need it for a while.
    I honestly think this forum is great for advice and maintaining motivation!
    Cheers
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Fantastic first effort! oh for a 21 min 5K run leg
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    great work thebouy! So did you get a DQ?

Great times by the way, you must have been passing loads of people on the run you ripped it up man!!
  • thebouythebouy Posts: 61
    Thanks Flava, No DQ for me (literally lifted the bike off the rack but did not move it anywhere, still crapped me up though!
    Was just happy to finish with a respectable time!
  • gavinrigg06gavinrigg06 Posts: 176
    And what's wrong with starting the run with your helmet on, you never know you could trip up and bang your head - Ok so I felt a right tit when I did it, but I realised as I ran over the timing mat thank God,and gave it to a marshall !!! - Lucky for me no-one had a camera pointed in my direction at the time.....
  • JonhinioJonhinio Posts: 289
    It's when you run out of T2 and you still have your bike shoes on that you have to worry

Great report and well done on the result
  • Nice work ..
    I got my 5k run time down from 28 to 26mins .. but i too am jealous of your 21min run .. that is next on my list.