Home Chat General Chat

Extreme training

i got to thinking on my way home from work yesterday, i wonder what people's most extreme training session has been? The reason for my query was the fact that i was at the time partaking of my own most extreme ever session.

Since march i have been regularly (2-3 times a week) commuting to work by bike. It's a lovely 15 mile trip, quite rolling with a good portion of the Langport tri route (my local september race) and a couple of good hills thrown in for that added bit of fun.

Since i started i have managed to trim my time down by what i think is a fairly respectable 30% and dropped just over 2 stone. I enjoy the ride as it's all lovely country roads, even the main A372 which makes up most of the journey, but last night was different.

I finished work at 5 and having switched into my lycra clad superhero alter ego, i wandered down to the bike shed and unlocked my trusty steed. As soon as i stepped onto the tarmac to mount, a distant peal of thunder rolled over my eardrums.

'Odd, they didn't forecast that until friday?'

Thinking nothing mopre of it i hopped aboard and began pedalling. I'd travelled about 2, maybe 2 1/2 miles when it started to rain. Not heavily, but enough that i noticed it. I don't mind cycling in the rain, it washes the salt away and keeps me cool, so i was quite happy with this at the time.

Maybe 5 minutes later, another peal of thunder, louder this time.

'Was that a flash on the left?'

I pedalled on, wondering if there would be a nice display to watch once i got home. The simple answer was no, i was smack in the middle of the display from that moment on.

The intensity of the rain dramatically increased, and suddenly the lightning was there. Flashes about every minute or less, huge bolts across the somerset sky with the thunder crashing in about 15 seconds behind.

The huge amounts of water falling from the sky were causing me more problems as the drains all started backing up and flash flooding started to appear on the roads. Cars were taking apparent delight in throwing lakes of water over me as i struggled my way through puddles 3-4 inches deep past hidden potholes and sewage rushing back up through drain covers.

I wondered whether the rubber tyres provided any insulation, or if that was all just on old wives tale. The thunder was now 12 seconds away, 8 seconds, 4 seconds.

I was now riding past the Lime Kiln Inn, the temptation to stop was irresistable. The locked door appeared immovable.

Many times i've heard about cyclists relieving themselves without stopping but i always found it an impossible task. Not yesterday, and not just a number 1.

The bolt hit the ground in a field to my right, about 100 yards away. There's a funny noise when it's that close, in addition to the clap of the thunder there's a kind of thump and a little fizzle.

I think that in addition to the 4 foot bunny hop, my pace must have increased at this point because i found myself getting home last night in a new PB.

It's taken a while for me to be able to post this, it had to wait until i got into work as the electric was on and off last night.

Funnily enough, the bike stayed home today.

Comments

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Great story Joddy, and glad you made it through!

It brought back memories of when me and the misses were caught in a lightning storm out walking on a greek island a couple of years back. Like you it just came on very quickly with strikes all around and trees aplenty. We were absolutely sh1tting ourselves.

At one point we just both looked at each other and without saying anything we started to leg it. The hotel was about 3 miles away, but I think we sprinted every step of the way so could be called a training session... No idea what our splits were, but I'm pretty sure we set a new world record.

And we drank a fair amount of wine that night in a major celebration of life!
  • chapperschappers Posts: 97
    has to be a fell run in the Lakes (around Hayeswater) in November a few years ago. Donned shorts, long sleeve t-shirt, running gilet and a bobble hat for good measure... oh and trusty inov mudclaws (the bastard child of a threesome between track shoes, rock boots and walking boots... basically lightweight 4x4s for the feet)

2000ft up and full on winter broke out - knee deep in snow, wind and snow... two walkers coming the other way (sensibly in full winter gear) looked at me as if I was mental, but I was loving it - I tried to give a cheery hello but couldn't move my lips ... just had to stop to take the attached pictures ...

[attachment=2:1wyh7nlf]start.jpg[/attachment:1wyh7nlf]

[attachment=1:1wyh7nlf]snowy-foot.jpg[/attachment:1wyh7nlf]

it got worse here and my camera stayed in the bag!

[attachment=0:1wyh7nlf]worst-over.jpg[/attachment:1wyh7nlf]

don't try this at home!