Home Chat General Chat

My First Ever Open Water Swim

md6md6 Posts: 969
Well I just thought that I would share with everyone that tonight I am having my first ever open water swim. And whilst I am looking forward to it my wetsuit has been impotent in the wardrobe for far too long - i am also bricking it.

So - anyone got any tips for how i can be less scared about it? Oh and has anyone swam in the Serpentine? If so what's it like????

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Its great fun mate.......just get in nice and slow and give yourself plenty of time to adjust to the temperature RELAX before you set off like a fish!

Only done it once myself but found having a float around and dipping my head in few times really helped when it came to actually swimming!

Oh....and try not to drink the bloody water!
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Expect to be able to see nothing. Get in and float about for a few minutes and put your head under a few times. Let some water in the top of your wetsuit - this warms up quickly and keeps you insulated. Try to breathe properly.

Don't worry if you panic, it will be easier the next time!
  • nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    Relax and you'll be fine get in early lay on your back and get used to the difference. Take it easy and don't forget to have fun and oh yeah relax.

Let us know how it goes.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    No advice, but I'm off for my first open water experience in the sea at Bournemouth now and a touch aprehensive. Best of luck to you.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Guess you're doing the swimfortri thing. I did a session there a couple of weeks ago and thought it was great. Well the serpentine was full of weeds and algae when I swam there but the water wasn't too cold.

The coaches are really good. They'll get you swimming in groups, sighting, turning (couldn't get that one), and generally buildling up your confidence in the water. We also did a mass start which was fun, followed by a lap, then a quick run up and down, another lap, then out and off with the suit.

Great fun overall. You'll love it mate seriously!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Cheers, yeah Falva it is the swimfortri thing. I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for the advice I'll try not to drown, to relax and breathe. I'll let you all know how it goes. Weeds and algae - yay!
  • brizzichickbrizzichick Posts: 166
    didn't know swimfortri were doing a swim in the lake.....i'd like to go to the serpentine sometime in the next couple of weeks so would like to hear how it goes...
    So i have a few observations: firstly: wow, that is so different to a pool! (I thought i;'d start there as they can only get less obvios from here); secondly, my goggles may be ok for the pool but in open water they aren't, they leaked (which has me worried about eye infections etc) so i wil invest in a new pair; third, it is not that bad once your in there and going; forth I shouldn't be so timid in the water no one else is so I can't afford to be.

It was great! I had such a good time, and the water was surprisingly clean - although lots of weeds and in the shallow water and by the bouys it was really tough as it got caught in my arms and legs, and when it went in my mouth i wasn't too pleased...
    Oh the other thing i found was that it is more tiring swimming in a wetsuit as it was more effort getting my arms up out of the water and forward,so my arms are knackered.
  • nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    Well done welcome to a whole new world.

You did better than me on my first OW swim.
  • Well done MD, you're like a fish to, er, water...
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Nice one MD! Yeah those weeds are pretty big in places... Great work though, bring on the next eh?

This may start a debate but aquasphere kayenne goggles are great. After some initial issues (just getting used to the I guess), I've had no problems at all.
    Cheers Flav, yeah i was wearing the Seal XP and I think they were just too big for my face - I'll try my Aquasphere eagle next time and hopefully they'll be better. The weeds were bad in the shallow end and around the bouys, but all in all it was fantastic. I'm really looking forward to next week. I willhave to practice sighting in the pool this week, particularly when tired. it got a little difficult in the 'mass start' where all 40 or 50 of us went together. One big plus - i wasn't last back!!!! 3rd from last, but not last!