Home Chat General Chat

Heart Rate Monitors

Hello all,

I trust most of you have one? What did you get and why? Does it work in water? Any reviews or advice would be awesome

Thanks,

Muscles

Comments

• nicknofingernicknofinger Posts: 284
    On on a budget as well please as everything in my triathlon life.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    Garmin 301 affectionately known as the brick HRM survives water but wristwatch element does not wouldn't want to try and get a wetsuit over it- I like it because you an download it and admire the swiggles, set your HR zones, set intervals and all sorts and it will do the bike - they're dropping in price especially on e-by as the newer versions come on line
  • Ron99Ron99 Posts: 237
    I've had a Suunto T4c for a while but have really started using it in anger about 6 weeks ago. It's been great - nice easy to read display and reliable information from the sensors (I've got heart and foot). It works under water, but the display isn't that easy to read as there's a slight curve on the screen. They also produce a memory belt, which records all your data for viewing later, and this could be a good option if you're interested in using it for swim training.

The heart sensor belt is really comfortable - much more so that other ones I've tried. Doesn't slip down either which used to really p1ss me off with the Polar I had before. I don't really use the coach mode, cause I work within my own HRM program, and the numbers could be a bit skewed anyway (as swim, bike and run all have different max heart rates), but I can see how it would be useful. My missus likes it on hers. It attempts to give you advice on what zones to work in, based on your previous week's training.

Just bought the PC interface but haven't been using it for long enough to get much benefit from analysing the data. Does save it all out to the computer rather than overwrite the log on the device though.

Extra features include interval training, the coach obviously, calories, and all the usual stuff.

Overall, would recommend it. It does what it says on the tin, and does it well. Easy to use, clear display, and reliable. It can be paired with GPS, bike cadence, PC, foot and heart sensors and there are some good deals out there on price. Good bit of kit.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    HRMs - love 'em.

Had one since 2002. Polar S410. Now have a Garmin 405.

The main reason is to stop me training too hard - otherwise every run is a race. I can have an easy/lower intensity run, and not feel guilty about it not hurting.

They are an essential tool for the self trained athlete - but there is quite an art to using them correctly.
  • I purchased a Suunto T1C recently which is the entry level Suunto HRM and I honestly can't fault it.
    Watch looks great with black strap, background and contrasting digital readout with white surround.

Don't notice the chest strap at all once its on and its very discreet. You don't need any ECG gel for Suunto straps either.

The watch is also comfortable to wear and has a 'hold' function to stop buttons being pressed during a session, especially useful when I'm off-road mountain biking. It is also water proof but I haven't improved my swimming enough to justify HR training in the water yet!!

The Suunto's work with the Life Fitness gym equipment which is a bonus I didn't expect and not widely publicised!

Like Jack, it helps me hold back a bit with whatever exercise I'm doing as I tend to be over eager and push as hard as I can in exercise normally. Handy for keeping tabs on fitness improvement.
  • gdh250467gdh250467 Posts: 237
    I too have the Suunto T4c, excellent piece of kit. Far better than any Polar's I've had previously. It is water proof, and I've used it througout all my races. The 'lock' feature on the buttons is good, as prevent any mistken presses.

I like the summary where it gives total time, peak HR, aver HR and calories burnt.

Can't comment on how it works with fitness equipment, has haven't tried.

However, there is the new Garmin 310XT which also has a HRM function, and I'm sure a few of us are eagerly awaiting it's release (late July ). If you're in the market for an all-singing-all-dancing piece of kit, could be worth waiting until then.
  • hamiltonhamilton Posts: 7
    I've had a Polar F11 for a few years.
    Easy to setup, use and read.... difficult to impossible to download from (used to work, now doesn't, but think that's a laptop problem).
    Belt is flexible and comfortable, (got the 'fabric' one, rather than the basic version), compared to the hard plastic Garmin one.
    Has a bunch of functions I don't use, but have used the heart-rate alarms (bleeps if above/below a level).
    Also, it's basically a watch, so unobtrusive...
  • cammykcammyk Posts: 36
    I've got a Suunto T6 and a memory belt and the footpod. You need the memory belt to record underwater as It doesn't connect to my watch when I'm swimming. The memory belt records fine in the water, it just can't transmit well enough to the watch but its not a problem as you are recording it on the belt anyway....I'd say the Suunto is 4 out of 5 its not perfect and I went thru 2 of the older HRM belts, each lasting about a year<warranty>. The T6C looks nice but I can't justify the extra for a few wee bits of functionality. Anyway I need it less and less now
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    I swear by my Polar RS800CX - it was damn expensive, but it's so nice!!
    The foot pod is sprisingly accurate (after my last 10k it showed that I had run 9,95km), I also use the speed and cacdence sensors on my bike, they also work really well and with the new WIND transmitter it never gets bothered by interference (the tram lines used to screw with my old HRM).

It also works fine in the water....I don't like wearing the HR strap in the pool though, it tends to move around a bit, especially when you push off the wall. Under a wetsuit it's fine though.