Home Chat General Chat

OD finishing times

I've got the opportunity of doing my first OW OD this weekend, but to date I've only done pool based Sprints, and haven't really trained at/for the longer distance. I'm planning on doing a half distance Aquathlon at the venue tonight, just to test myself. I'm sure I can complete the distance, but I would probably finish in the 2:45 - 3:00 mark.

Has anyone else made the step up, what sort of times did you achieve, and is it significantly different to a Sprint, or just more of the same?

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    I did 2.47 on Sunday.

I was a bit disappointed with my run in particular, 56 minutes. See my Deva Tri thread for details.

Briefly though, this year my previous races (sprint and shortish duathlon) have been a lot quicker (15 - 20 minutes) than similar races last year, and I'd knocked a big chunk of my 1/2 marathon pb (admittedly the previous time was years ago) so I was hoping to go nearer 2.30 for the OD than I managed.

The swim was slower and longer than a sprint, but OK. The bike for me was just the same but longer. Running felt like it had last year in races - a slow plod where I couldn't get to move my legs any quicker, rather than the other races this year where it actually felt like I was running reasonably fast.

I'm hoping extra experience and training will mean I can do better at Bala in September.
  • gunforhiregunforhire Posts: 457
    My first OD is the Norwich Triathlon next weekend.
    My target is sub 2:45 but I'd be happy with anything under 2:50 on the day.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Knew you'd be back gunforhire! Hope your logging in problems are all sorted now.

First OD for me in September, also aiming for 2hr 45mins which would make me very happy. Still smiling at under 3hrs... not so happy over 3hrs.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    1st OD in Sept.

Target times are:

Swim 00:30:00 - knock off around 7 mins (off only ow 750 swim i've having swum 2 x 400 before - and pretty hung over!!)
    T1 00:02:00
    Bike 01:20:00 - same speed as sprint just 10 miles longer
    T2 00:02:00
    Run 00:50:00 - 24 mins 5k in sprint

Total of 02:44:00

2nd sprint on Sun so see how my times have come down....
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I was setting myself a rough breakdown as:
    Swim 30:00
    Bike 1:30:00
    Run 1:00:00

Total 3:00:00

I'm hopeful that I can better each of the above, but as fatigue builds up and speed reduces, not too sure. i'll report back on how it goes
  • nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    I did my first OD at the weekend and it was great fun, my time was 2.46 I think.

swim= 33.51
    bike= 119.00
    run= 46 ish

my transitions could of been a lot quicker but Ithink I could of given a bit more on the run, but really pleased for my first of many OD.

How much of a step up is it to go sub 2hours 30?
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i did my first od 3 weeks ago and aimed to get in somewhere between 2:45 and 3:00, ideally nearer the first.

i came in 2:33, with 27 for the swim, 1:12 for the bike and 54 for the run, with about 3mins in there for the transitions.

i was esctatic at the time, but i still think there is 5mins to be taken out of the run. also, the bike route was pretty flat so that time might be a bit quick compared to other courses.

mostly it is more of the same, but if you have a tendency to hammer the bike hard then you might find there is a lot less in the tank for the run.
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    Good point. I think it's a 'lack of confidence' thing, and don't want to get to T1 with only my bike left there. However, I only started this Tri thing in February this year, with the intention of doing a Sprint or two. I;ve done four already, with another three booked in, and then an OD event was on my doorstep so thought I'd step up to the mark, but not sure of I'm really quite ready for it. Only one way to find out. And someone always has to come last.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I did 2:27 ish in my first OD - but it was a very fast course. And i am a bit suspicious that the swim might have been a bit short.

Be careful about your run pro-rata. If you gun around the bike like I did (i.e. at sprint distance speed the whole way around), you might find 10k on knackered legs is very slow. To give you some perspective my 10k pb is 38:58 (hilly). My time last week on a flat 10k off the bike was nearly 53 minutes...
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    don't get bogged down in predicting what your finish time might be
    I'm trying to come up with a time prediction for my first 70.3 in May.

The prediction could be +/- about an hourish!!!

So far i've gone for:

Swim 39s per 25m
    Bike 14.93mph
    Run 12 1/2 min miles...

Good to have a target but will prob just try to stay within a heart rate range on the day?!?

I know this has very little to do with the thread!!...soz.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Mowf wrote:

Be careful about your run pro-rata. If you gun around the bike like I did (i.e. at sprint distance speed the whole way around), you might find 10k on knackered legs is very slow. To give you some perspective my 10k pb is 38:58 (hilly). My time last week on a flat 10k off the bike was nearly 53 minutes...
    I belted round the bike leg as quick as I could without holding anything back. I guess I could have paced it a bit more slowly and run a bit quicker but my bike is my best discipline out of the three so didn't want to cut off my nose to spite my face, as it were.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Yea, it's the age old conundrum. I'm thinking that i am a better runner than i am a cyclist (I'm a shit cyclist and a better than average runner) so i should probably slow down on the bike and save more for the run. I guess it all just comes with experience though; knowing how hard you can push and how it will affect you later.

I've got another OD in a week at Dorney Lake, so I may try slowing the bike down a tad and seeing what happens.
  • JessterJesster Posts: 482
    Two weeks to go til my first OD and i'm wigging about the swim of all things, which is my strongest discipline!! the wetsuit thing is bugging me, cant seem to move my arms properly and my neck aches after a while too. anyone else find this? have i got the size wrong? it doesnt feel like a second skin!!!!

starting to feel like i've bitten off more than i can chew, but i'm sure i'll be able to limp round ok!