Home Chat General Chat

heart rate monitors

Just after some advice from others about HRMs. Been thinking about getting one, probably a Polar, but reluctant to get one with too many 'bells and whistles' if you know what i mean. Too many functions just puts me off. My wife got a Polar S625X i think and doesnt use half the functions. Think i'm after one that would help my running mainly but easy to use is the main thing. Whats views on the RS polar series? or could I go simpler than that even? Cheers for your help. John

Comments

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    No idea which one that is, but I have the F6 Polar one and that does pretty much everything I need it to. i.e. its a bog standard HRM and so I use pretty much 90% of its functionaility. Could be worth a gander. Cheap to.
  • FigmentFigment Posts: 3
    I got one of the older Polar monitors, (carn't remember which one) its just has simple functions, target heart rates, time in target zone, stop watch, etc, and to be honest the three things I've mentioned above are all I use it for.

Don't see the point of anything else, but you have to ask yourself what do you want it for and then you can find the appropiate one for you. Don't bother wasting your cash the top of the line bling machine.

• I've had a pretty basic polar heart rate monitor - an A3? - for a few years now, which has done great service at the gym, but it drives me mad on the bike outside, because it won't display heart rate and stopwatch at the same time. I have to flick between the two, which is useless for intervals. - worth checking that yours will do that, at least...
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    mine a pretty basic dhb number I got from wiggle - I only really use it on the bike as most of the running and swimming I do I gauge on pace - does about 14 things but I only use 3

a)avg hr - for the end of the session if this is in my training zone then I have hit the correct intensity

b)max hr - also for comparision at the end

c)current heart rate is in the zone I am training in - it beeps when I go over..I allow this to happen on hills but on the flat /smaller hills I back off a bit if it goes up..

probably not making the best use of it but its working okay for me....

• I use a Polar (can't remember which one either...) and find it very useful. I don't use all the functions but one I do find very useful is the lap timing function. I use it to time my 100's in the pool, for out and back run's and ride's etc. Useful on a 10k run to check your 1k split's throughout the race.

It does have one drawback and that is that it is not coded and therefore liable to "crosstalk" from other Polars. I would seriously advise spending the extra on a coded model to avoid the frustration of a ruined workout.

Cheers

Craig
  • luna46luna46 Posts: 1
    Hello I'm a new italian menber, a runner. I'm using my second hr monitor: casiio chr-200.

Heart rate and interval training (two indipendent timers with n°repetitions). for a runner or biker is a very good hr-monitor!

i but it at 125 euro(130$?).

BYe,

I hope in the future to became a triathlete...
  • Hi!

All the comments earlier are spot on. Get something simple that displays the information that you need and in a way you can see and understand it fast. The higher end HRM add some great features but to be fair (speaking as a coach and a PT) much of that information is useless if you dont know how to apply it or if the base information is not accurate. For instance if you have a Vo2 MAX number in your head that was derived from submaximal testing or done on equipment that is not the sport you train for and then enter that value with other assumed numbers, other values that are calculated from those base figures become abstracted and therefore a little misleading. In addition to this your HR is just one of many things you need to be 'listening' to. This only gives you an idea of what your heart is doing at that time. (Remember that some HRM read every 10 seconds, so expletive intervals become a little tricky to measure) Even respiratory calulations are based upon heart R-R reading. The body parameters we can all listen to for free are the obvious, muscle soreness, breathing, breakdown of good form, even our own facial expressions. The other thing to consider when doing brick sessions is to remember that Vo2 does correlate with HR in steady state exercise but does not accurately correlate with HR during start stop training sessions. In conclusion to all this I would, in my opinion, buy a simple HRM from a good manufacturer, spend the extra money on a Vo2MAX and lactate test, and finally, get a coach, even if its every so often. Money well spent, in my opinion.
  • GraemeGraeme Posts: 48
    Hi

I use a polar F5, that does pretty much al I need for riding and running. it displays the heartbeat and stopwatch at the same time and generally has been pretty good. If you dont want to spend a fortune, you can pick them up on EBAY from some of the shops, so You'll get a new set for around £25 (List is 49.99). Also, if you want to go cheap, then argos do a really cheap one for 14.99 by target fitness. That'll do everything that you need on realyu basic functions (HRM, Watch, Stop watch, average, Max HR etc) for pretty much next to nothing. Although it's totally down to personal tastes and training methods, the really expensive ones are full of functions that i wouldnt have a clue how to use or benefit from.

Good luck.
  • pdundepdunde Posts: 99
    does anyone have any idea which issue of Tri220 contains the review of the garmin 305 forerunner? Ive seen it but cant seem to find it again? Might have been in one of my lost mags.
  • CenCen Posts: 10
    I use an own brand monitor from decathlon. Covers the basics and generally comes in notably cheaper than the polar equivalent. It also worked fine with the polar compatible equipment at my old gym, although it did not have an encrypted code and so would cross talk in the gym (on the odd occasion i was near another hrm wearer).

Not sure where in the UK Decathlon have branches, but for generic sports goods like this they're worth a look.
  • RobRob Posts: 209
    I've been using a Nike C5 for the last three years and been very pleased with it. Tells the time, got a stopwatch, heart rate, & at the end of a run it'll tell you your average HR &, if you have programmed in HR zones, the amount of time you have spent in your zone. My only criticism is that it has no lap/split times, but I believe the next model up, the C5 I think, does store laps.
  • Oooh sports gadgets is one of my favourite topic! There are basic model options w Polar, and they are more affordable too. Try Bios Fitness brand as well, they make units comparable to Polar. They have a range of models from basic to advance. Good luck!
  • billigabilliga Posts: 3
    Hi jk, given that you are only after something that would help your running, the Polar RS series will do the job. If you are not particularly interested in speed and distance and want something simple, the Polar RS100 is good enough. It has the usual heart rate measuring features, plus lap taking and interval timers. However, if you want to measure running speed and distance, then Polar RS200SD is the next simplest one to go for.