Home Chat General Chat

the grin

Had some sketchy training weeks lately but for today the grin is back!.. it's still on my face because I swam my first OW 1500m race last night and got an official chip time of 32.09mins.
A little slow it may be, but this was goal overcome for me as i can do the distance in the pool fine, but struggle as soon as I'm in a more pressured or unknown situation, I previously had to switch to breast stroke after about 150m.
Last night i ensured i started slow, thought about my breathing and my stroke .. made myself relax and enjoy the swim. I felt the odd panic coming on a few times when i clipped someone else or suddenly thought i was off-course, but I'd just slow the stroke .. re-focus the breathing and get back in the zone .. the final 375m I really let it all go and found a great stroke.
I did make one mistake and missed one of the buoys on the 3 point turn .. however once i realised, i wasn't having that, and swam back and around it so actually probably could have got about 30+secs less.
I kept up the crawl all the way non stop apart from the odd messed up bit of sighting and collision, not an inch of breast-stroke. YES ..!!

right, who can i tell next .. the colleagues are all avoiding me as they can see 'the grin' meaning I'm about to bore them with more talk of healthy things ..

achievement reward - bacon baguette this morning, and seeing AC/DC tonight

next major goal .. OD in sub 3hrs (hopefully a sub 30min swim) at the South Coast Classic 15.08.09.

Comments

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 335
    yeeeeeha - well done keep grinning
  • DavidHDavidH Posts: 47
    Hey fella.

Was a good night last night. Brilliant effort on the swim. Told Paul and Ross who were impressed.
    Onwards and upwards.
    Think you should be upgrading that september Sprint to the 70.3 with Ross and Myself ;-)
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    You keep that grin on your a grinfacw and wear it with pride.
    I have had for 2 months since the first tri. my face is begining to ache a bit though.
  • 70.3 .. 'now, steady son' .. that sounds like a 2010 mission for me.
    The Guernsey sprint will be my 2009 warm down race .. besides we'll be surfing too and I'll require the extra energy to maintain my drop-in status ..

Thanks all .. happy Friday arvo .. which i am spending well on the Forum and eye'ing up new goggles on various websites.
  • DavidHDavidH Posts: 47
    Ahh, but 2010 is the year of the IM.
    Think you just need to man up

Have you got anything on before The south coast tri now?
    I was going to do steelman with Ros next weekend, but what with baby number 2 due 2 days after, i think i'll probably play it safe and just go watch.
    Still, i get a nice 3 week training...errr, mean paternity break
  • man up ?! .. why i oughta .. !!

Am thinking of signing up to the Eton evening series July 29th so I can get a good time comparison. bit close to the London Tri but I'm only doing the swim (he says having completed the swim only once before ) .. ah, enough thinking .. i'll sign up now.

I'll make an exception for your sleepless nights leading up to the event .. I'll have a cup of tea waiting for you at the finish line.