Home Chat Race Chat

Ironman Austria or Germany 2010

jimajima Posts: 2
Looking to do one of these events next year as a first attempt at the IM distance. There seem to be a lot of similarities in terms of dates, relatively flat courses, freshwater swim, great atmosphere, huge entry fee (!) etc but can anyone recommend one above the other?

I visited the Klagenfurt area last summer and certainly it is a stunning location however it isn't as easy to reach as Frankfurt where as far as I can tell you can get more convenient than staying in one of the airport hotels.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Comments

• macdonaldimacdonaldi Posts: 10
    If it doesn't have to be an IM event, just an IM length, consider doing the Quelle Challenge Roth. It's a HUGE event, quite near Nuremberg, Germany. It's coniderably cheaper than the IM events too.
    I'm taking part this year. Everyone I've spoken to about it that has done it speaks very highly of it.
    A couple of weeks ago I took part in the half ironman distance event (Kraichgau, Germany), run by the same organizers. It was very well run. (I happen to live in Germany between Frankfurt and Roth). You can get all the info on Roth here:

http://www.challenge-roth.de/en/index.php

Good luck with your training, whatever option you go for!
  • cammykcammyk Posts: 36
    Just be aware that if you are flying that the Ryanair Frankfurt-Hahn airport is not actually near Frankfurt. There are plenty of smaller hotels outside of Frankfurt in the Taunus area(Koenigstein,Oberursel etc) so I'd avoid staying at the airport. If you need any more on Frankfurt let me know , I lived there for 6 years and still visit regularly.