Home Chat General Chat

crap swimmer

If i enterd a pool based tri say 400m and i had to stop every 50m as i am a crap swimmer would i get DQ ?

the bike and run are not a problem by the way

Comments

• 25m crawl ,50m breast stroke, forever backstroke ! dont think they would like that

I think that the best idea is to add swimming to my training plan . and start from the begining
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    I swan BS for my 1st sprint last year and in the 426m swim I stopped 5 times so no, they won't care. Just be honest with your swim time when you enter so you don't hold anyone up.

You'll be fine.

ps - I'm not much better now
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    426M swim? That's a bit random!
  • ParkbenchParkbench Posts: 1
    I saw at least one guy doing backstroke at the recent triathlon in Nantwich. Oh, and lots of people stopping for a breather at the end of the pool.
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    I think the pools ones are much more relaxed, i like OW cause i'm not a very strong swimmer (though have no fear of being out in a lake etc) but the buoyancy of a wetsuit means you can 'have a breather' while on the way. I'm going to to the northwest Tri which is an outdoor pool...so no wetsuit....i'm hoping they will let me rest a little...lol
    so it seems general consensus is....you'll be just fine
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    you would be fine...nantwich there were loads of breastrokers, i also saw a guy walk the last part of each shallow end length!....not sure about backstroke you might get rescued......good comment made earlier..be real honest with the swim time and everyone will be supportive...
  • [quote][I'm going to to the northwest Tri which is an outdoor pool...so no wetsuit....i'm hoping they will let me rest a little...lol
    so it seems general consensus is....you'll be just fine/quote]

i think thats the one i am thinking of entering
  • transittransit Posts: 163
    In a recent tri I attended they specifically highlighted that backstroke (due to orientation) and butterfly (damn, that was gonna be my choice!) were not permitted. Breastroke is no problem at all. Like others said, put down a realistic swim time and everyone will respect you or if in open water get near the back so you don't kick the front crawlers coming through.

I took a couple of friends to a few sprint tris recently and they all did breastroke, had a rest at the end alot and had a brilliant time!
  • Just enterd the Northwest tri Fun cat due to it only having 200m swim , i recon about 8mins for the swim give or take , might even be able to BS the lot in one go
  • I get why no Backstoke since the sign for distress in OW is to lie on your back and wave a hand in the air, and you cant see where you are going, but what on earth is wrong with swimming fly if you want to??

I have to say I'd be damned impressed if I saw someone doing fly for their whole swim... after 50m I'm a spluttering mess!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    As before, just be honest with your time and there is nothing to stop you asking on the day if you could be put in the first wave.

If you do stop then just stay at the side of the pool/at the end and keep out of the way of the others. I suggest you do not backstroke as if you do that on an OW you may get a dozen kayaks descending on you and hauling you out, and walking is a no no
  • I think I might have cocked up ,

I initially entered with a estimated swim time of 8 min , then I actually went to the pool to see how fast and if I could actually swim 200m , I discovered that it was about 6min which I then sent an –mail to the organiser to inform them of my mistake , I have since visited the pool 2 more times and today I had an epiphany , I can now actually do the sprint distance (500m) comfterbuly without stopping (13minBS) Now the Bike and run are not a problem for me in fact the run on the fun tri is a bit short (for my ego)its 2.5k where as on the sprint its 5k the bike is the same.

I am now going to have to e-mail them again to change my entry again Doh!
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    It's only 400m HTFU
  • Im SpartacusIm Spartacus Posts: 204
    Fun2tri are the lot that organised the recent Henley tri, where you do 4 lengths in each lane. TBH it was such a farce you could pretty much do anything and they wouldn't care as long as you started on time 09.13.20sec
    I hear next year there is talk of doing away with the lane ropes all together